Safe Places to run in San Antonio (Read 84 times)

Christirei

Hello all, I'm traveling to San Antonio this weekend and hoping to be able to get a couple of runs in. We are staying on the Riverwalk but other than that, i am unfamiliar with the area. I have stayed in Austin before and love the trail that circles the lake in the downtown area, does San Antonio have something similar? As a single woman is there a safe trail or area to run in, probably in the early morning hours? around six or seven? My traveling companions aren't runners, so i will be alone

If you're running early you can run right on the riverwalk pretty easily. Later in the day it's too crowded. I found a decent route going north on the riverwalk and connecting to a golf course and park for a longer run:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/c8906a0c287048d0abcd9882084833e9/workouts/e022f6dcb26f481dbcd76ba61fd7c57f#map

I've also done runs that were a combo of riverwalk and city streets where you can run past the Alamo and other historic sites. The dowtown streets in S.A. always seem very  safe to me (granted, im a guy.) It's very touristy and well kept.

Runners run

KurtN

There is a greenway that heads south from McAllister Park where you can get up to a 16 mile run (out and back). McAllister park is about a 20 minute drive from downtown, and also has plenty of dirt/grass trails if you'd prefer that. Should be a few cyclists and runners out during the morning, but not so many that you have to worry about dodging.

Christirei

thank you so much!!!

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Just one runner's experience.  The last time I was in San Antonio I had several run-ins with packs of dogs roaming the streets.  I was staying on the River Walk.  I was only a few blocks out of the downtown/River Walk area.  I was out early between 0530 and 0600.  I wound up on top of a drive up ATM to avoid one pack.  These weren't coyotes.  These were dogs.  They were mean, aggressive of mixed breeds and sizes.

Just something to keep in mind.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Christirei

WHAT ?!? how long ago was that??

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

WHAT ?!? how long ago was that??

This time last year: early May.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Feeling the growl again

In my experience a challenging place for a good/safe run.  I settled on staying directly on the Riverwalk.  There is a track close by...within a couple blocks...which I was able to access for workouts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

GC100k

If you're running early you can run right on the riverwalk pretty easily. Later in the day it's too crowded. I found a decent route going north on the riverwalk and connecting to a golf course and park for a longer run:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/c8906a0c287048d0abcd9882084833e9/workouts/e022f6dcb26f481dbcd76ba61fd7c57f#map

I've also done runs that were a combo of riverwalk and city streets where you can run past the Alamo and other historic sites. The dowtown streets in S.A. always seem very  safe to me (granted, im a guy.) It's very touristy and well kept.

I was there several times for conferences and ran on the riverwalk early AM. Had it to myself essentially. At least one time I connected to another trail and ran up a ways, might be part of the route you showed.

One time ScottyDog picked me up at the airport and we ran through some woodsy trails near his house and then he took me to my riverwalk hotel.

There is a greenway that heads south from McAllister Park where you can get up to a 16 mile run (out and back). McAllister park is about a 20 minute drive from downtown, and also has plenty of dirt/grass trails if you'd prefer that. Should be a few cyclists and runners out during the morning, but not so many that you have to worry about dodging.

I've run this while visiting San Antonio.  It is a fantastic option with several points to access the trail through many of the cities parks.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You've probably already gone for your runs now, but I found it fun to run all over downtown.  I inquired at the front desk and they said it was safe.  The clerk blinked at me, though, and said, "It's raining!"  At that very moment, a bunch of guys happened to run past the front door and I just smiled at her.  Smile

KurtN

Hello all, I'm traveling to San Antonio this weekend and hoping to be able to get a couple of runs in. We are staying on the Riverwalk but other than that, i am unfamiliar with the area. I have stayed in Austin before and love the trail that circles the lake in the downtown area, does San Antonio have something similar? As a single woman is there a safe trail or area to run in, probably in the early morning hours? around six or seven? My traveling companions aren't runners, so i will be alone

How did your run(s) go?

Notne

I just saw this, sorry. Are you done running in SATX? If not, and are still looking for good places to run, write back here and I'll mention a few. I love to run in neighborhoods because the traffic is at a minimum. That trail to McAlister Park is a great suggestion also.

Christirei

I'm home after a LONG day of travel yesterday, those storms that rolled through TX really messed up all of the airports!

I had a great girl's weekend trip, but I didn't get to run as often or for as long as I had hoped. The first morning my girlfriend wanted to run with me, but she isn't a runner. We ended up doing about three miles on the Riverwalk towards the Pearl and back before she had gone as far as she could.

We slept in the next day and then I got a short run in yesterday before I headed for home. I stayed on the Riverwalk and ran south to the King Williams distrct, I ran up and down several of those streets ooogling the houses! So gorgeous!

I had hoped to be able to run more, and I wish that I could have....I loved the area and definitely would have liked to explored the missions on foot, but planning the day was always totally up to me! oh well, definitely motivation for going back. Thank you all so much for the suggestions!