Effect of Job Type on Running (Read 442 times)

Kalsarikännit

I don't know how this relates except in a small way in my own slightly bent mind, but it was a good read (as always).

http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/2014/03/the-running-bum-as-sad-and-admirable.html?m=1

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

And that is the thing about stress. A great deal of it comes from choices we make. While there are some things that are unavoidable (caring for a sick parent, etc, although I guess if you were a shitbag that would be avoidable), a huge amount of stress could be avoided.  People choose to spend huge amounts of money on accumulating vast amounts of bullshit (flat screens, massive houses, nice cars), drive themselves into debt (stress), and have to work all the time (stress) at a job they hate (stress).  Staying married to someone that makes you want to take a 9 iron to your own head (or theirs), causes stress. Continuing relationships with friends and family that make you unhappy causes stress. Having kids causes stress. People make the decision to add stress to their lives. Everybody has things they could do to make their lives less stressful. It's just a question of what sacrifices they are willing to make to live stress free.

In fairness to the deceased individual in question, it was a short-term position that was supposed to launch him onto a desirable path which was then pulled out from under him largely due to politics out of his control.  MTA it's situations with lack of control I've found most stressful.

That said I get your point and largely agree with it.  Though I think the idea of trying to live to be stress-free is a fool's errand.  Yes, marriage, kids and career cause stress sometimes.  But if the net is positive they are a benefit to life.  Running causes stress too....it's knowing what the proper balance for you is.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

I don't know how this relates except in a small way in my own slightly bent mind, but it was a good read (as always).

http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/2014/03/the-running-bum-as-sad-and-admirable.html?m=1

+1. Jeff is always a good read.

SusanRachel

I recently went from a job that was mostly walking/on my feet to virtually 100% sitting.  I get up every hour on the hour and do something - push ups, crunches, lift some weights (one of the other guys has a bunch of dumbbells that I use).  Usually my exercise time is only a few minutes per hour, but it adds up and I work much more efficiently during the rest of the hour.  As to the running, what everyone else said.  Slow down.

kk_kittenkat

I think it all depends on the individual, certainly some jobs are inactive and you have to make a conscious effort to move. For me personaly, the more I do physically the more I can do physically.