Olympic Marathon Trials (Read 308 times)

Outside Lane

Great stats for data geeks!  Glad NBC had this on yesterday.

A look at how the 2016 men’s and women’s races unfolded, via splits and stats.

http://www.runnersworld.com/olympic-trials/how-the-race-was-won

See how they run...

beat

Break on through

I agree! Thanks for posting that article. There's a lot of information beyond the winning times.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

DDXD

Slower than I look

Thanks for posting this.  I really enjoyed watching the trials yesterday.  I always wish I could see more data related to splits and distance while watching though.  It was nice to see this breakdown to see how the race went down by the numbers.

jfa

Very cool, thanks.

How about how close the finishing times are to each other? Whoa.

kilkee

runktrun

The winning times aren't that close.  30-60 seconds on the roads is pretty much losing contact with the runner in front of you. You see them up ahead on straight aways, but possibly lose them on turns, and it would take a hell of a kick to close a 200m gap.  Only someone taking Saladbar sauce could probably manage a kick like that.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

DaBurger

Everyone in the Men's race entered by qualifying with a time that was between a 2:08 and 2:18 marathon, or 1:00-1:05 half marathon.

The field actually spread out a lot.

Know thyself.

The warm weather made it a race of attrition, and that's why the times were spread out at the front and even more so after the top 10 or 12.

Was surprised by the High % of DNF. (about 1/3 of men and 1/4 of Women).

I realize a certain pct of elites were go big or go home; but realistically runners outside top 20 - 30 probably didn't have much of a shot and would think this is a lifetime achievement just to be in the race to say you finished X place in Olympic Trials??

My Top 3 Props:

1.  to the runner who was 30 mins off the lead at Mile 15 and finished ( Christopher Barnicle).  You made it that far you might as well cross the line baring Injury.

2.  Kara Groucher who at 37 beat her Qualifying time by 6:39 to earn alternate spot.

3. Meb who set Master Record and 2nd place;  gives hope to the old guys out there.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

#artbydmcbride

1.  to the runner who was 30 mins off the lead at Mile 15 and finished ( Christopher Barnicle).  You made it that far you might as well cross the line baring Injury.

Chris Barnicle looked so miserable the last two laps, but he kept moving!    We cheered like crazy for him!

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

3. Meb who set Master Record and 2nd place;  gives hope to the old guys out there.

Is that US Master record?

(I remember that Geb ran a WR when he was over 35, and world masters records seem to start at 35, for whatever reason--so for a time, the marathon master WR was identical to the open.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

HermosaBoy

Chris Barnicle looked so miserable the last two laps, but he kept moving!    We cheered like crazy for him!

He did look pretty rough.  But as I said to a friend -- at least he was in the race.  Not too many can say that.

Hi Ilene...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Is that US Master record?

(I remember that Geb ran a WR when he was over 35, and world masters records seem to start at 35, for whatever reason--so for a time, the marathon master WR was identical to the open.)

Assume Masters was over 40; as it used to be when I turned 40.

Article just says "...., but his 2:12:20 is a new US Masters Marathon Record".  Looks like they have not updated records site; as Meb had previous record of 2:13:32.  But good that a Master runner is still # 2 in country.

American Masters Marathon Road Records

pending
                            women-only

Men

Division Performance Name Location Date
                          40-44 2:13:32 Meb Keflezighi
                          (40)
                          New York, NY 2015-Nov-01
                          45-49 2:16:58 Mbarak Hussein
                          (45)
                          Minneapolis, MN 2010-Oct-03
                          50-54 2:29:11 Norm Green
                          (51)
                          Lincoln, NE 1984-May-06
                          55-59 2:33:49 Norm Green
                          (55)
                          Lincoln, NE 1988-May-01
                          60-64 2:42:44 Clive Davies
                          (64)
                          Portland, OR 1979-Oct-28
                          65-69 2:42:49 Clive Davies
                          (66)
                          Eugene, OR 1981-Sep-13
                          70-74 3:00:58 John Keston
                          (71)
                          Minneapolis, MN 1996-Oct-06
                          75-79 3:18:10 Warren Utes
                          (75)
                          Chicago, IL 1995-Oct-15
                          80-84 3:59:05 Jerry Johncock
                          (80)
                          Minneapolis, MN 2008-Oct-05
                          85-89 5:15:31 (p) Jerry Johncock
                          (85)
                          Grand Rapids, MI 2013-Oct-20
                          90-94 6:46:34 Ernest Van Leeuwen
                          (92)
                          Los Angeles, CA 2005-Mar-06

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Meb's 2:12:20 ranks 22nd on the all time list for 40-44 AG.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wrmcmanus

Was surprised by the High % of DNF. (about 1/3 of men and 1/4 of Women).

I realize a certain pct of elites were go big or go home; but realistically runners outside top 20 - 30 probably didn't have much of a shot and would think this is a lifetime achievement just to be in the race to say you finished X place in Olympic Trials??

This also struck me as interesting. I know that at least on the men's side there were a significant number of qualifiers who got in via half-marathon times, and many of those men were actually running their first marathon. I'm wondering if that group may have been a major contributor to the high DNF %.

Yes an interesting question. Pretty easy to calculate and you could even do a cross tab analysis to see if there was a statistical difference. I don't have time today/this week but you could look at the qualifier info and finish status, take maybe a half hour each for men and women to go through the lists?

This also struck me as interesting. I know that at least on the men's side there were a significant number of qualifiers who got in via half-marathon times, and many of those men were actually running their first marathon. I'm wondering if that group may have been a major contributor to the high DNF %.