Like Being in High School Again (Read 399 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Running ultimately is a lonely sport. Having running mates is nice when it happens and even better if you run similar paces, but even then you might both have different objectives for the day or you are in different stage of your recovery (or partied a bit too much last night) and one of you is compromising, which is fine if you are not OCD about it and can rearrange your schedule if needed.

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

GinnyinPA

Have you checked to see if the local running club has a facebook page as well as the web page?  Our nearby clubs really vary in their online activity, but generally facebook is much more active than the club website.  If they do have a fb page, ask if there are any local runs planned, or if anyone wants to join you on xday at x time to run y distance at z pace.

If you see them often and run by them, give them a friendly hello a few times.  If they smile and say hi back at some point, maybe try talking to them the next time you see them and tell them you'd really like a running buddy. Anyone you would want to run with would understand what it is like to want a friend in a place where you hardly know anyone.  I would give them an out though when asking... saying something like you know that some people prefer to run by themselves.

You also might want to try dailymile.com.  I had someone who had just moved to the area send me an email and ask if we could run together.  We have run a few times since, and we get along great.

At the Air Force marathon, I parked about a mile from the start.  One other gal parked in the same area, and she was getting ready to walk to the start. It was still fairly dark out, but she parked right by me. As she got out of her car, I opened the car door and asked if she would like to walk to the start together. For a split second she looked a little confused until she realized what I asked. She welcomed the company, and it kept us from walking a mile in the dark alone in an iffy neighborhood.

If they say no, there is no need to take it personally.  They don't know you so you really need not take it as personal rejection. More likely than not, they would have said no to anyone who asked.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

runlikeagirI

I second this.  I met one of my best running buds this way.  I signed up for an event a couple of years ago and added it to my dailymile schedule.  She was signed up for the same event and saw me log a test ride on the course.  Sent me a friend request, commented on it and we met a few monhts later.  I did almost all my long runs for my March marathon this year with her.

You also might want to try dailymile.com.  I had someone who had just moved to the area send me an email and ask if we could run together.  We have run a few times since, and we get along great.