Split toenail (Read 4652 times)

ud32

Ouch ! I stubbed my left big toe last night, Once it stopped bleeding I noticed it was split vertically about half way down the toenail. Walking with shoes on is fairly uncomfortable. Can I run with this "injury" ? Anything I can do to help it heal or make running easier ? This ever happen to anyone else ?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ouch ! I stubbed my left big toe last night, Once it stopped bleeding I noticed it was split vertically about half way down the toenail. Walking with shoes on is fairly uncomfortable. Can I run with this "injury" ? Anything I can do to help it heal or make running easier ? This ever happen to anyone else ?

A couple of winters ago I banged my toe against the edge of the wall and it swelled up and in purple.  The worse part was to put on sock because it pushed it down (I have Morton's foot and my second toe is longer than my big toe).  So I cut of the tip and made a hole and it really releived the pressure and I was able to run with it (I wore a shoe a half a size bigger as well).  And here's to you, Trent: http://lydiardfoundation.org/blog/userfiles/image/IMG_2045a.jpg

With a cracked big toe nail, you'll have to determine if the pain is from the pressure of sock/shoe or pushing the ground.  Big toe is much worse than other toes because it's the primary "push" toe.  If the pain is from pushing the ground, you shouldn't be running.  Any other activity, even stationary bike or stair master, would be better than running...or even walking (you'll still push off with your big toe in walking).  If it's from pressure, you can first try cutting off a hole on your sock and, if that's not enough, well, cut off a quarter-size hole on the tip of your shoe.  As dedicated as you are (trying to run with a cracked toe nail), sacrifice of an old shoe shouldn't be too much--I've done it myself though it wasn't because of a cracked toe nail.

ud32

It definitely hurts worse with "push off". I haven't tried running, but just walking it hurts at the push off phase. Upon closer examination - ha ha - the "split" is actually an "L" shape - goes straight down the toenail about halfway makes a right turn - perfect L shape! Ugh!

May try a stationary bike or elliptical and see if that can be my cardio for a little while. The good news is my intention for january was to cross train much more and run less then re-focus on running training in Feb.

I crushed my toe under a gate whilst on 26 mile training run on Sunday, lovely blood blister under the toenail which I popped on my arrival at home. Best thing to do is keep it clean, antiseptic and a plaster during the day, dry by night, no plaster to allow it to dry out.

If you have any snags on it snipped them away with scissors, when you run keep it taped but if it hurts stop until the soft tissue heals.

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

One time I was getting a pedicure and a girl came in with a similar injury. They used the acrylic stuff that they make artificial nails from to patch it up. She was a basketball player and had apparently patched it up once before so she could play. Or, super glue it. My fingernails are really strong so when they break they break down into the skin - I patch it up using a small piece of tea bag and super glue.

I guess all of this is irrelevant if it hurts to run or if the tissue under the nail is exposed...but perhaps it could help.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think I would try liquid bandage (similar to, maybe the same as Super Glue) and athletic tape all around the toe.  It may take a day or two for the pain to ease up.  Keep making sure it isn't infected.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Pictures please.

I can't help but would like to wince from afar.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                Tim Hardy

UD32;

It might hurt, but I don't know why you can't run with your toe situation, especially if you wrap it up. You're probably going to lose it. Not unheard of in long distance events; although I've never split one, I've lost all of them at one point or another due top the fact that the one I lost in whichever event was too long, or some such thing. 

Must have hurt on impact....

Tim

UD32;

It might hurt, but I don't know why you can't run with your toe situation, especially if you wrap it up. You're probably going to lose it. Not unheard of in long distance events; although I've never split one, I've lost all of them at one point or another due top the fact that the one I lost in whichever event was too long, or some such thing. 

Must have hurt on impact....

Tim

All due respect, Tim, I've been running nearly 40 years now and I can count how many toe nails I've lost from running with one hand.  It may appear to be feather in a hat to have black toe nails but it only shows lack of judgement for appropriate equipment (=shoes).  What is your criteria for picking your running shoes?  Fit and comfort?  Or color and brand name?

What is your criteria for picking your running shoes?  Fit and comfort?  Or color and brand name?

Ability to hide bloodstains.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

ud32

No need for pictures now, got rid of all the dried blood and stuff, it looks pretty insignificant. No more pain when walking, maybe the soft tissue under the nail has healed. Gonna wait until Sunday and wrap it and try a short run, any pain and I'll head indoors to the staionary bike.

Anybody know any supplments to take to make your toenails grow faster ?? I guess the nail will eventually grow and the split part will fall off or I will trim it off.

ud32

I am able to now run just fine - I bnadage it up to prevent it getting caught on my sock or something and can run no problme. Wonder how long it will take to grow out.

Run till it falls off and then keep running harder so it won't grow back.  That way no more toenail problems.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am able to now run just fine - I bnadage it up to prevent it getting caught on my sock or something and can run no problme. Wonder how long it will take to grow out.

Both great toenails are coming off - the podiatrist went ahead and cut part of each off yesterday.  Looks hideous.

How are you bandaging such that the bandage doesn't rub toes raw.  I will be running 100 miles in 4 weeks and need to get this figured out.

Thanks!

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)