MY FIRST IRONMAN - Beach to Battleship Race Report (Read 2447 times)

Congrats Tony! Am I reading it correctly that you swam 2.4 miles in 1:14 and still were only 65/68 in your AG? I thought 1:14 was pretty fast. I'm lucky if I can swim 1 mile in under 40 minutes. Also, nice job on the marathon portion, looks like it was less than 20 minutes off your PR. Something tells me you could set a new marathon PR in your sleep!
      Congrats Tony! Am I reading it correctly that you swam 2.4 miles in 1:14 and still were only 65/68 in your AG? I thought 1:14 was pretty fast. I'm lucky if I can swim 1 mile in under 40 minutes. Also, nice job on the marathon portion, looks like it was less than 20 minutes off your PR. Something tells me you could set a new marathon PR in your sleep!

I was thinking the same thing... I always thought that a 1:20 swim would be a "good" goal time. (about 2:00 / 100 +/- some).

I'm guessing that was a typo....

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

That was by far one of the best race reports ever. Very inspiring. I teared up a few times Wink  I remember almost 4 years ago when we were at the Cedars of Lebanon sprint tri you were talking about how scared you were of the water.

You've overcome a lot to get where you are today, Ironman. It's very admirable.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks for the report, Tony, and congratulations!  Very inspiring!

Netizen Kane

Excellent - best thing I've read today. Nice job.

Thanks Bigbunny!

Way to go TonyP!  And thanks for taking the time to write that.  Very inspiring.

Thanks Norm!

Way to put it all out there Tony. Well Done!

Cool! Thanks Tramps!

Here ya go:

Thanks Clive! Hope she enjoys it!

+1.  I sent the link to my wife, a non-runner -- I'm sure she'll appreciate the drama and your mettle.

Thanks Perry!

Congratulations!  And great report.

Thanks Flatfooter! Yes, the swim was much faster due to the tide coming in.  We had a strong current pushing us through the channel, so compared to others times, mine was back of the pack.  I would estimate that it cut 20 minutes off the time I would have with no current.

As for the marathon, I was very happily surprised with it, and I have thought about finding a marathon soon while I still have the fitness from ironman training. 

Thanks Candice! I remember that day at Cedars very well.  It's still one of my favorite races every year.  I'm looking forward to your report from this weekend!

That was by far one of the best race reports ever. Very inspiring. I teared up a few times Wink  I remember almost 4 years ago when we were at the Cedars of Lebanon sprint tri you were talking about how scared you were of the water.

You've overcome a lot to get where you are today, Ironman. It's very admirable.

Tony, You ARE an Ironman. Great report and nice work.

I find it amazing and reassuring to me that you went from a 24 minute 400 yard swim in which you had to stop and rest at a kayak, to doing a 2.4 ocean swim in about 4 months.

I am currently getting into triathlon racing after doing one last year and one this year with a goal of competing in an Ironman by my 45th birthday. My wife has been doing them for about 5 years now and has been bugginh me to start doing them with her but the swim was something that held me back. I've been swimming pretty regularly now for quite some time, but the thought of swimming 2.4 MILES just freaks me out when I think about how I feel after doing 500yds in the pool at one time.

Question......Did you use a wetsuit on your 24 minute 400 yard swim? I keep telling myself that the use of a wetsuit should give me some extra boyancy along with confidence.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Thanks Robert!

My problem with swimming is sort of two part. 1. I'm not fast on my best day. and 2. My confidence in open water is not good.

I swam the 2.4 in a wetsuit, which helped tremendously.  It makes you very buoyant, and I've heard it estimated that you are about 15 sec per 100 yds faster.  My best swim in a pool (no wetsuit of course) this season was a 200 yd swim which took 4:00.  The 24 min 400 yd swim was open water and it was much colder than a lake I had swam in 3 weeks before. (about 70 deg vs 80 deg), so when I first went in the water, besides my normal nervousness, I had the dreaded gasp reflex that you get when someone splashes cold water in your face.  24 minutes included time spent hanging onto the side of 4 or 5 different kayaks, trying to get to the point that I could put my face underwater.

I found that even with a wetsuit, it took time for me to gradually get out in the water, away from the shore, and be comfortable that I could make it.  I remember one day swimming, and almost had the same type of anxiety I have without a wetsuit.  I was able to control it, but with more time in Open Water, it got much better. 

I felt the same thing about swimming 500 yds, but over the weeks and months, as you train longer, it gets more "doable" in your mind.  (Although admittedly, it is a long time in the water.)

If you're a weak swimmer, you'll LOVE the wetsuit.

Tony, You ARE an Ironman. Great report and nice work.

I find it amazing and reassuring to me that you went from a 24 minute 400 yard swim in which you had to stop and rest at a kayak, to doing a 2.4 ocean swim in about 4 months.

I am currently getting into triathlon racing after doing one last year and one this year with a goal of competing in an Ironman by my 45th birthday. My wife has been doing them for about 5 years now and has been bugginh me to start doing them with her but the swim was something that held me back. I've been swimming pretty regularly now for quite some time, but the thought of swimming 2.4 MILES just freaks me out when I think about how I feel after doing 500yds in the pool at one time.

Question......Did you use a wetsuit on your 24 minute 400 yard swim? I keep telling myself that the use of a wetsuit should give me some extra boyancy along with confidence.

Tony- what a fantastic report. I'm proud to know you.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth