Help needed: Am I injured or sick? (Read 75 times)

rtrafford81

Hi everyone;

First post for me on here so nice to meet you all and if anyone could help that would be great.

I'm an amateur runner who has ran 7 marathons. My 8th is due in a few weeks in Berlin (a course I am familiar with).

Training was going worse than normal, I'm not a very high mileage guy (peak 65km a week) and when not training for anything around half of that.

This training block for Berlin began around 2 months ago and is normally split between the treamdmill and outside.

A few months ago running 14km within the hour was perfectly doable but now I am actually struggling to run for an hour or less.

I am running in Nike Pegasus 35 and the issues are as follows: general tiredness, pains in my feet, ankle, backs of calves and knees and I am lacking any power or push from my upper legs. Mentally (usually a strong point for me) it's affecting my confidence when running and Berlin seems almost an impossible race for right now with it being a month away. My last marathon was Boston in April and I was fine then.

Nothing else has really changed. bar me being a year older (37).

Do I need blood tests or physio? Thing have hit a bad point today as I was meant to run outside for around 30km but knew I was struggling less than 5km in. I ended up stopping and getting the train home (which I have never done before).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BR;

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Always hard to tell when you’re in the middle of marathon training. Most of my runs feel like garbage this time of year given the heat and being deep into training, which can make you lose your confidence. However, as you stated, you’re not running very high mileage and you’ve been doing this before.

I would say take a few days off. If you come back and do an easy run of let’s say 10K and it still feels horrible, you may want to go get tested. But this could just be your body telling you that you need a break.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

rtrafford81

Yes it's a strange one and thanks for the reply. Not exactly this but less intense similar feelings have happened when I have increased the weekly mileage which is why I tend to keep it below 75km.

Think I might get in the pool for a week and see what happens.

GinnyinPA

It might be a good idea to get some bloodwork done. Low ferritin can have a real effect on energy and ability to run. So can thyroid issues or issues like Lyme or West Nile. A few years ago I had a cycle like yours that I blamed on summer heat. I ran the worst HM ever. A week later I got the test results back from my ferritin test and found out I was very low in iron. I started supplementing and was soon back to normal.

JimR

And that stupid life clock plays games too.  You’re volume is pretty low for marathon stuff.  You can get away with that to a certain extent when you’re younger, not so as you move on.

dhuffman63

Trails

Could it be shoes causing the pains in the feet, ankles?  Could be overtraining causing the tiredness?  I have an autoimmune thyroid condition that can cause severe fatigue if I don't be careful with my training.  I avg 30 mpw but have got to take 2 days off.

Yes what is your current mileage on the Nike ?

Also 14kms in 60 mins is quite fast. Is that pace a workout or normal pace ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "