Slump (Read 288 times)

Intentionally Blank

Hey y'all. I'm looking for advice on how to get out of a slump. I want to say I've been very unmotivated about running over the past couple of weeks, but I think it has been building up for quite some time.

I don't know what's going on, but I just seem to get tired really easily and end up running low mileage. I don't know if it's physical or psychological.

I have a running streak going, with a one mile minimum. Sometimes I do one mile and decide I've done my duty and call it a day.

Any advice on how to get my oomph back?

bhearn

I get there sometimes... the main thing is to have a goal you care about that is within reach.

If you have a streak going, to the point where it's an obligation, that can be unmotivating. Running has to be positive, either enjoying the moment, or working towards something you want. A streak is a pretty non-specific goal, unless you're working towards some magic number.

But sometimes there's no logic, and you just need some time away. I'd be willing to bet it will come back.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'd say drop the streak.  Take a week or two off so the hunger returns.  Then get back out there and enjoy your run free of slavery.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

Could you be anemic?  Maybe some iron in your diet would help.

Runners run

Intentionally Blank

Yeah, I kind of enjoy the streak, but without an end date, it does seem to kind of drag on for no purpose. I'm mostly just stunned that it has gone this long without injury, illness or major life events to stop it.

I haven't thought about anemia. Hmm.

I've been running a lot of 5ks with my daughter, and that has been super fun. But she's only ten, so we run them slow. Maybe if I ran a few at my own pace I'd get some fire back.

Thanks, y'all.

npaden

That was my thoughts. Get a goal race to train for or something. Hire a coach to give you a training plan to change things up. When I have a training schedule it really helps me keep focused.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Your shoes all have pretty high mileage if your log is current.

It could also be you are taking more abuse to your body than you need to. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Joann Y

I was also wondering about anemia, especially if you are vegetarian. I had a pretty crappy few months about 1-2 years ago where I constantly felt tired, out of breath walking up stairs, and motivation for running lagged etc etc. I can honestly say those iron pills did me some good. And, maybe it's time to let go of the streak (like others have said) as painful as that might be. Do it for the fun, ya know?

bhearn

Wow -- four and a half years. That's a long streak. I haven't gone over two months.

I added a goal to my streak - I intend to run 3000 km in 2015. For me that is enough motivation to keep going happily. And I plan to run one or two races this year, that also helps me to stay on track.

And +1 to possible anemia. Been there, and a good supplement helped me A LOT.

Time to see a doctor.  Have him/her check for iron as serum ferritin.  Make sure they check serum ferritin, the cheaper blood test is not good enough.  Also check Vitamin D while you're there.

Could it be overtraining?  I get that way if I run too many miles over a period of several months.

BeeRunB

Your body is talking to you loudly. Another thing to be aware of is your pace at the same aerobic HR or perceived exertion. If you are getting slower, then that's another loud message. Hotter weather will do this for sure, and sometimes you just need to cut back when it gets hot until you acclimate (here in Georgia, I'm now running in 80+º and I've had to cut back some). The main thing is that your body is telling you to rest. If the streak is an uber-important creative vision for you, I can respect that. Perhaps try just a mile a day really slow until you feel better. If you don't revive, get checked for the other stuff like anemia. Good luck and good health. 

Time to see a doctor.  Have him/her check for iron as serum ferritin.  Make sure they check serum ferritin, the cheaper blood test is not good enough.  Also check Vitamin D while you're there.

Could it be overtraining?  I get that way if I run too many miles over a period of several months.

I want to second the vitamin d suggestion. I had a pretty major running slump last year with inexplicably high levels of fatigue and lack of endurance. Blood test in the fall as part of a standard checkup showed My iron was fine, but I had critically low vitamin d levels - I can't remember the unit of measurement but I do remember that the number was 19.6 and anything under 20 was really bad, normal being over 50. Anyway, I've noticed a major change in my running, starting just a few weeks after starting vit.d supplementation.

But it so many things can cause a running slump. Life stress and forgetting to eat are two others that I've experienced. Hope you start feeling better soon!

King of PhotoShop

Am I glad I stumbled across this post!

Same thing with me.  Went to the dr. for my follow up prostatectomy to ask him what he thought.  He said maybe low testosterone.  So they checked for that and it's fine.  But the blood test showed "mildly anemic."  So I looked at the mult vitamin I'm taking and it has no iron at all!  So I switched to one with iron.  Helped, but not much. Same conditions.

Then I got talking with some runners who are vegan or vegetarian, and I'm on this VB6 diet, which basically means "vegan before 6 pm" or make sure your breakfast and lunch are vegan but eat what you feel like at dinner.

Turns out I was getting only half the grams of protein I really need, so I made some bkfst and lunch adjustments just focusing on protein intake.  After just one week of the change I now feel like I have plenty of energy on every run, including recovery runs where I used to feel completely dead.

I completely agree with others who suggest you analyze your diet, make sure it's balanced and giving you all the nutrients you need.  Good luck and please let us know as you proceed.  Spareribs

Intentionally Blank

I really appreciate all the suggestions. I am not a vegetarian, but I could probably stand to look at my diet.

I ran a 5k this morning, and discovered I'm much slower than a couple of years ago, but not as slow as I expected.