Can I go from fat and out of shape to running a marathon in 7 months? (Read 490 times)

ghart999

Hello all. I'm an overweight but naturally athletic person looking to go from 12-15 miles or run/walk per week to a Marathon in 7 months. Am I crazy or can it be done?

I am 5'11" 245 lbs at 44 years old. I have dropped 15 lbs in the past month by run/walking after doing nothing for years. I can run/walk a 5K in 40 minutes, but I doubt I could run more than 10 minutes without stopping. I have sleep apnea and recently had a wake-up call with pre-diabetic glucose levels due to eating like garbage and drinking too much beer. I live at 5800 feet in Colorado.

My goal is to achieve something I never thought possible. I am motivated and want to tackle something great in 2016, as I turn 45. My first notion was to get one of the Couch to 1/2 marathon apps for my phone and train alone. But then I thought, why stop at 13 miles for my 2016 goals and go bigger. My hope would be to run the Rock-N-Roll marathon in Las Vegas in mid-November, thus giving me 7.5 months.

Am I crazy to set this as a goal when I breath heavily walking up stairs and have a 46" waist?

Assuming it seems feasible, how should I proceed? Are local group training programs a must? I am uncomfortable running with anyone at this point and I don't know if it would be enjoyable around others once I can run for an hour. But having someone tailoring a running program to my health and ability also sounds good. I see there are online based training program that take your current fitness levels into account by using a heart-rate monitor and doing some calibration runs. Pear comes to mind and has an iPhone app with a monthly subscription to tailor a program such as this. Worth doing or not enough?

For what its worth, I went out to my local running store, did a treadmill test and analysis to find some good running shoes at $130 to fit my wide, high arched feet. Seems crazy to spend that much, but I want to make this happen.

Thank you for any and all advice you could offer.

Gregg

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't think it's gonna be easy though and YES there is a training program. I used the Hal Higdon program, can find it online. $130 bucks is prolly average for a pair of kicks, try to find the exact model online and you can find them little cheaper. I use Map my hike as an App for my phone. My buddy uses run keeper, there are prolly a  hundred different apps. Also, I don't use a heart rate thingy. I run alone, ain't really no big deal. I turn on my jams, fire up my app, and git gittin'. Best of luck, and there plenty of Pro's here to help fine tune your running.

MoBramExam

I am 5'11" 245 lbs at 44 years old. I have dropped 15 lbs in the past month by run/walking after doing nothing for years. I can run/walk a 5K in 40 minutes, but I doubt I could run more than 10 minutes without stopping. I have sleep apnea and recently had a wake-up call with pre-diabetic glucose levels due to eating like garbage and drinking too much beer.

Yes -- You can go from fat and out of shape to marathon in 7 months.

Yes -- This would greatly increase the chances of you going from fat and out of shape to marathon and back to fat and out of shape due to injury or burnout.

From your post, a sustainable lifestyle change like you are currently undertaking, rather than a "stunt", would appear to be a better long-term option.

runmichigan

Hello all. I'm an overweight but naturally athletic person looking to go from 12-15 miles or run/walk per week to a Marathon in 7 months. Am I crazy or can it be done?

I am 5'11" 245 lbs at 44 years old. I have dropped 15 lbs in the past month by run/walking after doing nothing for years. I can run/walk a 5K in 40 minutes, but I doubt I could run more than 10 minutes without stopping. I have sleep apnea and recently had a wake-up call with pre-diabetic glucose levels due to eating like garbage and drinking too much beer. I live at 5800 feet in Colorado.

Can it be done?  Yes

Would I recommend it?  No

I think first you need to ask yourself what your true goal is.  Is it to complete a marathon once to be able to say you did it?  Or is it to drive a permanent change in your lifestyle?  Yes you can train so you can complete a marathon in 7.5 months, but given your own assessment of your fitness (not being able to run more than 10 minutes without stopping) I would say that it will be a struggle to get to the starting line without being injured and then to get to the finish line.  Your body is going to need to adjust to the different physical demands you will place on it by embarking on marathon training.  This will take time - probably closer to a year.  Being overweight increases your likelihood of getting injured, especially if you ramp up your training too quickly.  I would recommend training for a shorter race - 10K, 10 mile, or half marathon - first and then go after the marathon next year.

If you are determined to go after the marathon still, I recommend the Hal Higdon Novice Marathon training plan.  You can pick it up online.  His expectation is that you will be able to run three miles without stopping three times a week before you start his 18 week training plan.  I find his novice plans are easier for beginners to stay on track and I like the step back week he has in his plans.  If you elect to go for a half marathon, he has some plans for that also.

By the way $100 to $150 for a good pair of running shoes is typical.  A general rule of thumb is to expect them to last for 500 miles of running, though heavy runners may need to replace their shoes earlier.  You will need a new pair of running shoes before the marathon (generally want 50 to 100 miles on them), so you will want to consider that expense in your plans.

kilkee

runktrun

I don't think you or your goal is crazy; I think it's a great goal, HOWEVER, I echo what others have said:  Be realistic as you train.  Setbacks are inevitable, fatigue and wavering motivation are inevitable.  You may not really be ready to safely run a marathon in 7.5 months, but your training and lifestyle changes along the way will absolutely be worth it and set you up for a stronger race next year. Start out slow and cautious, work up to running 2-3miles without stopping a couple days a week.  Let your body recover and adapt to its own changes as you (likely) continue to drop weight.  And have fun and enjoy the process!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You could give yourself permission to make your goal a marathon in 19 months rather than marathon in 7 months, if that is a more reasonable goal for your body.  See how it goes, and if you're ready that soon, fantastic; if you're not, there are plenty of shorter distance events you can focus on during the longer journey. Good luck!

L Train

If having this race out there is incentive enough for you to get off the couch, move, and have a few fewer beers, then by all means have it as a goal.  No doubt if you build a base over the next 3 months and then train for 4 that you could complete a marathon.  But I think for it to work you would have to love the process, not have it be a grind.

As for the running with people, I get it but you should reconsider that at some point.  Running solo is great, but having people around can keep it light while you surround yourself with people with like-goals and might help you start looking at yourself differently.   A person or a group can also help with discipline when motivation is lacking.  And those  long runs go by much faster with company.

#artbydmcbride

You will be able to run/walk a marathon in 5.5 to 6 hours in 7 months.  You will lose a lot of weight and get more healthy while training too!

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Better check the cut-off time for the Rock n Roll Las Vegas marathon.  I think they want to reopen the streets pretty fast.  Maybe sign up for the Half Marathon

Runners run

GinnyinPA

You might want to read this thread from RW:  http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/from-scratch-to-marathon-in-725-months

His story isn't your story, but it may give you an idea of what you are in for.

A couple of ideas: 1)  pick a marathon that also has a half marathon option, so if you aren't ready, you still have a chance to do a race in 7 or 8 months. 2)  Check out the Galloway Method of combining walking with running to complete races.  It's easier on the body than running non-stop.  3)  For the first few months especially, take it slow and easy.  Doing too much too soon is a recipe for injury. 4) as Ileneforward said, make sure that your marathon has a generous cut-off time.  If you end up walking the last few miles, you don't want to get swept up so you can't finish the race.

ghart999

Wow! You all are amazing. I didn't expect so much thought from these replies. I truly appreciate it. I do not want this to be a one and done goal by any means. I know I need a massive lifestyle change to live past 55. Based on all this great advice I am thinking that 13 miles in probably best. I hadn't thought of injury. Running a 13.1 successfully is certainly better than failing at a marathon due to injury. Thank you all for the great advice. I truly appreciate it. I will look into the Hal Higdon program for sure. They do have iPhone apps for this at $10 which sounds very reasonable.

I imagine that once I can run 3 miles @ 3x per week, I will certainly have a better idea of my base level. I am hoping I can be at that point by the time I do my 5K I signed up for on April 24th.

Cheers to everyone. This forums sounds like a great community.

I guess Ill echo what has been said..

Could you do it - Probably --- Should you do it - Probably Not (at least not this year)...

IF I were you I'd shoot for a Half marathon for this year......and go for a marathon next year.....   Half marathon is a tremendous goal and for some strange reason undervalued.  They are also less work and a lot more fun.    You can never run a marathon and get in great shape and be a good runner.   I have friends that are incredible runners (60-70 MPW and FAST as HELL) and only run 5K's..

Make sure when you decide to run a marathon you do it for the right reason.   I once had a coach who said if you want to run a first marathon pick one 18 months away and start your training.   I think he was right...

Champions are made when no one is watching

PixieDustRunner

I just wanted to say the Vegas Rock-n-Roll event is awesome. I ran the 5k and the 10k this year and it was a blast.  It's a pretty level course, though I'm not sure about the full.  If you sign up for the marathon but come race day can only do the half comfortably you have that option.  Train for the full smart and avoid injury by building a solid base slowly, come race day run the race you are realistically ready for.  The Vegas weekend is a lot of fun.

BigDaddyJoe

I'd like to reply, having a unique perspective.  I'm about the same age as you, and formerly overweight.  I had weight-loss surgery and lost 100 lbs.  I started the C25K program AFTER losing all the weight.  I could barely run for a minute without stopping when I first started.  I ran/walked my first 5k less than 2 months later, in just under 40 minutes, same as you.  I'm a year and a half into running, and can finish a 5k in about 28 minutes.  I'm not breaking any speed records, but I still consider it an accomplishment for me.  I've done 2 half marathons, the first one just about 7 months after first starting to run.  I'm currently training for my first marathon, which will be 5 weeks from yesterday.

Ok, that's my background, here comes my opinion.  I personally think it would be crazy to try to do this in only 7 months.  People thought I was crazy doing a half marathon in 7 months.  I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 marathon training plan.  It is 18 weeks long, and takes a huge commitment.  At this stage of the plan, I have a 10 mile run on Wednesdays.  I don't know your schedule, but for me that means getting up at 4 so I can run, take a shower, get the kids up and ready for school, and get myself to work.  Then a long run on the weekend (just did 18 miles this past Saturday), which could take 3-4 hours out of your weekend day.  So, speaking as someone who was once overweight and at a similar shape running-wise, it would NOT have been possible for me to get there in 7 months.  And I was no longer overweight when I started.  You will have additional wear and tear on your knees, and possible breathing issues.  I would personally go for the half marathon.  Don't diminish the accomplishment of a half marathon, it is not easy or anyone could do it.  I love the distance, and plan to do lots more.  I don't know if I'll ever do another full marathon after this one.  Training has been Hell, and is making me enjoy running less.  Take my advice for what it's worth.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh, and properly fitted running shoes are worth every penny of the seemingly overpriced price tag.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

Dream Maker

I feel I should point out because it pertains to this question that unlike most marathons the Rock N Roll Las Vegas Marathon has a time limit of either 4.5 or 5 hours. I forget which.   

Completing a marathon, almost definitely.  People have gotten up off the couch and run marathons.  How fast and easily you can do it without injury in that short of time depends partly on your natural ability, even given training hard.
                                Another one might be a better choice... Or do a half. That will be pretty cool, too, and do a better marathon the next year.