Training advice-- feel free to pick my log apart (Read 1097 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I am seeking the advice of some of the veteran runners here in order to avoid making any mistakes in my training. I am doing my first half marathon in about 4 weeks, and my log reflects simply base building to finish comfortably. After that, I am training for 17 weeks to actually “race” a half marathon in Phoenix in January. I have begun discussing 2009 goals with my coach, and he laid out two options from which I am to choose. The first was considering doing a marathon and focusing on building the base to do so (running just to finish, not for time). The second would be focusing on speed and working down my half marathon times over 2009. I know I want to eventually be a marathoner, as my longer runs are always much more fun than shorter stints and speedwork. I want to avoid too much too quickly, however, and want to leverage the experience of individuals here to make an educated decision. I’m scheduled to run 5 times a week (the last two weeks life issues interfered, but I’m back on track) and I do significant cross and strength training that I do not log. The cross training is a mix of kickboxing, cycling, tennis and the occasional elliptical. Strength workouts are 3 times a week, maybe going to 4x based on what the personal trainer work is bringing in says. Any thoughts are welcome. I’ve been running a little over a year, although I didn’t start actively logging until January. Chris

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

The simple answer is run lots more miles. This will accomplish both base building for a marathon and improving your half marathon times. Good luck!

Half Fanatic #846

I've been running about 4 years, and I dont' think I'll be ready for my first marathon for another year, but I've had a couple of injuries that set me back here and there. BTW, your 5K time is about the same as mine. But, I ran my first HM earlier this year in Feb. just to finish as a training run in 2:35. Then a month later I ran another one comfortably (at 80-85%) in 2:14. I plan on my third one in Oct. with a goal of <2:00. i think it'll be close! so, i had a plan similar to yours, and it's working out for me. i'm no expert, but i glanced at your log anyway. all your run types are pretty much at the same pace. why? my guess is that for newer runners, speedwork is not very important at this stage. i did my hms on an easy running schedule. and as far as doing a marathon is concerned, you are probably ok imho because you are 1. increasing your mileage nicely each month, and 2. you don't plan on doing one for a year or so. consider racing a couple of 25k-30ks between your hms and first marathon. have fun! :d bill i="" think="" it'll="" be="" close!="" so,="" i="" had="" a="" plan="" similar="" to="" yours,="" and="" it's="" working="" out="" for="" me.="" i'm="" no="" expert,="" but="" i="" glanced="" at="" your="" log="" anyway.="" all="" your="" run="" types="" are="" pretty="" much="" at="" the="" same="" pace.="" why?="" my="" guess="" is="" that="" for="" newer="" runners,="" speedwork="" is="" not="" very="" important="" at="" this="" stage.="" i="" did="" my="" hms="" on="" an="" easy="" running="" schedule.="" and="" as="" far="" as="" doing="" a="" marathon="" is="" concerned,="" you="" are="" probably="" ok="" imho="" because="" you="" are="" 1.="" increasing="" your="" mileage="" nicely="" each="" month,="" and="" 2.="" you="" don't="" plan="" on="" doing="" one="" for="" a="" year="" or="" so.="" consider="" racing="" a="" couple="" of="" 25k-30ks="" between="" your="" hms="" and="" first="" marathon.="" have="" fun!="" :d="" bill=""></2:00. i think it'll be close! so, i had a plan similar to yours, and it's working out for me. i'm no expert, but i glanced at your log anyway. all your run types are pretty much at the same pace. why? my guess is that for newer runners, speedwork is not very important at this stage. i did my hms on an easy running schedule. and as far as doing a marathon is concerned, you are probably ok imho because you are 1. increasing your mileage nicely each month, and 2. you don't plan on doing one for a year or so. consider racing a couple of 25k-30ks between your hms and first marathon. have fun! :d bill >

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

mikeymike

You have a coach? So why as us? Having said that, just run more and more often. Every day or just about. The half marathon is the distance you can race best off of pure base training anyway, so specific workouts are less important than they would be for, say, 5k or marathon. Long tempos, progression runs, and mabye some long (1000m - 2 mile) intervals at race pace are good HM workouts, but then those are also good workouts to do during base. And don't be so afraid to make mistakes--it's how you learn. We are all our own experiment.

Runners run

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

You have a coach? So why as us?
            My coach gave me two options, and instead of just doing what I want, I am deferring to others with more experience. It seems like the standard adage of run more, more often is the overall message, so the marathon as a base building exercise looks like the most sense at this point. Thanks!

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

mikeymike

It's a false dichotomy*. Running half marathons is great marathon training. And ideal half marathon training is almost identical to marathon training. *Nod to Jeff.

Runners run

Chris -- You and I are reall similar in our training and were we are in running to date.... I'm planning on a Marathon in late May (no real time goal). I had this same discussion with a coach from my running club and we are going to continue pretty much what I'm doing with slow mileage progression to around 30 MPW in Dec....and then start the marathon build up ...... but will continue the Wed track workouts (weather permitting - here in New England) cause I really like what it does for me (speed training and overall strength - and its fun to train with some serious runners once a week, to keep things in perspective)..... I cant speak for you, but I think this strategy would work for you also.....1/2 M and M training are pretty much the same thing - you need mileage and you need some speed (I know this from my past life - life before I quit running for a few years, when I used to run a lot more).... You seem good --- just slowly keep increasing....and youll get stronger...... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

A Saucy Wench

It's a false dichotomy*. Running half marathons is great marathon training. And ideal half marathon training is almost identical to marathon training. *Nod to Jeff.
                  Yup...train for marathon, race HM's works really well.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

My advice is for you to be patient. You are very young (older people say that ... am I dating myself?), and have many years of enjoyable running ahead of you if you so desire. If you want to run a marathon, that's fine, but don't feel like you have to run one on a timetable. Just plug away at the mileage as others have said, and let things evolve naturally. Even if you don't run the marathon right away the higher mileage will help you improve your times in the other distances, so your time isn't wasted. I hope that makes sense.

Not at it at all. 

My advice is for you to be patient. You are very young (older people say that ... am I dating myself?), and have many years of enjoyable running ahead of you if you so desire. If you want to run a marathon, that's fine, but don't feel like you have to run one on a timetable. Just plug away at the mileage as others have said, and let things evolve naturally. Even if you don't run the marathon right away the higher mileage will help you improve your times in the other distances, so your time isn't wasted.
                      Excellent advice.........and right on the button. Its not uncommon for people to try to hard to increase too fast to run a marathon too soon and simply burn out.........this may be the best advice given.... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Looking at your log, I think you should focus on steadily adding more easy miles throughout the week. I don't think you have enough mileage to justify doing intervals yet, and I think your long runs represent too large a fraction of your total miles.
                        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                          If I read your original question correctly, you are trying to decide whether to work on half-marathon or marathon next year. I would advise you to continue working on running consistency for your next 2 half-marathons and see how it goes. If you can run 5-6 days per week, build some mileage up (30-40 miles a week), and complete 2 halfs in good shape, then I think it reasonable to aim for a marathon next year if that is your heart's desire. If you have trouble with consistency, injuries, etc, then take your time. My 2 cents
                          RedSoxFan

Train like a marathoner, lots of miles, decent length long runs, and Race 5 and 10K's. Watch those times get better then tackle a full marathion. What's the rush?

Future running partner.

I think either choice is will be beneficial to you. If I were to guess your coach's planned training for the marathon would involve, higher mileage on the long run, but less mileage during the rest of the week. For the HM, the long run will probably not get as long, but your mileage during the week would be a little higher. Also if you are going for a goal time in the HM He/She will probably have you doing some tempo runs to get you used to running at goal pace. Other than that there probably isn't that much difference. I think its a matter of what will fit your schedule more and what you think you will enjoy doing more, at this point in your running progress. I myself, prefer running fast, so I usually have to limit my base training to a shorter period of time before I lose patience. I'm currently pushing myself through a long base period and it's taking a lot discapline for me to not run faster then I should be, but I am also using a first mary to motivate me to stick to it. You on the other hand mentioned you preferred longer runs, so it may be easier (mentally) for you to do a super long mileage build up with less pace change.
                              mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I think its a matter of what will fit your schedule more and what you think you will enjoy doing more, at this point in your running progress.
                                In my opinion that's the central question - which will you enjoy more - training for and running a 1/2 for a great finish time / possible PR, or training for and running a marathon to finish, not focusing on time. I imagine (as others stated) that your coach's plan for the fast 1/2 will involve more speed work, while training for the full will focus more on mileage and less on speed. Which of these prospects excites you more?