Cost Of Shoes Bears Little Relationship To Running Injuries (Read 749 times)

Rundadrun27

thanks for the link to the article. Perhaps I'll think twice before I shell out $120 for my next pair...

Menace to Sobriety

"The survey found that most respondents replaced their shoes within the AOFAS recommended 300-400 miles guidelines. All injury types occurred predominantly in shoes less than six months old and in shoes in which the respondents had run less than 300 miles. “This suggests that most injuries occur during the break- in period rather than after the shoe is worn down,” said Donald Bohay, M.D., Grand Rapids, Michigan, also an AOFAS, Public Education Committee member."

These numbers suggest that these are not avid or frequent runners. I replace my shoes between 300 and 350 miles and rarely get more than 2 months out of a pair.  This statement suggests that these people run less than 300 miles in 6 months, or less than 50 miles per month. I don't know of any running shoe that has a "break-in" period.

I'm not saying pricey shoes are better, just that the study has some flaws.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

A Saucy Wench

"The survey found that most respondents replaced their shoes within the AOFAS recommended 300-400 miles guidelines. All injury types occurred predominantly in shoes less than six months old and in shoes in which the respondents had run less than 300 miles. “This suggests that most injuries occur during the break- in period rather than after the shoe is worn down,” said Donald Bohay, M.D., Grand Rapids, Michigan, also an AOFAS, Public Education Committee member."

These numbers suggest that these are not avid or frequent runners. I replace my shoes between 300 and 350 miles and rarely get more than 2 months out of a pair.  This statement suggests that these people run less than 300 miles in 6 months, or less than 50 miles per month.

6 month break in period. heh.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Rundadrun27

These numbers suggest that these are not avid or frequent runners. I replace my shoes between 300 and 350 miles and rarely get more than 2 months out of a pair.  This statement suggests that these people run less than 300 miles in 6 months, or less than 50 miles per month.

So it's the running frequency that causes injuries.  Not the $$$ they paid for the shoes.  That's the point I'm trying to make. 

Menace to Sobriety

So it's the running frequency that causes injuries.  Not the $$$ they paid for the shoes.  That's the point I'm trying to make. 

Maybe its the running infrequency. The article also states this was done through an online survey, and that the 1200 respondents attributed the injuries to their shoes. Unless all the respondents were experts, this may or may not be true. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying the study has flaws.

MTS: Foot from mouth

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Menace to Sobriety

6 month break in period. heh.

Mine are generally in Central America or Africa within 6 months of purchase.

ymmv

Mine are generally in Central America or Africa within 6 months of purchase.

any reports of injury from there?

Menace to Sobriety

I donate anonymously.

...---...

The stress fracture percentage is interesting. Not that this book is a scientific study (neither is the survey noted in the link) but McDougall, "Born to Run" suggests that runners will plant or strike the foot harder, creating a greater impact, if they have cushioning (shoes) verses runners who run barefoot or with little cushioning. McDougall further suggests that cushioning, and as a result a runner will plant harder, may be more likely to develop plantar faciitis (landing harder on the heel) and stress fractures (powerful heel striking and thus stressing areas that the foot, ankle and legs weren't designed to handle). Sounds reasonable but I'd like to see some repeatable data from studies from a controlled group and controlled variables.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12