Sorry if a stupid question, but what exactly is a TEMPO? (Read 1514 times)

Blush I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (I love that saying) and I have not quite figured out what the different run types mean. I think I totally messed up my training log.

Michelle

Scout7

Well, what weren't you sure about?
        Well, what is a tempo (which I will go back and read in the recent posts) and what exactly is an interval, I mean, I know that it is probably an on off (faster/slower) but how do you put in for how long. For long run, can't there be different speeds?? Gotta run...I'll finish later (time for a meeting)....

Michelle

(I'm back - quick meeting with board members, I had my 15 minutes of fame and then escaped) Okay, and for race pace I think I have that one okay - the speed I would do in a race. But for the rest I think there are (in my mind at least) too many variations of how each could be. I think that I might have to change my options for run types to be.... 1. Easy 2. Medium (pushing but not race pace) 3. Hard (entire run at race pace, a true work out) 4. Speed (intervals included, tempo's included) Like this morning I ran an EASY run (since I'm nervous about Sunday's HM) for 30 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace. I'll figure it out, or fake it so that at least I can understand what my log means. Big grin

Michelle

Sluggard

Mississippi, whereas a tempo run is performed at a relatively constant "faster than normal" pace, sandwiched between a warm up and cool down period, interval training is done for much shorter distances. Here is my understanding, such as it is. An interval training session is usually identified by the distance of the interval plus the number of repetitions. You'll see them written as 8x400 or 4x800, and these mean "eight repetitions of four hundred meters." Since interval training is usually done on the track, the distances usually correspond to one or two laps. And what composes an interval is a "speed" component and a "recovery" component. The speed component is where you run at close to your limit, but not necessarily an all out sprint. I've seen it recommended to run at 80-90% of your maximum heart rate. The goal here is a short burst of speed that forces your body to consume energy anaerobically. The recovery period is a period of very slow jogging or walking. The goal here is to bring your heart rate back down to something approaching normal. From what I understand, both the speed and the recovery together are run/walked for the same distance. So in the 8x400 example, you go all out for a lap and then walk a lap. That's one. Repeat seven more times. Some intervals are 100 meters or 200 meters. In a 100 meter interval, you speed through the straight parts of the track, and recover in the curves. And in a 200 meter interval, you just run half the track and recover in the other half. I hope this helps. I'm just learning this stuff myself.
              hammerbeck Thank you! That did help. I guess I need to do my homework and educate myself on all the different running meanings! Now I need to go and change my training log entries to reflect the correct runs. Roll eyes I'll be printing this stuff out.

Michelle

Scout7

I think the real key is that you use terminology that you understand. It's your log..... Depending on who you read or talk to, different training tools have similar or same names, but different meanings. Also be aware of catch-all terms. Interval and tempo are both like that. There are different types of interval workouts, based on what your training goals are. Tempo can have different meanings to different people. The real key is that you have a personal understanding of what the terms mean to you.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think I've seen that study discussed elsewhere. Something about it doesn't feel right to me. I'm not sure what right now.....
                  I can dig what they [the folks doing the tempo v. interval study] are saying Cool, at least from my own experience. Back when back I did serious speed training, I would do lots of tempo runs early in the year to build strength, but once I started interval training, I would see big improvements in performance in a hurry. (For me, a tempo run is 3~4 miles at 10~20 sec/mile slower than 10k pace, and intervals are (usually) track repetitions ranging from 200m to 1600m at 5k pace or better). I think it's about specificity. With tempo runs, your body gets really used to running at fast but slower than race pace, whereas with intervals, you get used to what it feels like to run at race pace or better. I don't mean to completely bag on tempo runs though. I think they are great early on in the year as you build up to racing season -- they give you the confidence that you can make it through that whole 10k get you used to the idea of sustained speed for long time periods. And let's face it, the track is not for everyone. A lot of people are prone to injury running short fast intervals. And of course tempo runs are great if you're focusing on 15k and higher distances b/c a tempo pace of 10~20sec slower than 10k pace is right around race pace for 15k~1/2 marathon. It depends on the person, but I can say for me that intervals give more more bang for the buck when it comes to racing faster. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Jeff, I agree with a lot of what you said. I think my issue with the study is that it's misleading. From my impression of it, they're not comparing apples to apples. That being said, you're right. Each one of the tools has its place in a good training program. Mostly because each one is training different things (as you've mentioned). As far as one being better than the other...I think that's going to be way to relative to the individual.
                      In the short term you will get more bang for your buck out of intervals at 3K - 5K race pace but the gains are short lived and the bang you get for your buck will depend on how big a base of mileage and tempos you have in the first place. 3-5k pace intervalse are great workouts for peaking for races. However it generally only takes 4-6 workouts to max out the gains you can get, and then you level out and see no progress. Whereas you can continue to build aerobic base and stamina for years with mileage and tempos. So the priorities for racing well at distances over the long term should be: 1. Lots of aerobic mileage (base) year round, Easy to Marathon pace -- 80 to 90% of weekly mileage 2. Tempos and long intervals to build stamina, 10K to 1/2 marathon pace -- 5 to 20% of weekly mileage 3. Intervals to max out aerobic cabacity, 3K to 5K race pace -- 0 to10% of weekly mileage 4. FAST intervals for pure speed and turnover, faster than 3k pace -- 0 to 5% of weekly mileage 1 and 4 should be done year round. 2 and 3 depend on how far out from your goal race you are. All percentages are rough numbers. YMMV.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

In the short term you will get more bang for your buck out of intervals at 3K - 5K race pace but the gains are short lived and the bang you get for your buck will depend on how big a base of mileage and tempos you have in the first place... So the priorities for racing well at distances over the long term should be: 1. Lots of aerobic mileage (base) year round, Easy to Marathon pace -- 80 to 90% of weekly mileage 2. Tempos and long intervals to build stamina, 10K to 1/2 marathon pace -- 5 to 20% of weekly mileage 3. Intervals to max out aerobic capacity, 3K to 5K race pace -- 0 to10% of weekly mileage 4. FAST intervals for pure speed and turnover, faster than 3k pace -- 0 to 5% of weekly mileage 1 and 4 should be done year round. 2 and 3 depend on how far out from your goal race you are. All percentages are rough numbers. YMMV.
                        Excellent points. You can't run hard intervals all year. For me, the tempo run is a staple of the early season buildup, but those give way to intervals as you get in that 4~6 week period before peak racing season. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Koruja

Mississippi, whereas a tempo run is performed at a relatively constant "faster than normal" pace, sandwiched between a warm up and cool down period, interval training is done for much shorter distances. Here is my understanding, such as it is...
                          Hammerbeck, This was the clearest explanation I have ever read to describe temp vs. interval (the whole post rather, not just this quote). I was beginning to wonder if I will ever understand it. Thanks!
                            Tempo = 10-20 sec/mile slower than 10k pace if running by pace. If running by heart rate, determine Lactate Theshold by warming up 10 min. Then, run for 30 min at the pace you would race a one hour race. Ten minutes into the 30 minute test, take a split with your HR monitor. At 30 min, take the next split. Your average HR over the period from 10 to 30 minutes is your Lactate Threshold (LT) heart rate. Tempo runs done by heart rate should be at 90%-100% of LT heart rate. Ex: You do the warm up, run 10 min, hit the split on your watch and continue running to 30 min and hit the split again. Your HR monitor shows that your HR averaged 159 for the first 10 minutes. Forget that number. Your HR averages 167 between minutes 10 and 30. That's your LT. 90% of 167 is 150, thus, you'd do your TEMPO runs between HR 150 and HR 167. A hard tempo would be run with your HR near the upper limit, but not above it. An easy tempo would be run near the lower end of the zone, but not below it.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

darrincoe

I've just made a decision to do more long distance running, as I come from a fighting background and all my training is in "burst energy", that is sprints and sled drags and stuff. I find interval training very much enjoyable as compared to tempo training. If you follow some of the literature from weight training, they would suggest you can do all of your run training in each workout if you stack them correctly. start with intervals as these take the most effort and strength, then take a brief rest, leave the track and hit the road to do a tempo run. after your tempo take another brief rest and run an easy pace to garner mileage. Thus you stack your workout from most difficult to least. This is how you stack a fight workout: weights, cardio, then aerobic. anyway, I'm truly a neophite and just tossing in a few cents. Darrin Coe