First race this weekend... any advice? (Read 816 times)

Racing for the first time this weekend, and I was wondering if there is anything that I should know, expect, anticipate? The forums have been great to read about others' race experiences, but is there anything that you look back on when remembering your first race and think; "I really wish someone would've told me that"?
    - Tony

I recommend reading this article: Race Etiquette for Runners Good luck. What's the distance on your race? Any goals?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks for the link! A lot of the info that I am looking for. I am running the 10k Fifth Third River Bank Run in Grand Rapids, MI, and just want to enjoy the experience and finish, but finishing in under an hour would be nice too! Big grin
        - Tony
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Make sure to get to the race early enough, especially if you have to pick up your bib and shirt. If you park a little ways from the start, you have to get the shirt back to the car or figure out a place to stash it. It also helps me a lot to warm up for about a mile, 30 minutes before the race begins. Oh, I wish I had known they would be taking my photo close to the finish line. I would have tried to look less dorky. Start out slower than you think you should. The excitement really makes me take off like a jack rabbit, and sometimes I pay for it. Good luck, and have a blast! I've done 13 races since my first one last April. They are addicting, even though I'm slow!
          rockintrax

Good luck - have lots of fun! Oh - take a picture and remember to save your bib number (if you want it - I know lots of runners that keep their first ones as sort of good luck charms - and then I know other runners who are really obsessive and have every single bib number from every race in a box).
            Steph
              I have run in a few races, but it has been 4+ yrs and 20 lbs ago...but the one thing I love to do is to start out near the back (I like to actually be in the very back). It's a psycological thing for me...I am way competetive and if I see follks taking off I want to try and join to get in the first half...but if I just start in the back...very few people pass me and I pass tons of folks. It helps me alot, not to try and pace myself with people who run faster than me but to start in the back...set my pace...and I pass who I pass and just enjoy the run.
              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
                Get to the port o potty early !!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

- Anya

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Have a great run! It's my first race this weekend as well, so no gems of advice here. Chris

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

JakeKnight wrote a very useful and very funny list of dos and donts for a first race a long time ago, but I can't find it. Anybody know the one I'm talking about and can provide a link? MTA: I found it!

sean

Make sure to get to the race early enough, especially if you have to pick up your bib and shirt...
                      Very very important. If you have the bib and shirt the night before, take the time to attach the bib then. It's an art in finding the right place on your shirt for the bib. Too high and it gets in the way. Too low, and it makes your legs look short and stubby. It is of ultimate importance that the bib is more or less centred on your body as well both to appease the OCD's (such as myself), as well as the finishing photographs. You don't want to look at your finishing photograph later and say, "Darn... I wished I had a straight bib on my shirt." The bib needs to be strategically placed in a way that balances functionality and style. Wink

Go ho or go home

Don't drink too much the night before. Seriously. Smile
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Don't drink too much the night before. Seriously. Smile
                          As in, "drinking water" or "drinking alcohol"? (I'm asking seriously!)
                          JakeKnight

As in, "drinking water" or "drinking alcohol"? (I'm asking seriously!)
                            Personally I follow the Third JK Rule of Beer Formula, which essentially states that the number of beers permitted the night before a race is inversely proportional to the length of the race (in miles) and directly proportional to the number of hours until race time, with X never < 1. x = # of beers permitted the night before a race. y = length of race z= hours until race begins hours and beers are always rounded up; miles are always rounded down. x is always equal to or greater than 1. for example, if its 5:00 p.m. and you're running a 10-k at 8 the next morning: y = 6 (6.2 rounded down) z = 11 the specific formula is as follows: x = z/y + (10% * z) + 1 thus in our hypothetical: x = 11/6 + (10% * 11) + 1 x = (1.833 + 1.1) + 1 x = 2.933 + 1 = 3.933 so if you begin at dinner time the night before a 10-k, you may have 4 beers. on the other hand, if you're in the hotel bar at midnight before a 7:00 a.m. marathon: x = 7/26 + (10% * 7) + 1 x = 0.269 + 0.7 + 1 = 0.969 + 1 = 2 beers maximum when rounded up ------------------------------------ you're welcome. there is also a formula for post-race beers, but its really complicated, uses imaginary numbers, and the answer is always the same. 1.="" x="#" of="" beers="" permitted="" the="" night="" before="" a="" race.="" y="length" of="" race="" z="hours" until="" race="" begins="" hours="" and="" beers="" are="" always="" rounded="" up;="" miles="" are="" always="" rounded="" down.="" x="" is="" always="" equal="" to="" or="" greater="" than="" 1.="" for="" example,="" if="" its="" 5:00="" p.m.="" and="" you're="" running="" a="" 10-k="" at="" 8="" the="" next="" morning:="" y="6" (6.2="" rounded="" down)="" z="11" the="" specific="" formula="" is="" as="" follows:="" x="Z/Y" +="" (10%="" *="" z)="" +="" 1="" thus="" in="" our="" hypothetical:="" x="11/6" +="" (10%="" *="" 11)="" +="" 1="" x="(1.833" +="" 1.1)="" +="" 1="" x="2.933" +="" 1="3.933" so="" if="" you="" begin="" at="" dinner="" time="" the="" night="" before="" a="" 10-k,="" you="" may="" have="" 4="" beers.="" on="" the="" other="" hand,="" if="" you're="" in="" the="" hotel="" bar="" at="" midnight="" before="" a="" 7:00="" a.m.="" marathon:="" x="7/26" +="" (10%="" *="" 7)="" +="" 1="" x="0.269" +="" 0.7="" +="" 1="0.969" +="" 1="2" beers="" maximum="" when="" rounded="" up="" ------------------------------------="" you're="" welcome.="" there="" is="" also="" a="" formula="" for="" post-race="" beers,="" but="" its="" really="" complicated,="" uses="" imaginary="" numbers,="" and="" the="" answer="" is="" always="" the="" same.=""></ 1. x = # of beers permitted the night before a race. y = length of race z= hours until race begins hours and beers are always rounded up; miles are always rounded down. x is always equal to or greater than 1. for example, if its 5:00 p.m. and you're running a 10-k at 8 the next morning: y = 6 (6.2 rounded down) z = 11 the specific formula is as follows: x = z/y + (10% * z) + 1 thus in our hypothetical: x = 11/6 + (10% * 11) + 1 x = (1.833 + 1.1) + 1 x = 2.933 + 1 = 3.933 so if you begin at dinner time the night before a 10-k, you may have 4 beers. on the other hand, if you're in the hotel bar at midnight before a 7:00 a.m. marathon: x = 7/26 + (10% * 7) + 1 x = 0.269 + 0.7 + 1 = 0.969 + 1 = 2 beers maximum when rounded up ------------------------------------ you're welcome. there is also a formula for post-race beers, but its really complicated, uses imaginary numbers, and the answer is always the same. >

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the detailed explanation, JK! Are you sure you're not an engineer?? Those formulae are very sexy!
                              JakeKnight

Those formulae are very accurate and extensively researched!
                                Fixed it for you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------