All time favorite albums (Read 1057 times)

xor

Which happened to be my favorite album when I was like 11.
    11 was my favorite Smithereens album.

Morphine - Cure for Pain The Dismemberment Plan - Change Radiohead - OK Computer (ok, almost any of theirs, really...) Mouse on Mars - Iaora Tahiti The Crystal Method - Vegas
      Brandon
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I can barely believe I remembered that someone on RA posted a love letter to Mad Man Across the Water (14 years ago!).  And Tangerine, no idea if you're still ever active on the site.  But I thought you'd like to know there's a 4LP 50th Anniversary edition of Madman out now.

I have an old pressing of Madman.  I think it's in pretty decent shape; I'll have to check.

What's your all-time favorite album? Or at least the top 5 or so. I know it's so hard to pick just one. How 'bout the album you have played more than any other... that you've had to buy extra copies of because you practically ruined the first one from playing it so much. Or the album you grew up listening to... or the first album you remember hearing. For me... Elton John's Madman Across the Water is all of those things and more. Madman is one of the first things I ever remember listening to (along with Chopin that my mom played). I loved the song, I loved the album. By the time I was in THIRD grade, I had all of Elton's albums of the 1970-1975 era, up to Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. (I was even Elton for halloween). Even at age 9, I felt a huge difference in his music after Captain Fantastic and I've never liked it to this day. But man, that 1970-1975 era... the glory days for Elton and Bernie... spoke to me before any other music ever did. He was depressed, he was shy, he was coked up, he was boozed up, and man he could write a melody and sing it. When I started playing piano, it was because of him. If I could make a career out of playing piano and writing songs like that, man I would. I could never be at the level he ever was. And I definitely couldn't sing like that. But if I could revive that kind of rock and roll today, that would be my true life calling as a musician. (Not this silly orchestra thing I'm doing now... Wink)... Also up there, in the all time favorites cloud, is more Elton... Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John, and Tumbleweed Connection. But I also love love love love... Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. Phish's album Rift. Tom Petty's first album, and Led Zeppelin's first album are great too. at one point loved Oasis' What's the Story: Morning Glory So anyway... My all time favorite album is Madman Across the Water by Elton John. "Tiny Dancer" – 6:17 "Levon" – 5:22 "Razor Face" – 4:44 "Madman Across the Water" – 5:57 "Indian Sunset" – 6:46 "Holiday Inn" – 4:16 "Rotten Peaches" – 4:58 "All the Nasties" – 5:09 "Goodbye" – 1:48 ...What's your's?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

A fun topic! If I limit myself to just five selections these are the ones that come to mind:

My most played album: Sgt. Pepper's- The Beatles

Jazz album I could listen to over and over: Love Supreme - John Coltrane

Favorite Classical: Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" - Teodor Currentzis

Favorite live jam band: Live Dead - The Grateful Dead

Favorite space rock: Ummagumma - Pink Floyd

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Based on this thread, I gather that women do not record albums.

AMIRITE?

mikeymike

AMIRITE?

You could have contributed your favorite women-recorded albums anytime in the last FOURTEEN YEARS, TONS.

The first couple pages are an RA OG time warp. JK wept.

Runners run

Altair5

Runs in the rain

TanyaS - I have favorite woman musicians too! How about Yoko Ono, Laurie Anderson, Joni Mitchell, Grace Slick, Susan Vega, Patti Smith, Patsy Cline, Alice Coltrane and Billy Holiday!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                Get up, get out, get out of the door!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

AMIRITE?

I will gladly add to my list of favorites (and gladly redact all that Hootie and the Blowshit)

Carole King: Tapestry

Etta James: Tell Mama

Joni Mitchell: Blue

Aretha: I never Loved a Man...

Blondie: Parallel Lines

Aimee Mann: The Forgotten Arm

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The first couple pages are an RA OG time warp. JK Phelps wept.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

TanyaS - I have favorite woman musicians too! How about Yoko Ono, Laurie Anderson, Joni Mitchell, Grace Slick, Susan Vega, Patti Smith, Patsy Cline, Alice Coltrane and Billy Holiday!

Don't forget Stevie Nicks!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

You could have contributed your favorite women-recorded albums anytime in the last FOURTEEN YEARS, TONS.

**SIGH!!!**

mikeymike

Rihanna: ANTI

(didn't exist in 2008)

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I suppose somebody better suggest a BEYONCÉ album before the Begency comes and gets us.

rlopez

Yikes, I was called in here by the presence of other me.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

AMIRITE?

I’ll go with Blonder and Blonder by The Muffs.

Saw them live a couple of times but unfortunately the singer Kim Shattuck died in 2019 at only 56yo.

I also really dig Pink as she’s a great songwriter. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)