Very EARLY 5k Training (Read 900 times)

yellowrunning

So I'm taking it very slowly. (Especially since we've had tropical storms and such lately! :rollSmile But I am about 3 months away from the first 5K of the season around here. My question is this...While I am trying to get consistant with 30 minutes of walking/running, at least 3 times a week, is it a good idea about once a week to try and do the distance of a 5-K without any focus on my time to begin with? Is there any benefit or down side to that? I am also doing some cycling to prevent injury but don't like it quite as much as running... Undecided I am highly competetive so the idea of preparing for a race will get me out of the house a lot more often than "getting healthy" or "losing weight."
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The biggest mistake you can make right now is to overtrain. Stick to a tried-and-true program, like the Couch to 5k.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Future running partner.

is it a good idea about once a week to try and do the distance of a 5-K without any focus on my time to begin with? Is there any benefit or down side to that?
        During the week its a good idea to just go for a duration of time. If you are of a competitive nature, going by distance may not be a good idea because the tendency will be to try and run the same distance faster each time out. This may cause you to run too hard and lead to injury. On the other hand for your weekend long run going by distance may be ok. Knowing its your longest run may cause you to take it easy anyway. Also you can use this run to eventually work up to a distance of about 3.5 to 4 miles. If you can do this you will have plenty of confidence going into the race. I see that your current longest is about 1.4. I would start by trying to run 1.5 miles for your long this week. Then each week add a fourth to each long run until you reach about 3.5 to 4 miles before your 5k.
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How much running have you been doing? Ed4 us right; the Couch to 5K program (C25K) is a really good one if you are new to running. We have a group here (see the link in my signature) that is really supportive with runners in all stages of the program. It's nine weeks long with three runs per week, starting with run/walk intervals. It would definitely help you be ready for your race. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I'd say once you get to the point where you're running say, 2.5 miles at a time on your weekly runs, sure, throw in a 5K. It's not that much longer so I doubt you'd injure yourself (unless you ran way faster than you have been). As long as you treat it like you're just getting used to the distance as opposed to trying to get faster every week, I think you'll be fine. I ran my first 5K at the end of August and one of the biggest things that freaked me out before the race was the fact that I hadn't ever run that distance before. I did C25K and I was only up to about 2.5 miles (in 30 minutes...I run kinda slow). I wish I had run the 5K distance before the race to get used to it. That said, as WannaBeFast suggested, increasing to the point where you're running up to 4 miles at a time BEFORE race day would effectively do the same thing.
            2009 Goals:
            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
            Run a 10K
            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
            Complete my first Sprint Tri
              This is an interesting question and it has a lot of answers and/or potential strategies. I didnt use the C25K program, but I have read it and I think it look pretty darn good. Also, there are a LOT of people in RA that have used the program and swear by it.......so you sould really give it a chance or at least take a good look at it and see if its something you want to do......... Big grin Shocked I started in March by running 5 days per week - Tue, Wed, Thur - Sat and Sun (absolutely NO ACTIVITY on REST DAYS - MON and FRI).....1 mile per day, and then after a few weeks, I started adding mileage to 'some' of my runs .....eventually I had it up to Tue 1, Wed 1, Thru 2 -- Sat 2 and Sun 3 (After a few months)......at which time I considered myself prepared to run a 5K race....... At first, I could NOT run one mile so I would run what I could and then finish by walking what ever I couldn't run....And ALWAYS VERY SLOWLY.......without ever a thought of time or minutes per mile. This system worked for me.......so I offer it up only as an alternitive way of looking at beginning training.. Blush I am now up to about 22 + MPW and am still using this system and slowly adding mileage and normally taking my two rest days. The reason I did it like this is that I wanted to run (or work out) more then 3 days per week (lots of programs have you only runing 3 times per week) and I dont really like to cross train...I hate the bike, swimming and eliptical......so with this strategy, I got to work out every day...... Ed4's advice is right on - that new runners try to train to fast, hard and on and on and often get hurt.....so be careful and don't try to do too much to quickly... Take off your watch....cause you dont want to start competing with yourself...you want to run slow and get in the distance......so forget about time when running.... Big grin Keep us posted on how you decide to go about it .... Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching

A Saucy Wench

I did it a little differently than C25K - just for another point of view/option. On my "long run" day (sunday) I would cover the full distance, but I would walk all of it to start. Not run one bleeping step. ( I was walk/running the other days of the week) Then the next time I would run 1 minute every half mile (walk the 1/2 mile, run a minute). Then the next time I would run 2 minutes every half mile . Then to maybe a walk 3 min run 2 plan and build from there. I was not really that structured though. I didnt have a garmin or even a watch then. I just went out on my 3.5 mile loop (yep a little LONGER than a 5K) and picked landmarks and each time ran a little farther i.e. start at blue house, run to grey house. Next time start at blue house run to fire hydrant. For me covering the distance - time on feet helped a lot especially since from what I have seen of the C25K program if you arent running 10 mm you may never get to that distance in training. But still conservative and cautious.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

As a new runner, you don't have a clue about how much you can or should be running. If you try to wing it on your own you'll likely end up doing too much too soon, a common downfall of new runners. For this reason, you should follow an established program such as the C25K. It's a 9 week program designed to take a new runner from zero to 5K safely and effectively. Since your 5K is 12 weeks out, I would suggest starting the C25K now and simply repeat every other week to stretch it out to 12 weeks. By the time your 5K rolls around you'll be more than ready to run it. From that point on you can continue to build mileage and maybe tackle the 12 week beginners program next time around. Tom
                  yellowrunning

Thanks so much guys. I've tried the couch to 5K and have a hard time with the structure of it. One of the reasons that I run is that my life is SO busy and scheduled and structured, I like just getting out there and doing my own thing. Does anyone else ever feel this way? I love the idea of leaving the watch at home (because yes I will start competing with myself! Blush) I am being really good about WALKING even though it's not as fun for me but either is training too much too fast! I really like the idea of doing the one mile with a little extra every other day. WITHOUT the watch! Big grin Then on my long day walk with very little running about 3 miles. Nothing fancy or pushing or anything. Just going. I'll let you know how it goes!