Training to break my 10k PB. (Read 637 times)

I have been concentrating on training for the half marathon recently but plan to set a new PB for the 10k in early May next year. This will be on the same fast, downhill course that I ran this past May for my current best time. Obviously I will start by building up my mileage again, (I have been taking a break) and try to keep running 4 times per week about 30 miles per week or so through the bad weather, then increase this in March. I will run some 5k-8k tempo runs or progression runs, then finally perhaps 800m intervals in April. My main doubt is what distance my long run should be? I have done several 15 mile, a few of 17-18 miles and one 20 mile run in preparing for my half marathon; I would assume there is not much point in running beyond 20k to train for a fast 10k? Any other suggestions or comments? (I would have asked this in the 10k forum, but it is inactive now.) Thanks, Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JimR

I have been concentrating on training for the half marathon recently but plan to set a new PB for the 10k in early May next year. This will be on the same fast, downhill course that I ran this past May for my current best time. Obviously I will start by building up my mileage again, (I have been taking a break) and try to keep running 4 times per week about 30 miles per week or so through the bad weather, then increase this in March. I will run some 5k-8k tempo runs or progression runs, then finally perhaps 800m intervals in April. My main doubt is what distance my long run should be? I have done several 15 mile, a few of 17-18 miles and one 20 mile run in preparing for my half marathon; I would assume there is not much point in running beyond 20k to train for a fast 10k? Any other suggestions or comments? (I would have asked this in the 10k forum, but it is inactive now.) Thanks, Simon.
      There's a long way between here and the SL10k, run as much as you can over the winter. For doing well at something like a 10k, I'd want to make sure I can put in a solid 90 minute run on a regular basis. You can ceiling your long runs to 2 hours for endurance, but keep it about once every 3 weeks maybe? Then come March start thinking shorter and faster for the longs.
        No, there's not much point in running beyond 20k. Running 15k on a regular basis will help a lot, especially if you do some long tempos of around 8-10k. Mileage and speed endurance are the key to a good 10k. I would begin intervals around February.
        Scout7

I'd worry less about the long run, and more about weekly volume.
          obsessor

I would disagree (slightly) with some. In one sense, "running is running." and a long run will help you whether you are running a marathon, or 800m. How long, exactly? You need not take it over 2 hours, but you might occasionally venture beyond that. Depends on your recovery. I don't think 20 miles is totally out of the question. It depends a bit on your goals. If you really want to take it to the max, I firmly believe you will have to put in all those same long runs. That's what the fastest runners do. That's even what some local "really good" runners here do for 1500m and 5000m training. Do you need to? Clearly, no. Perhaps 12 miles is enough to get you there. And overall volume and consistency is more important than any one run.
              I would disagree (slightly) with some. In one sense, "running is running." and a long run will help you whether you are running a marathon, or 800m. How long, exactly? You need not take it over 2 hours, but you might occasionally venture beyond that. Depends on your recovery. I don't think 20 miles is totally out of the question. It depends a bit on your goals. If you really want to take it to the max, I firmly believe you will have to put in all those same long runs. That's what the fastest runners do. That's even what some local "really good" runners here do for 1500m and 5000m training. Do you need to? Clearly, no. Perhaps 12 miles is enough to get you there. And overall volume and consistency is more important than any one run.
              I absolutely agree. Even when the 800-1500m was what I was concentrating on, I kept my long run at 20-25km. And I notice the difference in my middle distance speed when I don't keep my long run up. Of course, Scout makes a good point, in that you definitely shouldn't sacrifice weekly volume for the long run, but I'd say that applies to all distances.