How bizzare! (Read 1014 times)

So now I have something new to add to odd things found on a run. After my run today at the Academy, I was going back to my car and I found a parakeet (at least that's what I think it is)! Of all things! So I stuck my finger out to it and it climbed on. I didn't know what to do with it. Obviously it belongs to someone, or at least it did because it was very comfortable having me hold it. There was a Petco in the parking lot so Jane and I walked over there to see if they could take the bird. They said that they could not. They don't take birds from the outside. What was really neat is that as we were walking over there, the bird was closing its eyes. Almost like it felt safe as I was holding it. The only viable option was for me to take the bird home. I couldn't let it stay out there and die. It is absolutely not an option. So I got a box to put the bird in and bought some food for it. Right now the bird is in the biggest cat carrier I have. It has food and water. The cats LOVE it if you know what I mean. I just don't know what to do with it. Maybe we'll keep it, maybe not. I really have no idea right now. I've never in my life had a bird so this is a whole new experience for me. It's almost like God put that bird there. Maybe I'm supposed to learn something here. Who knows. It's going to be interesting. That's for sure. I think it's a young female. At least that's what I was able to come up with from reading on the internet.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Baby bean!

That's so cool!!! Do you go on Craigslist? Sometimes people post if they've lost or found a pet. Otherwise, congrats on your new pet!

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How cool! I've never had a bird, but have always thought a small parakeet would make a neat pet. They are fairly intelligent, too. Looks like this one was no exception. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

if it is that tame. someone will be missing that bird. I would put up signs. I have two parakeets and they do not just climb on your finger. Someone spent a lot of time with that bird. Really cool story.
          redleaf

I've never heard of someone finding a bird. That is pretty cool. I'd post some signs though - no different than when the stray cat showed up on our doorstep a few years back.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

JimR

We had a parakeet for several years that I found in our front yard. They'll escape through open doors and windows in the summertime, pretty common actually. They can be really hard to identify to an owner. If it has any distinguishing marks or patterns, you can put up signs and have the callers tell you what those marks are (cuz they might call just to get a free pet, ya know). If it's your generic plain green or blue parakeet, it might not have anything identifiable. It's also hard to tell how far that bird travelled, it could be miles. If you have cats, think very carefully about whether or not you can keep it.
              Go Daddy

Nice story of the day award! I am sure that whoever may be missing that bird would be happy to know that someone is taking the time to keep the bird safe. Mysterious ways...Maybe it isn't you that is supposed to learn something. Maybe by sharing your cool story, the rest of us are learning something.
                milkbaby

That has to be one of the coolest things to find on a run! Birds are pretty cool pets -- I've had a cockatiel and one of my best friends had a parrot, and they are extremely cool, though it is true that cats really dig birds... Smile Hope you can find the owner, or if not, find a new owner (even if that is you)!
                  "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                    I would be devastated if one of our birds escaped. You might see if there are any bird rescue organizations in your area -- sometimes they have lost/found message boards. And they might be able to take the bird if you decide not to keep it. Sadly, most humane societies aren't able to care for birds and will euthanize them unless a bird rescue group intervenes.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Another Passion

HOLY HITCHCOCK, BATMAN! That's a pretty cool story. If you choose not to keep it, like someone suggested, try craigslist or even post on here, or other sites, and see if someone is interested in taking it to take good care of it. Have you incurred any recent flooding in NM? Oh wait, you said it is a parakeet, not a raven. Big grin

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The flooding is down south of Albuquerque in a town that sits between two mountains with a river running in the middle of it. I wish we got some of that rain though!
                        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

My running partner!

Wow - That's amazing. I have a very tame parakeet that I would miss dearly if he ever got away! I hope that you are able to find his owner
                          Kat

Feeling the growl again

I actually saw a parakeet on a run in Michigan once, although it was not about to let me get anywhere close to it. Maybe it had been loose longer....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

That's awesome! I would post signs around the area, and if I didn't hear anything I would keep it. It sounds like a sweet little bird. I do agree with the pp who said someone who spent that much time taming the bird will most likely be missing it.
                              Katie H

Chicago winter running

Also, you might want to put a post on Craigslist pets section or lost& found w/ his picture in case he flew a ways and the owner won't see signs in the neighborhood. But if you can't find the owner, I hope you have fun with your new pet! I had 2 parakeets when I was younger and they were absolutely wonderful pets. I would even read to one b/c she would jump onto the pages and peck at the pictures- cracked me up. They are really sweet. Glad you rescued it- good job!!!
                                We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.