"Please Welcome the Next President of the United States Paul Ryan" --Mitt Romney (Read 1401 times)

Looks like Romney is throwing in the towel already.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

Looks like Romney is throwing in the towel already.

I guess Sarah Palin wasn't available.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So does technology(*) mean that people get crucified for any mistake? Or does it mean we get inured to stupidity?

* I mean, of course, our internet/twitter/crowd-sourced reporting & sharing of events and reactions, in very fast reaction times.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

So does technology(*) mean that people get crucified for any mistake? Or does it mean we get inured to stupidity?

* I mean, of course, our internet/twitter/crowd-sourced reporting & sharing of events and reactions, in very fast reaction times.

No but you have to admit it's somewhat amusing. The VP pick is a very calculated event in a presidential campaign. Everything is scrutinized from the timing of the announcement, the clothing of the candidates, and the speeches. So when the Presidential candidate goofs up the carefully scripted introduction it is noteworthy. Plus I don't see how pointing out a minor gaffe qualifies as a crucifixion.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

xor

There is a difference between "pointing out a minor gaffe" and stating something about that side throwing in the towel.  I'm gonna say that if you think that just blew up the election, then you 'crucified', even as an overdramatic ha ha jokey joke.

(I am neither participating in a political discussion nor stating my political preferences. )

Edit: ok, I will say one and only one thing.  I had never seen Paul Ryan speak publicly before this morning.  Is he always, uh, like that?  He has room for improvement.

Ok bye. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, to me the mistake shouldn't be a big deal, and Ryan came on and kidded about Romney being the next VP. What I found really weird was when NPR news played it a few minutes later, it was fixed, Romney saying, "...the next VICE president of the United States". Should the media be fixing errors that way?

My political affiliation is RWD:  Rarely Worth Discussing.  Everyone is convinced they are right and no one is going to change their mind.  And while civil discussion is possible, it all too often becomes nasty.  Even me saying this is likely to spark debate on whose fault it is that the dialogue is nasty.  I usually choose to not engage in the conversation despite strong personal convictions toward one side.  I just hope that people vote with their own convictions, not those that someone tells them they should have.  

When suckered into political conversations, I like to end them with "If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong." Big grin

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My hope is that this thread won't get political.  My previous post would still apply if the error came from the other party.

Obama actually did the same thing when he introduced Biden as "the next President of the United States.." But he corrected himself immediately. And everyone knew that Biden was never going to run for President in the next cycle anyway. Ryan had to correct Romney. But Ryan is the Golden Boy of the right and is presumed to be a candidate in 2016. And it's pretty widely assumed that Romney has little chance of beating Obama (see: 2004 and the power of incumbency). So his minor gaffe just gets more attention. 

And it's pretty widely assumed that Romney has little chance of beating Obama

?

Widely assumed by who?

I imagine you could place a wager on it in England and get something like 3:2 for Obama and 3:1 for Romney.  That's hardly the same thing as "little chance". 

I bet my fiance $100 that Romney would pick him.

Wahoo! 

That is the ONLY thing I can say about this.  

- Anya

You'll ruin your knees!

I bet my fiance $100 that Romney would pick him.

Wahoo! 

That is the ONLY thing I can say about this.  

Your fiance is Paul Ryan?  Cool!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

As Borat says, "verynice!"

+2.4 for Ravenclaw

Your fiance is Paul Ryan?  Cool!

Egads!  no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess we will need to get used to his widows peak.  Oh, and his six pack abs.

Barf.

- Anya

And it's pretty widely assumed that Romney has little chance of beating Obama

Maybe widely assumed in some social circles. 

I really like McSpartan's quote: "If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong." 

I'm going to have to remember that.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life