Is swimming good for running? (Read 4483 times)

The question is "compared to what?". Compared with going for a run... not really - but then you can only run so much in the week. Compared to doing nothing probably a bit.

It's pretty much like all forms of cross-training. Mostly they're better for your running than doing nothing, but not as good as running. But if you run too much you'll end up over-trained, under-recovered and/or injured...

Define "too much running".

1 mile more than you should?  Other than that, I have no idea what that means. 

Although, my mother in law always tell me I run too much, but when I ask her what number wouldn't be too much, she doesn't know how to respond. I think for her the answer would be 0. 

1 mile more than you should?  Other than that, I have no idea what that means. 

Although, my mother in law always tell me I run too much, but when I ask her what number wouldn't be too much, she doesn't know how to respond. I think for her the answer would be 0. 

Very good answer, Tom.  I just wanted to know what people who seem to have already concluded that they'd need to "cross train" because they might "run too much" and hurt themselves think of "too much" running.  I'll bet it's closer to 20 than 120.

That amount that leaves you injured or not improving any more. You have to find it for yourself... and it'll change through time for each person.

That amount that leaves you injured or not improving any more. You have to find it for yourself... and it'll change through time for each person.

I am inclined to believe that once someone has been running consistently for a while say a couple of years, then the volume is not likely lead to injury, but maybe running fast, or running too high a percentage of that too fast might.  That faster running tolerance is probably different for each person, and we might have to find that out the hard way, but more often than not,  volume is not likely to be the culprit.  My running slows down when I run more than I am capable for my current fitness and I think that is a self regulating mechanism.  

I guess what I am trying to say is by doing some auxiliary strength and flexibility exercises and/or some drills one can avoid getting injured.

That's a good one too though that really doesn't explain anything.  I'd say most people never find out "that amount that leaves you injured and not improving any more" mileage simply because they are too busy putsing around with other things like swimming. 

You don't get injured because you run a lot; you get injured because you weren't smart enough.  In most cases, people have the answer why they got injured; they just don't see it or never implimented what they've learnt from previous injuries.

That's a good one too though that really doesn't explain anything.  I'd say most people never find out "that amount that leaves you injured and not improving any more" mileage simply because they are too busy putsing around with other things like swimming. 

You don't get injured because you run a lot; you get injured because you weren't smart enough.  In most cases, people have the answer why they got injured; they just don't see it or never implimented what they've learnt from previous injuries.

Most club runners, and a lot of people hereabouts get injured from time to time. As do many elite runners. Saying that we're injuring ourselves because we're not "smart enough" is of course sort of true. If we knew in advance that we were going to end up injured we'd do something else instead. 

The best thing, I think, is to really take note when you start to feel aches and pains. Often times when people end up out of action for a time there are warning signs that they should have backed off a bit, but we can all get into a bit of self-delusion from time to time. Over time you start to gain a bit of experience about what kind of thing is transitory and what isn't.

There are certainly times when it's probably wise not to run more. Of course you can just rest, but on those occasions it can sometimes be refreshing to cycle or swim or whatever, and is probably better for your running than doing nothing (although maybe not much).

uncontrollable

Every sport has it's unique benefits.  Cardio in general - whatever the form - is good for your cardio baseline to some extent.  Strength training - improves that dept.  Overall - is X activity good for Y activity ... all depends on who you are, what your baseline is, and what your goals are.  If you only run 2 or 3 times a week, low mileage, will swimming the other days improve your cardio...possibly.  However, if you've run for 10 years, 50mpw, and already lift weights - will the swim really "improve" your running ... probably not.

I swim to relax my body, use my muscles a little differently, and allow myself to notice how all the different parts of my body are feeling.  I personally use it less for "fitness" improvement so to speak and more for a soothing but moving break from my land activities!  I swim slow and leisurely.  If I pushed - it would be a very different workout.

I think swimming is wonderful - I think it is a nice complement to any sport/activity - I don't think it could hurt unless you are super aggressive and over do it and do not listen to how your body is feeling!

For me - it helps my running by allowing my body to move and heal in a very soothing manner.

peace

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Its good for your running only in the sense that you're getting an impact free workout instead of what you put your body through on a run.

However, regardless to pool time, the sport in no way will improve your running skill.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

However, regardless to pool time, the sport in no way will improve your running skill.

dude, swimming llamas...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

dude, swimming llamas...

The one on the left looks to be overstriding.

And holding its head and shoulders too far forward.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I relied on pool running when I had a stress fracture. I was amazed how much running fitness I kept from it. It doesn't really engage the calf muscles, but you can really get the quads working hard in a certain way. If you are injured or want some additional low impact run-specific exercise I would definitely pool run instead of swim. It can definitely get boring though.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

sport jester

Biomimeticist

My pool exercises are based on moving against an opposite direction current, not running in place with a floatation belt. Our community pool has a very cool walking course with hydrojets moving the water in a very quick current. Most people float with it for fun, but they have rehabilitation sessions whereas you can walk against it.

Its a great workout not only in building strength, but balance skills as well. I would highly recommend them for training if you have access to one.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Running Chick

everything has a season.  i love swimming, but up here in new england, our 'swimming season' is contained in a 3 week window Sad  i guess i could go to a Y.....  my thought is that it is hard to run every day.  if you can alternate, and do some swimming too, and it doesn't interfere with running,  then go for it!  especially if you find it enjoyable.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

In defense of swimming, it was basically my only crosstraining option during a recent stress fracture (along with lifting weights with my upper body and core and, later, some machines for legs).  Not only did I not gain ANY injury weight, I actually maintained my running fitness pretty well.  I returned to runnig after nearly 3 months off, to find my easy pace was exactly the same.  Mind you, when I swim I go hard and do fast repeats with little rest.  It FEELS as hard as running and works my lungs and heart in the same way.  So if my aerobic fitness is developing, how is that not a good thing?  It's better than pool running, IMHO, which is quite awkward physically and doesn't allow me to output quite as much effort.

And to an earlier poster, there is no need to be rude about injury.  It's not always the result of stupidity.  Our bodies can be fragile in surprising ways, and the best laid plans of mice and men aft gang agley.

But I am very very surprised that people don't think the aerobic fitness laid down by swimming wouldn't affect running.  How could it not??  Obviously you can't JUST swim and NEVER run and expect optimal results in running--rule of specificity--but that doesn't mean it has no effect.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb