The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Alton Brown has been praising the Beefeater on his youtube shows.  Although I think he ran out and is using the emergency Bombay.

My favorite Rye is out of Purcellville, VA (yes, that Purcellville) called Catoctin Creek.  They make it in house so it's not from the place in Indiana that supplies most of the fancy places.   Semi wide distribution.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

rlopez

Best gin for my money is "Boodles".  Punches way above its price-point.  Good for both gin-tonics and martinis.

Boodles is a good seller. We sell the 750 for like 23 bucks.

I just yesterday started carrying the... wait... strawberry rhubarb version. And yes it is pink. I don't think I'd like it much, but the secret ingredient in Hendrick's Mid-Summer Solstice is rhubarb and I like that one a lot.

rlopez

Speaking of cheap booze that is much better than the price, Very Old Barton is bottom shelf cheap bourbon, but if you find it, it is way way way better than the price (which should be right around 11 bucks for the 750)

Rainier, Heidelberg, Olympia or Hamms?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

pepperjack

pie man

From an informal forest survey here it's Olys, Burgermeister, then Hamm's.  That's historical though.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Whoa. I continue to be astonished by the in-depth awesomeness of this thread. Thanks!

BTW, here's a fun fact courtesy of cinnamon girl's link:

"The Last Word is a gin-based prohibition-era cocktail originally developed at the Detroit Athletic Club."

I'd actually join an AC if they were like that any more.

Movies: like Dave PNW (thanks, Dave!), I've seen Jojo Rabbit and Parasite. More suggestions?

Also, been wondering: what vegetarian food pairs well with a dry gin martini? Veg pate on crackers? [This is not urgent.]

--Christine

>(cinnamon girl) Green Chartreuse is for The Last Word

>(Dave PNW) If you haven’t seen them, either Jojo Rabbit or Parasite. The best movies of the last year, hands down (in that order).

Movies: like Dave PNW (thanks, Dave!), I've seen Jojo Rabbit and Parasite. More suggestions?

In keeping with the theme of last year’s Oscar nominees: 1917 or Ford vs. Ferrari. The four named so far were head & shoulders above all the others.

Dave

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Doh! I *almost* typed in that I'd already seen those (and then didn't). I now know for sure that specificity is good in this thread.

Okay, for Dave PNW only (everybody else carry on thinking): what movies have you not seen? What movies should I avoid at all costs?

:-D Christine

rlopez

Rainier, Heidelberg, Olympia or Hamms?

None. BTW, most of those brands only kind of sort of exist now.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"The Last Word is a gin-based prohibition-era cocktail originally developed at the Detroit Athletic Club."

I'd actually join an AC if they were like that any more.

Can confirm.  Excellent cocktail.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Doh! I *almost* typed in that I'd already seen those (and then didn't). I now know for sure that specificity is good in this thread.

Okay, for Dave PNW only (everybody else carry on thinking): what movies have you not seen? What movies should I avoid at all costs?

:-D Christine

Specificity is good on this topic because there are thousands of movies you can see, and so many really good ones. I’m not sure how telling you movies I have NOT seen helps you determine what movies to avoid. Or maybe these are separate questions. You should really be telling US what movies you have not seen, or what you are considering, because otherwise we can go on and on recommending movies you have already seen. 

Anyway, I will tell you three recent movies off the top of my head that were highly acclaimed but I hated:

1. Roma

2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

3. The Irishman

The common thread in each case seemed to be that the director was making a movie purely for himself, and not really caring whether an audience would enjoy it. And he could get it made because he was already super famous. The Irishman I suppose was not awful, just dragged on for 3.5 hours which was completely unnecessary. If you want to watch a Scorcese gangster movie, just watch Goodfellas. Even if you have already seen it 20 times. The other two on that list I found virtually unwatchable.

Dave

Yooper3.1

Cool.  We had our wedding reception at the DAC, but I didn't know that.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

In keeping with the theme of last year’s Oscar nominees: 1917 or Ford vs. Ferrari. The four named so far were head & shoulders above all the others.

I'm a lurker on this thread but have been enjoying it...

Movies: I second the 1917 vote and, while I haven't seen it, family members loved Ford vs Ferrari. 

Beer: anyone remember "Oly balls?" They were plastic Olympia "kegs" you could buy at a time when there were no other such things, at least that I knew of. I'm not sure how much beer they held but likely a couple gallons. Drove onto the grounds of the Warren Tank Plant near Detroit with a friend who worked there, with an Oly Ball in the back of my Chevy Chevette. I'm pretty sure we had already been drinking but they let us right in. Got to watch tanks being tested on treadmill-like devices. We would probably get arrested today trying to do the same...

DAC: great club

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I haven't seen the others, but I really enjoyed this film.  I agree, though, that it was a director doing his thing, not really there for the audience.  However, one piece of reflection might change your mind: much of the film is a parallel western.  The really fantastic aspect of this is when Brad Pitt goes to see his ailing friend in the cult-house.  The layers on this are delicious: the setting is an old Hollywood set used as a old-western town.  But it's being lived in by modern people.  Except all the beats of what happens, and many of the shots, can be found in old western films -- most glaringly the summoning of the male protector, to race back on horse back (because he's giving ye-old-Western tours), for the potential mano-a-mano.

I think this film is a "film geeks'" film.  If that's not you, then all it really offers is a duel with Bruce Lee and Brad Pitt shirtless on a roof-top.  And my what a scene.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

pepperjack

pie man

That part has a lot of reality, the Manson family did live out the real Spahn ranch formerly used for shooting movies.  The tension during that whole scene is off the charts.