The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

rlopez

Wow... that is some GOOD stuff!!!!!

I like them all but I especially like the one with your dad at the Cowboys game. Man, there is Fortune smiling on you right there.

Also - what presidents did you meet? (And what kind of work were you doing at that time?)

I met OG Bush at my graduation from speshul skoool in 1991.

I met Clinton after I did a job, he just kind of "worked the room" and I happened to be there. 1995 or early 1996.

I met W because I was on a team that presented to him. 2004, and this was no bullshit painful.

I never met Obama, which bums me out but thems the breaks.

I was keeping you safe.

robin from maine

So, what are some of the coolest phenomena you've seen/places you've visited/events of which you've been a part?

E.g., 2017 total solar eclipse, seeing a WR on the track, Berlin...

Seeing JFK in an open car in a motorcade (not in Dallas)

Seeing Andres Segovia in concert.

Seeing Lee Fowler run down the hall to tell us that Russ Hulse had found a binary pulsar and that he was going to win a Nobel Prize (which he did, with his advisor, Joe Taylor)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I met OG Bush at my graduation from speshul skoool in 1991.

I met Clinton after I did a job, he just kind of "worked the room" and I happened to be there. 1995 or early 1996.

I met W because I was on a team that presented to him. 2004, and this was no bullshit painful.

I never met Obama, which bums me out but thems the breaks.

I was keeping you safe.

Got it. Thank you for answering the question. (Oh, and BTW: just finished "Road to Perdition." It was great!)

@robin from maine: are you an astronomer/astrophysicist?

--Christine

robin from maine

@robin from maine: are you an astronomer/astrophysicist?

--Christine

Only as far as grad school.

Seattle prattle

Seeing JFK in an open car in a motorcade (not in Dallas)

Seeing Andres Segovia in concert.

Seeing Lee Fowler run down the hall to tell us that Russ Hulse had found a binary pulsar and that he was going to win a Nobel Prize (which he did, with his advisor, Joe Taylor)

Pretty neat.

I've gotten lucky to run into a few rock and rollers from the grunge scene, now deceased, and even got to hear one playing some killer licks as he was checking out used guitars at a nearby music store. Funny, but all of them made an impression on me.

rlopez

I sat next to a semi-drunk Vince Neil at the Admiral's Club in Denver once. Only exchanged greetings, but THEN I sat there and listened to him talk on his phone about some parties and events he had just done. His name dropping was fun, but he called everyone only by their last or first name. So, for example. "Tommy", I just assumed who that was.

I also rode an elevator with Lyle Lovett once at Texas A&M. I talked to him a little.

Seattle prattle

I sat behind Kurt Cobain and Courtney in a movie theater watching Fearless, a movie about dieing, on it's Seattle premier. He was very uncomfortable by the end of the movie in a not so subtle way. I saw Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) playing in a used musical instrument store and i knew immediately that i was watching a rock star, and my suspicion was confirmed later when i saw a picture of him in a mag. I also sat next to Mick Fleetwood in a very cool restaurant in Netarts, OR., and he was unusually animated, which is what caught my attention in the first place.

Kurt's death bothered me a lot just because he was so freakin' talented. But when Chris Cornell died, it made me think what a weight it must be to be on the top of your game for so long, and to see it slip away. I mean, the guy i saw playing riffs in that music store that day, that was a guy with gifts the likes of which few of us will ever know, and maybe its better that few of us will ever know what it means to descend off such a lofty precipice,

RIP to you both, Kurt and Chris.

Yooper3.1

So, what are some of the coolest phenomena you've seen/places you've visited/events of which you've been a part?

E.g., 2017 total solar eclipse, seeing a WR on the track, Berlin...

I talked with the Secret Service agent who drove President Reagan's limo to the hospital after he was shot (at a girls' soccer game where his granddaughter and my daughter were on the same team).

I shook hands with President Vaclav Havel at a bar in Prague.

And I was in the swath of totality for the 2017 solar eclipse.

rlopez

Since Seattle has come up, it is fun to point out that many local ultrarunners have had the pleasant surprise of sharing a few miles with Ben Gibbard (aka "Death Cab for Cutie guy", which is what we all called him at first) at some point. Super nice guy.

I also ran a few miles of the White River 50 with the guy who draws/writes The Oatmeal.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I also ran a few miles of the White River 50 with the guy who draws/writes The Oatmeal.

The Oatmeal is *awesome*, esp The Bobcats. Didn't know that guy was a runner.

@robin_from_maine: so, then where did your career path take you post-astronomy?

The Oatmeal is *awesome*, esp The Bobcats. Didn't know that guy was a runner.

He (Matthew Inman) is somewhat famously a runner. He has written comics about it, and holds “Beat the Blerch” marathons (now virtual of course). These have featured cake and couches along the course, as well as people wearing Blerch costumes chasing you.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

He (Matthew Inman) is somewhat famously a runner. He has written comics about it, and holds “Beat the Blerch” marathons (now virtual of course). These have featured cake and couches along the course, as well as people wearing Blerch costumes chasing you.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a20791729/an-interview-with-the-oatmeal/

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

"Deer-tackling is the new 5k." (Well, it was in 2013.)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I had the privilege of meeting Leonard Cohen backstage in 1993 when he played at the Royal Albert Hall in London (my wife worked for Sony music at the time)  I’ll have to admit that I didn’t know anything about him beforehand....but WOW, he was a gentleman and spoke to everyone with respect and the gig was absolutely amazing!  I went to see him again I think in 2009 when he played an outdoor gig in the UK....and I was more than happy to pay full price for the ticket. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I shook hands with President Vaclav Havel at a bar in Prague.

And I was in the swath of totality for the 2017 solar eclipse.

So, Yooper, where did you watch the eclipse? My high-school BFF and I went to see it in Columbia MO. That was one of the funnest vacations of my life and also my first totality viewing. 2024; it's on!