The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

Yooper3.1

So, Yooper, where did you watch the eclipse? My high-school BFF and I went to see it in Columbia MO. That was one of the funnest vacations of my life and also my first totality viewing. 2024; it's on!

In the woods of North Carolina, near a tiny town called Robbinsville.  It was a perfect viewing-- there wasn't a cloud in the sky that day.  We're looking forward to the next one, too.

John Wood

So, I need to give a shout out and thank you to rlopez for the Casa Dragones recommendation. I usually go for the reposado or anejo. This was my first blanco and I enjoyed it.  The only difficulty was getting a bottle as here in NC you can’t get spirits legally delivered and as my wife is high risk that is all we do. Anyone else have a similar issue? For me, Caskers and Flaviar seem to be able to skirt the delivery prohibition, but there must be a less expensive way.

As an aside, I have also done Dr Trent’s little race 3 times in a row, if you count 2017, 2018, 2019. Kudos for doing that all in a day.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

cinnamon girl

Another thank you to rlopez.  I went on a recent road-trip to Boise and was not expecting a Tequila bar. I had to check it out and I very much enjoyed the Casa Dragones! Thanks!

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I went on a recent road-trip to Boise and was not expecting a Tequila bar.

@cg: how was Boise? (General atmosphere, the running.) It's a place I've contemplated visiting/moving at times. --Thanks, Christine

Running Problem

Problem Child

@cg: how was Boise? (General atmosphere, the running.) It's a place I've contemplated visiting/moving at times. --Thanks, Christine

Other than the recent "defund the police" gatherings it's nice. 2,500 ft elevation, running path along the river that goes for MILES, and a nice trail network in the northern part of town. Cool small places to eat downtown, state run liquor stores (weird for me and I grew up with them) and the college is nearby and worth checking out.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks, RP! I'll have to take a trip out there sometime to check it out. (Takes some doing: no direct flights from DC.) --Christine

cinnamon girl

I'm glad I went and got it out of my system. I had romanticized it a wee bit much I must say. I have no need to return to Boise. The most fun was had on the way to and from 

I ran the river trail which was fine nothing spectacular, kayaked the river, went to the Tequila bar. Food and culture scene didn't do much for me. The restaurants I saw were weird Americana food with huge ass portions. Maybe I didn't hit the right spots but there was a 2 block section downtown for the restaurants and bars. 2 blocks. Some good coffee though. I was only there 30 hours so what do I know. My thoughts were I would do Missoula or Bozeman before Boise. It's not that pretty as far as nature either, compared to what I'm used to.

rlopez

Boise is alright. "City of Trees". It is pretty. The running scene there is ok and the folks are nice. Boise, as is the way with cities, is a bit more liberal/open-minded than the non-city parts of Idaho. Some of which is racist AF. In general, Idaho DOES have some really pretty parts. 

I was attached, briefly, to Mountain Home AFB in the mid-2000s. Weird base. Right outside Boise.

dhuffman63

Trails

Amazon is building a huge warehouse in Nampa, ID and my daughter is moving there in Sept for a job in HR.  I've been looking for accounts of what Boise is like.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Well. A good spectrum of views!

Unrelatedly:

You're going to the sports stadium to watch a game and you get to pick one drink and one food. What are they?

rlopez

Well. A good spectrum of views!

Unrelatedly:

You're going to the sports stadium to watch a game and you get to pick one drink and one food. What are they?

The cheapest beer and some form of french fry. I am a vegetarian, so the meat options are right out... I just cross my fingers that the fries did not involve animal fat for frying. 

Fun story... about 10 years ago, the Seahawk Stadium (I think it was the Clink at the time, but might have still been Qwest Field) got busted because... whups... despite the different dimensions, the large beer cup held as much as the small. WHUPS

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

>the large beer cup held as much as the small. WHUPS

Looks like somebody knew how to leverage surface-to-volume ratio.

If I may ask, why are you a vegetarian? I was one once but fell off the wagon. Plus other stuff.

rlopez

>the large beer cup held as much as the small. WHUPS

Looks like somebody knew how to leverage surface-to-volume ratio.

If I may ask, why are you a vegetarian? I was one once but fell off the wagon. Plus other stuff.

Complicated, goes back to my former profession, just not ok with killing living creatures these days.

That said... that's just my view and I've never tried to push it onto others nor do I judge others for what they eat. And I have eaten some decidedly not-vegetarian stuff in my life. The list contains some weird stuff in foreign countries and during SERE training. Also grew up in a Texas family full of hunters and fisherpeople.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Very cool. I had a similar motivation and public CONOPs. Thanks for sharing.

As for me: beer + ballpark nachos (with the processed cheeze sauce, YES!)

Everybody else?

Last night @ Nats Park (DC) for the baseball opener they piped in crowd noise and had an organ playing. I should check in on what they're doing at Great American Ballpark (Cincinnati Reds). I grew up with the Big Red Machine at Riverfront Stadium.