The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

an amazing likeness

I personally dislike them, but they are hitting it out of the park now...

yep

and...2/3rd of the way to hat trick.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rlopez

IPA mania has already been destroyed by lactose.

Only for the intolerant.

not a pale ale or IPA but my go to low ABV beer choice is Guinness.

Guinness has this reputation of being heavy, but I think it goes down so smooth & easy. I’ve always thought if I were ever to do a beer mile, that would be my choice.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Had an awful Irish car bomb experience in college and still can't even smell Guinness to this day.

Hard seltzer definitely here to stay. I will say almost all the non white claw I've tried are horrific (like "this tastes like cleaning fluid" horrific) except for High Noon. Those were tasty.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

A couple years ago I took a year off alcohol in solidarity with a friend who was in a pact with his wife -- where this was his end.  Drinking seltzer all the time got pretty boring.  Seltzer isn't tasty, but less  boring than water.  I'm not a soda fan, so I was put out for something adult to drink.  (for whatever reason ordering a glass of milk at a fancy restaurant is uncouth).

So, I started throwing a couple dashes of bitters into the seltzer.  Now I've a cabinet of 8 or so flavors to choose from.  Black Walnut seems to be a favorite.

"Hard Seltzer" just seems like the wrong direction to take things.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

rlopez

Fun fact - High Noon is a little different from most of the rest because it starts out as vodka. White Claw, Truly, etc etc etc start out as "malt beverage", which is kind of goofy... easy way to look at it is that High Noon starts with a distilled spirit, whereas the malt beverage stuff is fermented (usually from sugar cane) and brewed like beer.

Double fun fact - a lot of folks still seem to think that vodka is made from potatoes. You can make it from potatoes, and a few are made this way, but most are made from grain or grass. Tito's is gluten free because they use corn. Fancy ciroc is made from fruit.

Really really cheap ass vodka is basically neutral grain alcohol (aka, everclear) that is watered down to the correct proof.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Isn't hard seltzer just the second coming of Zima?

(note: I have not tried hard seltzer, so cannot speak with direct knowledge.  I might have had some Zima back in the era of fishnets and flannel)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

(note: I have not tried hard seltzer, so cannot speak with direct knowledge.  I might have had some Zima back in the era of fishnets and flannel)

From what I remember, Zima tasted way better than the seltzers I've tried. It's also possible that when Zima was a thing, I was drunk when drinking it, so didn't really care.

rlopez

Zima was (actually still is) a malted beverage, but with a lot more sweet in it and no seltzer. It's more like smirnoff ice. Well, the original one. Turns out smirnoff has gotten into the seltzer game too. The shit is confusing. But, basically, no seltzer in zima. (weird thing people never knew - zima was/is made by coors). Zima died in the US in the mid-aughts... but stayed a thing in Japan.

The seltzer is a major presence in these things and a turn off to me, but folks like it. The flavors in white claw, kind of like la croix, are somewhat subtle behind the overpowering taste of seltzer. They aren't all like that. Corona's seltzer is on the sweeter end, as is Mighty Swell... which I stopped selling last year because it didn't sell well, but I brought it back this year.

From what I remember, Zima tasted way better than the seltzers I've tried. It's also possible that when Zima was a thing, I was drunk when drinking it, so didn't really care.

This is the only acceptable explanation for thinking Zima tastes anything but awful. I only had one, BITD, and to me it was a cross between light beer and Diet 7-Up. I’ve never tried a hard seltzer. That Mike’s Hard Lemonade stuff wasn’t bad though.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

DH picked up about every color option of Hard Ice adult freeze pops last time he went to the liquor store. They are pretty tasty, but pack a pretty good punch to me (rarely drink, so cheap date).

did a double take at the store a few months back:

PBR Hard Coffee

surprisingly tasty and almost guilt free when day drinking (well it was almost noon)

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

>PBR Hard Coffee

So: which one won? The alcohol or the caffeine?

did a double take at the store a few months back:

PBR Hard Coffee

surprisingly tasty and almost guilt free when day drinking (well it was almost noon)

pepperjack

pie man

My brother invented a drink called the Ty-D-Bol, where you'd drink a little out of the Zima, add in Blue Curacao and it looked like you were drinking toilet cleaner.  I think I only ever had one.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

My brother invented a drink called the Ty-D-Bol, where you'd drink a little out of the Zima, add in Blue Curacao and it looked like you were drinking toilet cleaner.  I think I only ever had one.

I think I might pick the toilet cleaner.

Dave