The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

The Stout I discovered this winter was "Expedition Stout" from Bell's.  Russian Imperial (10.5%).  Wish it wasn't seasonal, but maybe that's for the best.  Still cannot wait for the cold weather to return, and with it this beer.

That one is excellent, it was one of my regulars when I lived in MI, but haven’t seen it out here.

Dave

Prince of Fatness

That one is excellent, it was one of my regulars when I lived in MI, but haven’t seen it out here.

It’s a good one for sure. We get Bells here but that one is hit or miss. Gotta be in the right store at the right time.

Not at it at all. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It’s a good one for sure. We get Bells here but that one is hit or miss. Gotta be in the right store at the right time.

I may have personally been the cause of your inability to find it.  It was top of my list of quarantine hoard items.  The toilet paper lasted longer, though.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

The Stout I discovered this winter was "Expedition Stout" from Bell's.  Russian Imperial (10.5%).  Wish it wasn't seasonal, but maybe that's for the best.  Still cannot wait for the cold weather to return, and with it this beer.

if you see it - pretty rare and just seems to drop at stores unannounced - BA Expedition Stout is amazing!

rlopez

if you see it - pretty rare and just seems to drop at stores unannounced - BA Expedition Stout is amazing!

Yes, I will only get a couple cases of expedition in the winter. Bell's regular stout is Kalamazoo, which we do not carry. They also have (or at least, had, last winter) a cherry stout, which was a dud. And good ol arabicadabra, which is their renamed coffee stout... thatI bought too much of, but it finaaaalllly sold.

That name, arabicadabra, is a fun wordplay but practically nobody coming through my store is able to say it. Everyone simply calls it "abracadabra" and does not even realize it has coffee in it. Because they don't process 'arabica' in the name.

Prince of Fatness

Let’s not forget about Black Note Stout. Mmmmmm.

Not at it at all. 

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Let’s not forget about Black Note Stout. Mmmmmm.

YES!

I love Expedition Stout but have never liked the K'zoo stout. As I recall, too much black licorice taste for me. Agree on the cherry stout (taste at least - you may have just meant sales) although the BA version of it was ok.  Arabicadabra is good and worth trying if you see it.

Probably too MI-centric but...if you like big, complex BA stouts, Quad Barrel Hipster Brunch Stout from Oddsides Ales (Grand Haven, MI) is amazing. Had it for the first time last weekend (growler fill at local store) and will be buying more this weekend.

From website: Imperial stout brewed with maple syrup then aged in bourbon whiskey, rye whiskey, maple wood and double oak barrels with coffee and bacon added. 10.25% ABV

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/51257/

Wife was given one of these from her boss, who had 2. It's still in the fridge. I think it's a 2017 or a 2018.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/51257/

Wife was given one of these from her boss, who had 2. It's still in the fridge. I think it's a 2017 or a 2018.

A great beer. I've had it once or twice. The Bruery does some interesting sounding stuff although I've only tried a few.

Maybe we need to just start a booze thread...

rlopez

This became a booze-specific thread about 15 pages ago!

We carry Bruery off and on. Their Helles has been one of my more favorite beers this summer, way better than Old Nation's.

Running Problem

Problem Child

A great beer. I've had it once or twice. The Bruery does some interesting sounding stuff although I've only tried a few.

Maybe we need to just start a booze thread...

Based on today's title it's the booze thread.

Hottenroth. Favorite beer they make. Turned me on to sours.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Prince of Fatness

We carry Bruery off and on. Their Helles has been one of my more favorite beers this summer, way better than Old Nation's.

I have a friend in the Hoarder’s Club. The Bruery opened a tasting room in DC a few years back and this guy drives down there once every few months to pick up his beer from the club. 6 hours round trip. I like their beer but not that much. 

Not at it at all. 

Julia1971

It's a wild, wild, west thread so I'm going to plug a non-alcoholic beer.  I just did "Dry July" and really liked the Athletic Brewing Company and Hairless Dog Company's IPAs.  I hope one or both of them can make in-roads at grocery stores and restaurants so I don't have to always order them by mail.

rlopez

It's a wild, wild, west thread so I'm going to plug a non-alcoholic beer.  I just did "Dry July" and really liked the Athletic Brewing Company and Hairless Dog Company's IPAs.  I hope one or both of them can make in-roads at grocery stores and restaurants so I don't have to always order them by mail.

I carry 12 NA beers... sometimes I can get athletic brewing stuff, but not regularly. For it to appear in stores, they have to make enough and have a strong distribution set up. Many smaller breweries have a hard time with that. Restaurants and bars, at least local-to-them are easier when it comes to kegged stuff. I dunno whether they keg. 

I do not know Hairless Dog, but I hope they work chihuahua into their beer names.

Fun fact about NA beers is that some still have a small amount of alcohol in them. Depending on why a person is seeking the NA stuff, this either doesn't matter or it matters A LOT, and it always freaks people out when I bring it up.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

good point! and I like the re-title!