The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

I like playing "guess the hops" with beer snobs. The snobs usually get it wrong and get way ultra complex with what they think is going on inside and list a bunch of obscure hops blah blah. Again, this is different from a home brewer wanting to talk beer. It is usually easy to tell the difference.

I won a "sommelier contest" at our neighbor's housewarming party a few years ago, and it really pissed off at least one wine snob.

There were 5 red wines with hidden labels, numbered 1-5, and we had a card with 5 questions, such as "most to least expensive" "country of origin" "varietal" etc. Dude had been boasting about wines in a loud voice the whole night and was LIVID when it was announced I won that contest, and demanded to see the entry cards. I heard him shout "he only got 3 of the varietals correct!". Yeah, but I pegged pretty much everything else. And the best part: I didn't know much, but I made very good educated guesses. I went up to him later and said as much and told him he deserved the trophy, and handed him the giant plastic novelty wine glass that said "wine o'clock" on it. I hope he has it displayed on his mantle.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Wisdom 1, Knowledge 0

I won a "sommelier contest" at our neighbor's housewarming party a few years ago, and it really pissed off at least one wine snob.

There were 5 red wines with hidden labels, numbered 1-5, and we had a card with 5 questions, such as "most to least expensive" "country of origin" "varietal" etc. Dude had been boasting about wines in a loud voice the whole night and was LIVID when it was announced I won that contest, and demanded to see the entry cards. I heard him shout "he only got 3 of the varietals correct!". Yeah, but I pegged pretty much everything else. And the best part: I didn't know much, but I made very good educated guesses. I went up to him later and said as much and told him he deserved the trophy, and handed him the giant plastic novelty wine glass that said "wine o'clock" on it. I hope he has it displayed on his mantle.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A beer snob would know what is distributed where, and would not mess with a rank and file beer store employee.

For the record, rlopez is not rank and file anything.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Correct.

A beer snob would feel otherwise.

For the record, rlopez is not rank and file anything.

rlopez

When I was a little ESL kid, I thought the term was "rankin file" because my pediatrician was named Dr Rankin.

I hope is wasn't Dr Rankin in Eugene, he was my Dad's doctor and was a real eccentric and notorious town kook. I've got a lot of Dr Rankin stories!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

rlopez

I hope is wasn't Dr Rankin in Eugene, he was my Dad's doctor and was a real eccentric and notorious town kook. I've got a lot of Dr Rankin stories!

No, this was in Lubbock, Texas.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Does that make you a Rankinphile?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

When I was a little kid, I thought the Star-Spangled Banner mentioned "donserly" light, which I imagined to be some unknown particular kind of light that probably looked really cool.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

rlopez

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America

and to the republic for Richard Stands

One nation, under God, invisible

With liberty and justice, frog

rlopez

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

(this is a pop culture reference. I am not literally advocating violence.)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

When I was a little kid . . .

It took me well into college to figure out what fah-SHE-sus means.  Try looking that up in the dictionary.  The context was always the same:  some school teacher would say, "Oh, I'll do that in my copious free time." . . . "I'm begin fah-SHE-sus."

Now, from my blue-collar kid perspective, I was under the distinct impression from my parents that school teachers had oodles of free time . . . I mean, 3 months vacation in the summer?  I knew what "copious" meant.  But I was always confused by the tone of the delivery, implying they didn't actually have free time.

Not until college did I connect that fah-SHE-sus is spelled "facetious".

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Joann Y

As a kid, I thought "fish sticks" were "fish dicks". I wasn't really thinking very hard about it I guess.

rlopez

My older half sister (who did not start out ESL) kept talking about pepper alleys at school. Whut.

I would later learn she had attended pep rallies.

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

( I am not literally advocating violence.)

maybe we should

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn