The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It wasn't until college that I learned the phrase wasn't "for all intensive purposes," because that's how my mom worded it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

It wasn't until 11 Aug 2020 that I learned it. 

It wasn't until college that I learned the phrase wasn't "for all intensive purposes," because that's how my mom worded it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It wasn't until 11 Aug 2020 that I learned it. 

Oh no, bwahahahaha!! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Same exact reason: that's how my mom pronounced it! You didn't happen to grow up in the Tri-State (KY-OH-IND) area, did you?

rlopez

As this is my wild wild west thread, let me just say as a POC that today is the first truly happy day I've had in quite some time. Kamala.

Hot damn.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For a moment I thought you were stoked about the BCS variants announcement.

As this is my wild wild west thread, let me just say as a POC that today is the first truly happy day I've had in quite some time. Kamala.

Hot damn.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Same exact reason: that's how my mom pronounced it! You didn't happen to grow up in the Tri-State (KY-OH-IND) area, did you?

WI...I wonder if it's a Midwest oddity. I've seen it typed on regional message boards, too.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hot damn.

As a woman I feel this and I'm counting down the days until her first debate with Pence. Also...Maya F'ing Rudolph!!!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, my brother just shared this on FB!!

• An Oxford comma walks into a bar, where it spends the evening watching the television, getting drunk, and smoking cigars.
                    • A dangling participle walks into a bar. Enjoying a cocktail and chatting with the bartender, the evening passes pleasantly.
                    • A bar was walked into by the passive voice.
                    • An oxymoron walked into a bar, and the silence was deafening.
                    • Two quotation marks walk into a “bar.”
                    • A malapropism walks into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.
                    • Hyperbole totally rips into this insane bar and absolutely destroys everything.
                    • A question mark walks into a bar?
                    • A non sequitur walks into a bar. In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly.
                    • Papyrus and Comic Sans walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out -- we don't serve your type."
                    • A mixed metaphor walks into a bar, seeing the handwriting on the wall but hoping to nip it in the bud.
                    • A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.
                    • Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.
                    • A synonym strolls into a tavern.
                    • At the end of the day, a cliché walks into a bar -- fresh as a daisy, cute as a button, and sharp as a tack.
                    • A run-on sentence walks into a bar it starts flirting. With a cute little sentence fragment.
                    • Falling slowly, softly falling, the chiasmus collapses to the bar floor.
                    • A figure of speech literally walks into a bar and ends up getting figuratively hammered.
                    • An allusion walks into a bar, despite the fact that alcohol is its Achilles heel.
                    • The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.
                    • A misplaced modifier walks into a bar owned by a man with a glass eye named Ralph.
                    • The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
                    • A dyslexic walks into a bra.
                    • A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.
                    • A simile walks into a bar, as parched as a desert.
                    • A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.
                    • A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony

- Jill Thomas Doyle

~ Sarah Kay

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Niiiiice. Interesting thing (okay, to me) about the comma splice: I never used those, thinking the semi-colon was more correct, but I'm learning Chinese and comma splices are how you do it in that language. So now they're creeping into my English, too.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love those, zoom-zoom!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Yes!  Although the tea variant sounds a little weird but who knows and I'll still buy and try!

Prince of Fatness

Anything worth while?  Not that I plan on waiting in any lines for it but I’m curious.

Not at it at all. 

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Hot damn.

in the history of US elections, she's got to be the VP candidate who's most likely to become President. Not a bad gig!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Anything worth while?  Not that I plan on waiting in any lines for it but I’m curious.

I live in Michigan but have spent the last couple Thanksgivings in the Sarasota area. It has been easy to pick-up all the variants there. The first year I arrived at the store (Total Wine) 30 minutes before opening and waited in line. The next year I showed up 30 minutes after they opened and still got everything (although they only had a few of the variants left). In the Detroit area, it's almost impossible to get everything no matter what you do.

Bourbon County Brand Stout
                                The original, aged for a year in a mix of barrels from distilleries that include Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, and Wild Turkey.

Bourbon County Kentucky Fog Stout
                                This is Goose Island's first "tea-inspired variant." It's a take on London Fog using Earl Grey and Black Tea from Kilogram Tea, as well as clover honey.

Bourbon County Special #4 Stout
                                This variant is an oatmeal stout aged in bourbon barrels. The beer gets a hit of Intelligentsia Coffee after the aging has completed, as well as some bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup.

Bourbon County Caramella Ale
                                Caramella Ale is a wheatwine aged in Larceny Wheated Bourbon barrels with apple, cinnamon, and caramel flavor. Caramella is Italian for candy, and the name seems appropriate since there's a serious caramel apple vibe to the recipe. "The aroma leans heavily into sweet caramel and cinnamon spice, while the taste comes in to show off the bourbon-soaked Larceny casks and red apple notes, reminiscent of a bold apple brandy," says Goose Island Lab Tech Joey Tidei, who developed Caramella Ale.

Proprietor's Bourbon County Stout
                                Goose Island says this year's Proprietor's Stout was "inspired by third-generation Italian American brewer Emily Kosmal's love of spumoni." The beer is blended with pistachios, cacao nibs, vanilla flavors, and candied Amarena cherries. This release gives Kosmal a unique distinction as the first Goose Island brewer to have two Proprietor's recipes selected for release.

Birthday Bourbon County Stout
                                They're calling this a "truly unique variation," though it has little to do with cake if you're reading too deep into the "Birthday" part of the title. This stout is the result of a partnership with Old Forester. It was aged in Old Forester Birthday Bourbon barrels, mixing with the sought-after bourbon. Old Forester's tasting notes on the bourbon: "Rich oak spice and black currant coupled with light maple, caramel cake, and white floral notes."

Anniversary Bourbon County Stout
                                This last variant was aged two years in Weller 12-Year barrels as a celebration of Goose Island's "10-year tradition of releasing Bourbon County Stout on Black Friday." Expect this one to have strong barrel flavors between the 12-year Weller and sitting for an extra year before bottling.