The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Whoa, cannot believe I missed the Kaesekrainer's existence for all these years! Next time I get over there it's on the list. Also glad a border war was avoided, though I suppose the Italians could have stepped in to keep the peace.

About a block from that place is a pub called "Centimeter".  You order pizza type things by the Centimeter.  They also have a meter long beer to order in a funny glass.  The food is very good -- not sure about the beer.

Though for my money, I'll eat Käsekrainer all day long (and often did).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

About a block from that place is a pub called "Centimeter".  You order pizza type things by the Centimeter.  They also have a meter long beer to order in a funny glass.  The food is very good -- not sure about the beer.

Though for my money, I'll eat Käsekrainer all day long (and often did).

Our local meat market sells a variety of cheese-filled brats.  They're tasty and gooey.  Not the same as Käsekrainer?

Pretty much totally unrelated, do you remember the "Vienna Sausages" in cans?  Gross little things.  I loved them when I was a kid.

rlopez

I remember vienna sausages. We were poor and one of our staple meals with rice with chopped up vienna sausages.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Ate a lot of baloney on rye with mustard at my grandparents' house. Mmmm. Also a fair amount of braunschweiger, which we referred to as "chicken liver," though there's no chicken whatsoever in the Northern KY/Cincinnati version.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Unrelatedly:

HOLY CRAP, THERE'S NOW AN AMC THEATRE OPEN IN MY AREA!!!!!!!!!

Could not be more excited (can you tell?). I'm so there!!

--Christine

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Our local meat market sells a variety of cheese-filled brats.  They're tasty and gooey.  Not the same as Käsekrainer?

In spirit it's the same thing.  But the experience is much like getting chopped beef on a roll and comparing it to a Philly Cheesesteak from Philly.

Also, the delivery vehicle is funny to americans: it's basically a hotdog.  But they hollow out a baguette type bread and warm it from the center.  They slide the wurst in along with ketchup and mustered.  Anyway, fantastic.

Short note: I lived there for a year.  My German is crap. When you go to a kiosk they ask "senf oder [shalft]".  I didn't know the second word (still don't), so I'd reply "beide, bitte" (both, please).  This worked for about 9months until my kiosk guy was sick one day.  I walked out of town looking for another good one.  This time when I said "both", I got harangued in Germanic style to the general point of: "YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH.  YOU MUST DECIDE!"  I looked it up later.  Apparently the decision is between spicy and sweet mustards.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

>This time when I said "both", I got harangued in Germanic style to the general point of: "YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH.  YOU MUST DECIDE!"

LMAO: so true!!

In spirit it's the same thing.  But the experience is much like getting chopped beef on a roll and comparing it to a Philly Cheesesteak from Philly.

Also, the delivery vehicle is funny to americans: it's basically a hotdog.  But they hollow out a baguette type bread and warm it from the center.  They slide the wurst in along with ketchup and mustered.  Anyway, fantastic.

Short note: I lived there for a year.  My German is crap. When you go to a kiosk they ask "senf oder [shalft]".  I didn't know the second word (still don't), so I'd reply "beide, bitte" (both, please).  This worked for about 9months until my kiosk guy was sick one day.  I walked out of town looking for another good one.  This time when I said "both", I got harangued in Germanic style to the general point of: "YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH.  YOU MUST DECIDE!"  I looked it up later.  Apparently the decision is between spicy and sweet mustards.

Our local meat market sells a variety of cheese-filled brats. 

My local butcher has a few of these as well, all good.

They even developed a Beast Mode brat named after Marshawn Lynch, and yes filled with skittles.

Never tried.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This came over the imgur recently: https://imgur.com/gallery/PcjK991   It's a short video of the interaction between waitstaff at a bar, almost certainly in the Netherlands.

This was my exactly experience in almost every drinking establishment.  You'd get a tilted head from across the room, asking if you'd like another round; you'd nod back.  Two minutes later fresh suds arrived.  The interesting thing to me is that the waitstaff operated on a different principle, than in the USA.  You don't get dedicated servers.  Instead, all servers for a certain area (let's say "patio") are continually surveying all patrons for low drinks.  If they spot one, they come over.  There are no tips in NL, so nobody's grubbing with a fake smile.  When you get your drink it's with an honest, "Enjoy, brother" smile, or a neutral, "Busy," on the face.

One night at the Het Refter the place was slammed.  We were sitting upstairs, but the beer I wanted was on the downstairs tap.  The waiter explained the problem.  I asked, "what's our table number, I'll just go and fetch it myself."  So, that's what I did all night.   Great folks -- just honest.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Kalsarikännit

But both are light years better than bourbon snobs. OMG. The stereotype of this guy (and it's always a guy who is awful in this respect)... when it unfolds in full glory, that guy hurts my brain.

If I may throw my two cents in as a bartender of MANY years, there are people that get really excited about trying a new (to us) or rare bourbon.  And we get excited to talk about it with each other, compare notes and whatnot.  BUT two things really differentiate the fan from the douche: Having a cheap-assed brand  that is a glorious bang for the buck that is always on hand at home (I live on Old Overholt, every bartender had Rittenhouse before they doubled their prices, and the non-rye people will have a handle of Evan Williams laying around), and the other thing that KILLS bartenders is that there is sipping liquor and mixing liquor.  The douches act like a snob when they are mixing a spirit with some total crap.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

rlopez

Well hello there.

Kalsarikännit

Well hello there.

Hi!  While you are here in my very low to mid-range bar may I make you a margarita with neon fecking yellow antifreeze sour mix that is nothing but high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, and food coloring mixed with the most expensive top shelf tequila we carry?

Hi!  While you are here in my very low to mid-range bar may I make you a margarita with neon fecking yellow antifreeze sour mix that is nothing but high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, and food coloring mixed with the most expensive top shelf tequila we carry?

Frozen, right?

rlopez

Use the top shelf anejo please. And a splash of grand marnier.

I also get the opposite in my store... the person who comes in to buy cointreau and grand marnier, but then being low on funds, pairs it with cuervo. Gold, of course because gold is better. I try to get them to spend 5 more bucks for the Altos, but no no, can't do that.

(for those who don't know... aside from cuervo being a 'mixto', which means that it isn't 100% agave, it is 51% agave and 49% neutral grain spirit - aka, watered down everclear.. cuervo gold is not fancy. It is cuervo and food coloring.)

Kalsarikännit

Frozen, right?

“DO YOU SEE A FUCKING BLENDER BACK HERE?”