The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

to quote Luke Bryan:

One margarita, two margarita, three margarita, shot

There are only 3 margarita's I've ever enjoyed.  One is made in Cville, at Continental Divide.  One is made by my Best-man[sic], Heather.  And one I made by complete accident with some recipe that was foisted upon me, though I didn't have the ingredients.  What exactly is the equivalent of fresh jalapenos to dried?  I don't know either, better throw more in.   Wow, that tonic had some heat.  Just kept getting better every glass.

Anyway, I don't have that stuff on me right now.  So far, neat is okay.  But a hi-ball is rather nice.  Going to save the rest for when I have lime in the house.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I love how you sic'd the gender pronoun but not the actual grammatical error.

There are only 3 margarita's I've ever enjoyed.  One is made in Cville, at Continental Divide.  One is made by my Best-man[sic], Heather. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I love how you sic'd the gender pronoun but not the actual grammatical error. 

Maybe those hi-balls were stronger than I thought.

Kalsarikännit

I made my own falernum for the first time and just broke it out in a Corn and Oil.  It actually worked out great (and a friend who is also a bartender really liked it).  Did I write down the recipe I used since I have the memory of a goldfish?  Nope.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

There are only 3 margarita's I've ever enjoyed. 

Make a great one yourself.  2 oz tequila, 3/4 oz fresh lime juice*, 1/2 oz orange liqueur**, 1/4 oz simple syrup***.  Shake and strain over fresh ice.

*no that shit you buy in a store is not fresh lime juice.  If y’all can run a marathon you can squeeze a fecking lime

**again, Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao FTW

***equal parts sugar and water, heat until dissolved, should take you three mins.  Store the rest in the fridge, make more cocktails later.

Adjust your recipe to taste.  Some limes are sweeter than others, your taste may be different than others.  Just don’t buy sour mix (unless you are making a big batch for low class friends and family).

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Make a great one yourself.  2 oz tequila, 3/4 oz fresh lime juice*, 1/2 oz orange liqueur**, 1/4 oz simple syrup***.  Shake and strain over fresh ice.

Okay, this looks much more labor-reasonable.

Below is the recipe foisted upon me in the 11th hour before a party.  I made a pitcher-full, with lots of dried jalapenos.  As mentioned, it turned out incredible . . .  if you could tolerate the burn.

1 small jalapeno
              1 ½ cup silver tequila
              1 cup Triple Sec
              1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (8 limes)
              ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
              1 TBLS honey
              Pinch kosher salt
              Ice
              Pierce the jalapeno in 8 to 10 places with tip of sharp knife, cut in half lengthwise, leving seeds and ribs. Place pepper in 4 cup liquid measuring cup, pour in tequila, cover with plastic wrap and let sit room temp for 24 hours. Discard jalapeno and pour tequila in pitcher through sieve to remove seeds. Add Triple Sec, lime, lemon, honey, salt then stir. Use right away or cover in fridge for up to 6 hours. When serving, fill 6 margarita glasses with ice and pour over the mix or fill a cocktail shaker with ice and some mix, shake vigorously for 30 seconds, etc etc.

Other than craft-ish beers, I'm still on a Mai Tai wagon. Going through the dozen or two variations that do NOT use pineapple juice or coconut (blasphemy)

Still partial to a double-size version of Trader Vic's Old Way and sipping on it for an hour.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Prince of Fatness

Still partial to a double-size version of Trader Vic's Old Way and sipping on it for an hour.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic’s. 

His hair was perfect.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Other than craft-ish beers, I'm still on a Mai Tai wagon. Going through the dozen or two variations that do NOT use pineapple juice or coconut (blasphemy)

I should do this for myself since any time I have made a mai tai in

my life it has been some bullshit rum runner creation for a customer who just wanted an overly sweet, unbalanced drink full of booze. The real thing would be fun.

If you are interested in another tiki drink (and are not opposed to pineapple in general), a Junglebird is amazing.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic’s. 

His hair was perfect.

I thought the very same thing.

Dave

rmcj001

You're just an excitable boy.

Ray

rlopez

Okay, I picked up the brown one.  How do I drink this thing?

Well, there are two brown ones. If you got the anejo, don't waste it in a margarita. Just drink it straight. If you got the reposado, make margaritas. If you make a margarita with an anejo. it'll be "fine", but anejo tequila has a lot of fun, subtle flavors that will be completely covered over by the sweet and the citrus... plus you spent $5-$10 more for the bottle. I make margaritas with "the clear one" or reposado if I have extra.

As for Wrigley Girl's recipe, yes indeedy, although I use blue agave syrup instead of simple syrup... but that's just me. Simple syrup is easy peasy to make and works well. Margarita recipes with 10 ingredients are.... nope.

rlopez

Mai tais are fun because you can make one a bunch of different ways and it will likely be good.

Just make sure you have orgeat

Kalsarikännit

Mai tais are fun because you can make one a bunch of different ways and it will likely be good.

Just make sure you have orgeat

Just made it.  Sadly I ran out of my overproof Plantation so used Bacardi and Goslings (sad).  I don’t have orgeat so I used my falernum (which was already almond heavy), orange curacao, and demerara.  It was fine, but I knew what it needed, so I bastardized it with some angostura bitters.  Perfect.

MrH

With the state of the world I’ve resorted to hammering a couple of Rusty Nails to the head each evening.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.