The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I finally gave up sushi when I went full vegetarian (I used to eat it 2-3 times a year as a treat). I realized that although I did like some of the fish, it was really all a transport mechanism for wasabi, which is the good shit

Garlic and ginger would be the flavors I'd have a hard time giving up.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I finally gave up sushi when I went full vegetarian (I used to eat it 2-3 times a year as a treat). I realized that although I did like some of the fish, it was really all a transport mechanism for wasabi, which is the good shit

Crab and artichokes transport butter well, but if I wanted a hit of wasabi, I can just grab a dab with my chopstick. I don't do that very often.

Julia1971

Sis, I'm pinkie out when I drink good beer.

However, if it is coors, then I clutch it like a (fill in the party) clutching their pearls over e'ry fake grievance. (or the dude that prompted me to start this damn thread lo those many years ago)

Good point.  I will enjoy tomorrow's dinner with a nice IPA.

So, my pre-COVID going out buddy is a Miller Lite drinker.  I love her dearly but...  I kinda wished she would order it when I was in the bathroom or something so I wouldn't have to be a witness to the crime.

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

Wow my thread is still going.

Sorry if I missed any questions.

I seem to recall you used that avatar picture back on RWOL many years ago.  When did you start using it and why?

ETA:  Ok.  Google told me that was a silly question.  So I will rephrase.  Wouldn't little powdered donuts be just as effective?

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

rlopez

I seem to recall you used that avatar picture back on RWOL many years ago.  When did you start using it and why?

ETA:  Ok.  Google told me that was a silly question.  So I will rephrase.  Wouldn't little powdered donuts be just as effective?

Yes, it was my avatar photo here and RWOL (and also probably kick, but I don't remember) going back to about 2007. As I assume you know from Google, it's a fake commercial from Saturday Night Live. Actually before it was even called that. It was NBC's Saturday Night.

(updated to add: if coolrunning had avatars... and I do not recall... it would have been my photo there going back to 2003ish)

The commercial is a spoof of Bruce Jenner's (sorry, dead name but real point) 1976 Wheaties commercial about how he won the decathlon. In the spoof, the athlete is all hopped up on little donuts and smoking a cig instead of being serious about training and eating Wheaties. That's just funny. The only connection beyond that is when I was in my running prime, my pre-race breakfast was typically pop tarts and my favorite ultrarunning treat was hostess lemon pies. Or sometimes moon pies. Never smoked, though.

Now I'm old. At all of my recent jobs, they've dubbed me "Buddy the elf" because although I don't eat meat, I have an affinity for sugar. Not as much running these days. Although more in the past few weeks than the past two years.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

rlopez - always enjoyed your thoughts on beer and booze.

rlopez

LONG LIVE THE WILD WILD WEST

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Woo-hoo! Excellent timing, 'cause I've got a question:

I gave up drinking alone for Lent. Anybody have any NA spirits, beer or wine they like? I'm a fan of Athletic Brewing Company, but that's all I know.

Julia1971

I gave up drinking alone for Lent. Anybody have any NA spirits, beer or wine they like? I'm a fan of Athletic Brewing Company, but that's all I know.

I have taste-tested several and IMHO Athletic Brewing is the only product that is remotely satisfying.  Hairless Dog isn't bad either.  Full disclosure: I'm an IPA drinker, so there are probably some that are fine for people who like lighter-bodied beers.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

JT to the rescue again. Thanks! I, too, dig IPAs. Hadn't heard of Hairless Dog.

Meanwhile, I bought a 12-pack of Budweiser Zero because (a) it was there and (b) it was on sale for $10.99, the cost of a single ABC six pack. Don't judge me. (Besides, I have Plans B and C for undrinkable beer.)

Yooper3.1

My wife likes Lyre's.  You can get them online.  They have all sorts of flavors (with cute animals on the bottles) that are supposed to replicate real liquors.  Though in some cases they are more expensive than the real liquor.

Have a blessed Lent.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Gruvi makes some good stuff https://www.getgruvi.com/pages/our-drinks

PBR makes a non alcoholic version as does Coors Light (coors edge) and Heinikin makes their 0.0. These might be easier to find.

It takes a while to actually find non-alcoholic beers in stores and I've found liquor stores have them more than grocery stores.

With all this said, I think looking for a non-alcoholic beer for lent is against the purpose of lent. "I gave up drinking. Well actually I just switched to the non-alcholic version so I really didn't have to go without." It really isn't so hard to give up alcohol.

EDIT: $11 for Bud zero is actually kinda high. PLus that's one of the worst non-alcoholic beers. I've tried it. At least PBR and Coors edge TASTE like normal beer. Bud Zero tastes like they put water into an emptied out budwesier can and sold it to you as new.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks! I'd been wondering about the various brands. I'll check it out.

My wife likes Lyre's.  You can get them online.  They have all sorts of flavors (with cute animals on the bottles) that are supposed to replicate real liquors.  Though in some cases they are more expensive than the real liquor.

Have a blessed Lent.

zebano

Athletic is the only N/A IPA I've liked. I have a confession to make that I cannot make to my RL friends... I tried "Crushberry"  a local sour designed to taste like Capn Crunchberries and it's sickeningly sweet.... and I really enjoyed it.

Sushi is the good shit, wasabi is whatever. If you're going to go that route, I might consider that Sushi is just a transport mechanism for soy sauce but that's true of almost all rice and ultimately with sushi, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I think the hardest part about being Vegan would be giving up cheese. Cheese is simply amazing

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Hello, All!

>Gruvi makes some good stuff https://www.getgruvi.com/pages/our-drinks

Thanks! I've had their stout. Will maybe try some more of their stuff.

BTW: the $10.99 was for a 12-pk of Bud Zero, not a 6-pk. I've ended up mixing it with ginger ale to make it more palatable.

Discovered that Lagunitas now makes at least two NA beers, as does Brooklyn Lager, so those will probably go on the try-it list. They were at Whole Foods.

>I have a confession to make that I cannot make to my RL friends... I tried "Crushberry"  a local sour designed to taste like Capn Crunchberries and it's sickeningly sweet.... and I really enjoyed it.

Given that I enjoy eating Froot Loops as a beer snack with my (duh) beer, I'll have to try this if I can find it. I'm "allowed" to drink during Lent, just not by myself. Going out to eat by myself alas falls into the "by myself" category. Part of this Lent deal is designed to encourage me to meet up with my friends more, as I can get quite loner-ish.