The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

rlopez

I have to admit that I had to drink two before I warmed up to the absinthe margarita but it ain't bad.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Oof! I've only drunk pretty small ones, and just one per sitting at that. Hopefully no 20-miler for you tomorrow AM.

cinnamon girl

ch17: glad you enjoyed the cocktail! Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't had tequila as a usual go-to in my stash but I did have some smoky stuff recently and it probably would be pretty tasty in your recipe. Equal parts tequila and absinthe is intriguing!

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

So, what are the go-to's in your stash?

Mine: tequila, rye and/or bourbon (preferably both), gin, vodka (optional), dry vermouth, Angostura bitters.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

And another question: What movie should I watch this weekend? All genres/languages welcome.

Yooper3.1

Mine: tequila, rye and/or bourbon (preferably both), gin, vodka (optional), dry vermouth, Angostura bitters.

All of the above, plus sweet vermouth, Patron Citronge and Aperol (all versatile mixers).  Bourbon (2 parts) mixes well with the Citronge (one part), plus a lemon twist, to make an Abuelo Viejo.

John Wood

Cocktails, what a strange thing. My current favorite is a good barrel aged gin like Bluecoat or St George Rye based Gin and some ice. Sometimes I even add tonic water. Never understood adding more to my libation than that.

rlopez

I have access to all the special bourbons (stuff like Blanton's and EH Taylor at home... have sampled various pappys and rips)... and I'm currently drinking anejo tequila for my sippers. If you have not had Casa Dragones, I cannot recommend it enough. It is clear, so you think it's just a regular blanco/silver (tangent - I will never get over how blanco somehow equates to silver... no no no), but it is an amazing sipper.

cinnamon girl

Gin, Rye whiskey, Luxardo (maraschino), Campari, sweet vermouth, Green Chartreuse, absinthe, angostura and peychaud bitters. Green Chartreuse is for The Last Word

ch17 - if you haven't - try the Last Word (if you like lime and gin it's delicious)

Yooper - I agree on the Aperol. I've been meaning to add that back. A good Sunday morning or summer afternoon refreshment!

rlopez - I'll look for Casa Dragones - is it hard to find? Also - I'm very interested in the wide array of bitters out there. Just marketing or?thoughts? Do you just buy a flavor you think you'll like - like Cardamom - and add it to whatever your liquor choice is of the day?? I want to do something with them but I'm not sure what.

And another question: What movie should I watch this weekend? All genres/languages welcome.

If you haven’t seen them, either Jojo Rabbit or Parasite. The best movies of the last year, hands down (in that order).

Dave

rlopez

Gin, Rye whiskey, Luxardo (maraschino), Campari, sweet vermouth, Green Chartreuse, absinthe, angostura and peychaud bitters. Green Chartreuse is for The Last Word

ch17 - if you haven't - try the Last Word (if you like lime and gin it's delicious)

Yooper - I agree on the Aperol. I've been meaning to add that back. A good Sunday morning or summer afternoon refreshment!

rlopez - I'll look for Casa Dragones - is it hard to find? Also - I'm very interested in the wide array of bitters out there. Just marketing or?thoughts? Do you just buy a flavor you think you'll like - like Cardamom - and add it to whatever your liquor choice is of the day?? I want to do something with them but I'm not sure what.

Casa Dragones is not well known so it is harder to find... that said, I have 10 cases of it at work, so it isn't particularly hard for a reseller to obtain. However, I rarely see it in a (pre-covid) bar and I always recommend people try before they buy.... but that's hard, because you won't see it. Fun fact, on Indy 500 weekend... the race didn't happen this year... Michael Andretti's crew came in and bought ALL the cases I had. Something like 8 at the time. These are about 450/case. Also, they bought the two bottles of the special Joven version at $280/bottle.

Bitters. Hmm. Kind of depends on how you use them, but YES, there's a lot of marketing behind them for folks only adding a "dash" to their martinis and whatnot. Fun fact, I've taste tested people before to see if they could pick up the difference between bitters flavors and tell me what bitters I used... the answer is that unless they are taste tested side by side and you use A LOT, most folks are pretty chill. And aside from nailing Peychaud, most people can't. Especially if the drink has orange or sour (aka lemon) in it.

But it all comes down to what you are combining them with and how much you use. A "dash" is more than some folks realize. But on the other end of the spectrum, it has become a thing to use TONS of bitters in drinks and/or as a flavor for carbonated water. And yes, at that level, the differences are apparent. Not my thing to put full shots of angostura in a drink. Yuck.

In my bar at home, I have regs angostura and orange (regans, usually). And peychaud's, which I almost never use. It has licorice notes which are not my thing. Chocolate bitters are a good add because they are quite different... but they have a somewhat narrow range. There are a million others, and I have them all at work. Again, most folks can't really tell. And they don't sell well.

It's kind of like "botanicals" in gin. In that case, those are VERY different from each other... but some are so "secret recipe" about it, that it comes down to being a professional gin taster. Trying to match someone to a new gin they'd like (or hate) can be fun, but it can also be frustrating.... and in the end, most people are fine with the basics.

rlopez

BTW, some folks get really weirded out to find out that the basic flavor in hendrick's gin is cucumber.

Also the luxardo maraschino (technically this is maraschino orginale... ooo aaah) sits next to the luxardo cherry on my shelf. That always stumps people.

I'm learning a lot of useful things for once! Thanks!

I've always felt that gins are already "mixed drinks" and prefer to not sully them with other ingredients. If used in mixed drinks, I use the mid-shelf Tanquerays, Hendricks, and Bombays and the like. Currently I'm drinking the local CA gins like Gray Whale and a couple of the St George. I'm getting the idea that like craft beer, craft gin should be experienced while in the region it's made.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Best gin for my money is "Boodles".  Punches way above its price-point.  Good for both gin-tonics and martinis.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BTW, some folks get really weirded out to find out that the basic flavor in hendrick's gin is cucumber.

I'm not a huge gin drinker, but I do enjoy the occasional G&T, always with a lime. A coworker turned me on to Hendrik's, and insisted you need to get it with a slice of cucumber in it. I gave him a funny look, but turns out it's da bomb. It's my go-to G&T now.

Dave