40 miles per week. (Read 628 times)

Jeffrey

I like to mix my weeks of mileage up into chunks of 20, 30 or 40. Something about the 40 mile week that makes my body start talkin' back to me. - my knees start feeling kinda painful (some zingers) - my ankles get sensitive - some muscles have a dull ache If I do a 40 mile week, I like to do a 30 something the next week to give myself some recoery. Is it "bad" to fluctuate this much week-to-week? I am afraid if I keep up the 40s, every week, my body will crumple. Are these minor issues a reaction to the higher mileage ... and I should expect some adaptation benefits? Smile Please say yes. Could be ergonomics too ... I have had sooooo much work since my HM + 5k. Projects galore. I am sitting at my desk all day ... feeling my muscles tightening up and getting grumpy.
      I've read that the 40 mile barrier is hard for most runners. I have had a toughnt time getting past it myself. 40 miles a week tends to break me down and I have to drop down again to recover. My goal is tp start cycling as you do, and eventually getting my body accustomed to 40+ miles on a regular basis. I don't see why your method would cause some adaptation to the point where you will be able to sustain in for longer than you do now.
      "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
        Just from what I got taking a quick look at your log, I'd stick with a few more 30 -35 miles a week before going up to 40 again. Just my 2 cents worth.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just from what I got taking a quick look at your log, I'd stick with a few more 30 -35 miles a week before going up to 40 again. Just my 2 cents worth.
          Yeah, I've heard that in addition to the 10% rule, it's a good idea to plateau at distance for a few weeks before increasing. I think rockenmamof5's $0.02 is right on.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jeffrey

Plateau it is. Thanks. Smile