best running routine for weight loss and stamina? (Read 209 times)

cikana2

Any advice is welcome.  I have fallen into a routine of 3 or 5 mile runs, 2 or three times a week.  Same old same old. I know I should really be doing a series of shorter, faster, and longer runs.  The guy at the shop where I buy my running shoes said I need to shake things up.  Any advice on what might work best?.  I have been running for about 10 years and am a 60 year old male.  Does some sort of "standard" weekly running routine exist to get me started? I can adapt from that.

Ideally I could drop a few pounds and feel better about running.

And how about an exercise bike for non-running days?  I read that many folks like to do that.  

Thanks!

Feeling the growl again

Look up books from Pfitzinger, Daniels, Hudson, and Hansons.  Pick a couple and read them.  That will tell you what you want to know.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

cikana2

got it.  Thanks

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

i would add weightlifting twice a week.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

DeanCarolan

How 'bout 3-4 x 35 minute runs per week with 4-6 x 20-30 seconds worth of strides after each session. Intervals are best for weight loss, and steady runs will obviously increase stamina.

Or simply add a 45 minute trail run at the weekends to your existing routine, putting in the effort on the hilly sections. Should help with both your goals.

Blondie8

I do P90X  chest and arms, shoulders and back, yoga, stretch,ab ripper,  and Kenpo as cross training.  You need

to use different muscle groups than you use to run. P90X is easy because they are DVDs you use at home,

minimal equipment. AND you can modify...I am a 51 yr. old working Mom , not a weight lifter.  But I can do

push ups now ( couldnt before) and crunches and.... you get the idea.  Muscle confusion for weight loss,

that... and eat clean!!  Cut out the processed food, starches and sugars Wink  Good luck!!

cikana2

Thanks again for the advice folks.  I appreciate it.

I don't think your weekly mileage is high enough to even think about running faster, especially if your goal is to lose weight and gain stamina. To me, that says "more miles".

I would try to (slowly) work up to 5 miles per day x 5 days per week, all slow. As someone else said, you could also throw in weight training 2-3x per week.

I'm not an expert in the subject by any means, but I think you need to be on your feet more to increase your stamina.

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out