Massage: pre-marathon or post-marathon? (Read 4351 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What's the better option (as opposed to both, which would be my choice)? DH wants to buy me a one-hour massage, but I'm not sure when it would be more beneficial. I'm thinking after would be more welcome...but maybe I'll be too sore for a few days for it to even feel good. And maybe a few days before the race it will help relax me and loosen training-worn body up. Thoughts?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What's the better option (as opposed to both, which would be my choice)? DH wants to buy me a one-hour massage, but I'm not sure when it would be more beneficial. I'm thinking after would be more welcome...but maybe I'll be too sore for a few days for it to even feel good. And maybe a few days before the race it will help relax me and loosen training-worn body up. Thoughts?
      I got one three days before a marathon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Found it relaxing. I was kinda beat up afterward, so I also got one on mainly the legs. Helped, but wasn't as relaxing, that's for sure. Can you do two half hours? I say, treat yourself beforehand. And good luck.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can you do two half hours? I say, treat yourself beforehand. And good luck.
        Thanks! Big grin Ooh, that 30 minute thing's a thought...but I have a feeling a 30 minute would be like a tease. I have had one professional massage and it was 60 minutes--fastest hour I have ever experienced. Damn, it felt GOOD. And I have another question...is there a certain type of massage I should look for...sports, deep tissue, etc.? I'm not even sure what all of the available options are in this area.

~ Sarah Kay

If before, I lean towards relaxation. That's what I did. Also told him I was there for marathon prep, so he didn't go too hard. Yeah, the time goes fast.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think relaxation was what my massage was a few years back...not too intense, just really soothing. Not at all uncomfortable, but I still walked out like cooked pasta. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

If you opt for before, and you are going for a deep tissue sports type massage, make sure you allow for about 2-3 days before your Martathon, as a good sports massage therapist is trained to HURT you, in a good way. They break up all the adhesions that have built up over your training, and will really give your muscle tissue an overhaul. You need a few days to re-group, but the end result is nice soft pliable muscles that make your run oh so nice..... Wink Enjoy! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

an amazing likeness

Zoom...you've already knocked off a 20-miler. You're not going to be any worse for the wear at the end of your 26.2 than you were after that. Maybe I'm reading too much into your posting, but I'll say it any way -- stop worrying, you've got the 26.2 in the bag.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom...you've already knocked off a 20-miler. You're not going to be any worse for the wear at the end of your 26.2 than you were after that. Maybe I'm reading too much into your posting, but I'll say it any way -- stop worrying, you've got the 26.2 in the bag.
                  Oh, that's not what I'm worried about...more when the massage would be more beneficial/enjoyable and less likely to cause issues (as Cheffy suggested). Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Whatever you do dont get a deep tissue right before the marathon. Personally I would get one this week or wait until after. Things that are mildly annoyed can sometimes be aggravated by a massage (I dont think it is a coincidence that my mildly annoyed knee collapsed the day of my massage). Things that are tight because of your running gait can get too loose. If you do go before tell her you want strictly relaxation and no deep work on the lower body. You could either get a relaxation massage well before or a few days after or go for a deep tissue/sport more than 1 week after to work out any lingering issues.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Things that are mildly annoyed can sometimes be aggravated by a massage (I dont think it is a coincidence that my mildly annoyed knee collapsed the day of my massage). Things that are tight because of your running gait can get too loose.
                      Ahhh...that's kind of what I wanted to know--with my current, longterm, chronic knee garbage I think I'll probably be safer to wait. I can have did give me one of his massages, which are not going to be nearly as intense as a professional...and are FREE! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

I'd do it after - 2 days after if possible. And find someone who does sports massage and knows runners' issues. He or she will find all kinds of spots you didn't even know about!
                        HOSS1961

I'm runnig Richmond 11/15 then a 10k Turkey Trot 11/27...then I am getting a message. Probably a couples massage with Ms. Hoss for our anniversary.
                          HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

Lazy idiot

K, this is from my wife, a licensed massage therapist.
                            After would help her recover faster, and more efficiently....just make sure she stays hydrated, because massage will dehydrate her even more, on top of the run. Don't want to do too much before.....maybe a 15 minute or so warm up, get the blood flowing massage. I would definitely say after....maybe 2 days after the run.... She'll appreciate the massage more after the run...

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, Drew--that is exactly the sort of info. I was looking for...from an authority on the subject. I think that would be perfect...a massage the day after we get back from Milwaukee (since we're driving back the day after the race).

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

Whatever you do dont get a deep tissue right before the marathon.
                                AGREE. I did this once, and my legs were pretty sore for the marathon. If you don't get regular massages at this point I would wait till after the marathon. My marathon is the same day as yours and I am getting one Friday and Tuesday but it is more for my back. My back pain tends to creep up on me during a run, but if I get a massage before it's fine. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't do one before. My suggestion is do the massage afterwards. 30 minutes goes really fast, I wouldn't split it up.

Bugs