Bhearn Call out.... (Read 320 times)

Ultra Cowboy

Thanks Facebook!

While you were sleeping, Bob Hearn and Courtney Dauwalter broke their American AG records (50-54 and 30-34, respectively) for the 200K! 🇱🇷🇱🇷

This morning, Yvonne Naughton completed 200K to secure her place on the Irish National Team! 🇮🇪

And Courtney Dauwalter JUST broke the American AG record for 24 hours.

You still have time to make it down to the Riverbank track to see these incredible athletes do their stuff before the award ceremony at 9am. Go runners, go!

WYBMADIITY

Save

Wow.  Great job!  I like to stalk bhearn's log all of the time since he does such an incredible amount of work.  It paid off big time.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Is that the actual Ireland team or Americans playing at being Irish?

kittenkatkk

English Villain

What pisses me off about people trying to claim nationality from somewhere they've never lived, or been part of the culture. Is the fact they actually want to do that. Why?

My brother was born in South Africa because our parents founded a school there, he has dual nationality but does he want to use it? Does he fuck!

Ireland actually seems to have a really idealised romantic feel to it for Americans (and other nations) who actually had a grandparent or any other blood related fucker from there. In actuality the Irish can probably be identified as the 'most travelled nation' respective of the size and population of their country. Because they couldn't wait to leave.

Ireland is small, has low employment prospects and (fuck yeah) the young and educated are leaving in droves. It also has a huge and troubled history and some very violent people.

That said, so does England, Wales and Scotland. Ireland is no different to the rest of us heathen savages, but what really pisses me off about the American's 'love' of Ireland is. YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE BECAUSE YOU'VE NEVER LIVED THERE.

It's absolutely beautiful, but no fucker in their own mind stays there because it's isolated. The real Irish got clued up and left.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

That's going to be deleted isn't it? I'm right, any deletion is wrong.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

If the Irish national team is so obscure that it means that people win by default and not actually by being accomplished athletes? I don't support that at all.

No idea, please explain Smile

Stick to beer love, the hard stuff makes you angry.

bhearn

Yvonne is definitely Irish. Happens to live in WA at the moment. But you can't make the Irish team without being an Irish citizen. And that's as Irish a brogue as I've ever heard. (I tried to make the Canadian 24-hour team for 2015 Worlds, because I was a Canadian permanent resident. Not good enough.)

Win by default... not actually by being accomplished athletes... you have no fucking clue. Yvonne ran an incredible race. 132 miles, very consistent and solid. No, that wouldn't make the US team (this year -- in past years, it would have). Our country is, well, just a big larger. She will make a great addition to the team, which, does in fact have several solid performers. I met several at Spartathlon. One (Eoin Keith) kicked my ass, beat me by an hour.

I shouldn't respond to this obvious troll bait. But dissing hard-earned accomplishments by friends of mine is not cool.

Congrats on your race. I think 132 miles is pretty damn cool, congrats to your friend as well.

HermosaBoy

Well done Bhearn!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

bhearn

Thanks. My race went very well… until it didn’t. I was sitting in the #4 spot on the national team, with 149.24 miles, trying to improve that. They take the top 6. So I needed to run over 150, to defend my position against all the other guys trying to qualify before the window ends on 4/2.

Going into Riverbank, I had a persistent issue at 24-hour where I crash 8-9 hours in, walk several laps, then recover and stay strong for the rest of the race. I've been working with a sports nutritionist, and finally fixed that this time. Everything was PERFECT, effortless, though 100M. I was planning to speed up at 16 hours, then cut out the walk breaks at 20, depending on how I felt.

I hit incidental PRs at 100K, 12 hr, 100M (15:55 -> 15:30), and 200K (19:44 -> 19:37), the latter also improving my 50+ AR. Then... it just got too hard. I walked a few laps at 16 hours, trying to get a reset so I could keep running 2:15 - 2:20 laps comfortably and still hit 152ish. Held on through 200K. Then it got worse. The thing I don’t understand is, my body felt GREAT. I was running well within myself, feeling pretty confident, at 100 miles, that 154-155 was going to happen. I always think of 24-hour performance as ultimately being limited by cumulative muscle damage. But this time it was purely mental. I was very tired, and could not focus, and really, really did not want to be out there for the last several hours. At 20 hours or so I took a gel from the aid station for an extra sugar hit... then puked about a dozen times (remind me to stay away from Huma lemon gels). I hit every trash can on the track. I NEVER puke. And avoiding the mere possibility of GI issues is really what my low-carb training and low-calorie, body-fat-fueled racing are all about. I did up my calorie intake this time, from 100 / hour to 150. But that's still much less than the 300 or so most ultrarunners go for. After all the puking and walking, I could no longer hit 150 miles (I think... normally I am great at pacing math, but my brain was not working), and with all the extra walking I was doing finally my body was really hurting. So the last few hours were pretty half-hearted. I finished at 144.4 (about the same as at Desert Solstice 11 weeks ago, though it played out completely differently).

I'm kind of in a bad place emotionally after this. I just CAN NOT get this damn thing right. It's been my primary running goal for 2 1/2 years to make the team. I've put all of my running energy and focus into it, taking a lot away from other parts of my life. And my last three attempts have been pointless (as well as really, really hard). It's out of my hands now. I'll have to wait and see what happens. Rich Riopel bumped me from #4 to #5 with his 152, and a lot of heavy hitters are going to take their final shots in the next few weeks.

bhearn

And Courtney Dauwalter JUST broke the American AG record for 24 hours.

That was the OVERALL American 24-hour record. And she CRUSHED it (152 -> 155.3).

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Bob, Sorry that it didn't go as desired. Hopefully you'll make the team and 'get it right'.

I always enjoy your post race analysis. Good luck

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What pisses me off about people trying to claim nationality from somewhere they've never lived, or been part of the culture. Is the fact they actually want to do that. Why?

You mean runners like Zola Budd whose only chance to run in the Olympics was to claim British citizenship though born and raised in South Africa? Or maybe all the Kenyan runners that have moved to and gained citizenship in European countries because the depth of runners in Kenya makes it difficult to be chosen for the national team? Or maybe all those who came to the US for an education then stayed because of job opportunities?

Something in this thread seems to have touched a raw nerve. I don't think I've ever seen you rant like this, though I was never a part of L&O on RWOL.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Prolly hormones, slick. It'll pass in a day or two.