Runners (athletes) Cheat (Read 1727 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, but all training is.  I think that's actually part of the definition of training.

Sure.

But the article is about running. Not training. The word "train" appears only once in the entire article, and that towards the bottom.

You're grasping now.  The article is clearly about training.  The fact that it only uses the word "training" once is immaterial.

Runners run

Runners are masters of self-deception.

This is something I'd be interested in reading an article about (an article more clearly and directly about this tendency than the original).  My experience has been that even when you think you are on guard against that sort of thing, it's really easy to fall into.  I guess it's hard to come to terms with your limitations.  I think most of us assume that we have an inexhaustible supply of toughness and willpower, and it is a very sobering experience to realize during a race, a hard interval workout or a long, hot weekend run that you just don't want to give any more (not that you can't).

It's nice that in running there are at least races to help us cut through some of the self-deception. For several years as a young adult I did a lot of karate training, and that is a community that breeds a huge amount of self deception among otherwise normal-seeming adults.

Why is it sideways?

Jeff, didn't you run and win that race in its inaugural year?

Dance, puppet, dance.

Wait, I ran and won it, and I didn't even train for it, since that would obviously have been impossible. 

Trent's logic is so backwards, it's forwards.

Why is it sideways?

This is something I'd be interested in reading an article about [self-deception] (an article more clearly and directly about this tendency than the original).  

This is a great piece from sometime poster Scout7 on the topic.

Here's a blog post I recently wrote on the topic: "Running as Self-Acceptance."

(yeah, shameless self-promotion, a close cousin of shameless self-deception!)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wait, I ran and won it, and I didn't even train for it, since that would obviously have been impossible. 

Trent's logic is so backwards, it's forwards.

You cannot train for Monkey, but that does not mean you cannot win it. Of course, everybody who runs Monkey looses.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The article is clearly about training.

On what do you base this assertion?

xor

Somebody in this thread needs a hug.

bhearn

Of course, everybody who runs Monkey looses.

You did that on purpose, I hope... looser.

L Train

There have been times when I've stepped off the treadmill between intervals to drink water. 

I have also stopped my watch while pooping in the woods.

On the basis that I can read.

Runners run

xor

I don't stop my watch, but I will record a special split time for Woods Poop.  I keep a big chart of poop times.  I hope to create an 'experiment' somewhat like the dude's lightweight shoe experiment.  The effect of lighter weight ("I just lost a couple pounds the hard way") on times.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Yo!  Ilene!!!

Insert downward spiral emoticon 6 10 posts back.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I can read.

xor

Sigh.