Yeah, so okay. (Read 1496 times)

I love how the talking heads are telling us that we're basically going back to mainframes and dumb terminals.  That kicked so much ass.

I'll buy the OS commoditization, browser-as-interface model for mere mortal users, IE folks who thought the internet was invented 12-15 years ago. 

But it will never take off as a whole, because it doesn't work for those of us who use technology for actual work. 

What it will do is re-create the old echelon between user and hacker, which might be a good thing because the average user is getting to the point where they know enough that they can start being a danger to themselves and others.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

MrH

Well, except when the internet is unavailable.

I thought you were the internet.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Windows 8 does look pretty cool.

Never mind.  Lion looks even better.  It appears to have many of the same functions, but better executed.  Plus more...

xor

What will be the next big cat codename after Lion?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

New paradigm.  Monkey.

xor

But I still want to know what the Cat Man Do.

Once upon a time, The Borg got in great big trouble for saying they were going to cut off Netscape's air supply.  (side note: and 14 years later, Netscape's vision of a browser-contained application world is somewhat coming to pass, somewhat).

Anyway.  With the changing of the guard from one Borg to the new Borg.  I think the cat man should just call the thing after Lion "Redmond Shorthair".

Imminent Catastrophe

Or too damned expensive, like in higher-end hotels. I refuse to be ripped off. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can't you go out to the strip and pick up one off the street, and ignore the ones in the hotel?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah.  It is weird.  The $250/night hotels charge $11.99 for internet daily while the $49.99 Super-8 gives it away for free.

Can't you go out to the strip and pick up one off the street, and ignore the ones in the hotel?

You get what you (don't) pay for.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

fast momma!

I want to be in a place in my life where I can bitch about high-end hotels. I am NOT, but I want to be. . .

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

xor

I want to be in a place in my life where I can bitch about high-end hotels. I am NOT, but I want to be. . .

But this is a particular weird thing.... as noted above.  You stay in super-8 and motel 6, you get free internet.  You stay in a more upscale place where you are already shoveling them more money, and you start getting fewer extras.  Internet is suddenly spendy and certainly no free breakfast food.

Sure, it is a "bitch", but it is also a very salient one because it makes no damn sense. 

As for going outside and picking up free internet from someone else, this is becoming a lot less common these days.  Especially popping in (aka 'trespassing') on a cheaper hotel's free internet. They are usually password protected, although sometimes the password is easy to guess.

What I do? If there's a free-internet hotel nearby for which I'm one of their members (membership in hotel frequent guest programs is free), I will walk into their lobby and say "hi, I'm in your whatever-it-is-called program, and I was wondering if I could sit in the lobby for a few minutes and use your wireless." I've only had a couple places say no.

Or find a starbucks.  Starbucks used to charge for internet too, but most don't anymore.

Not as good as in-room, but it bugs me to have to pay a hotel another 12 bucks for internet if I (or the company I'm working for) is already paying them.

But mostly I stay at Holiday Inn Express, Super 8, etc, where the internet be free and the rooms sometimes smell sketchy. WOOT.

Pretty soon, the data plans from my phone provider will hit a good price point (and 4g speeds), I HOPE, and I will just switch to that.  Which will be nice because my home internet via qwest/century just doubled in price.  Bastards.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, they are work trips paid for by either your tax dollars or by my employer.  They always put meetings at these conference hotels which are high-end.

Most days I'm amazed it even works at all...

mikeymike

I am in that place in my life and let me tell you it is awesome.  Most of the time I choose not to bitch about high-end hotels, but just knowing that I could makes me feel all tingly inside.

Runners run