Custom topics list (Read 510 times)

eric :)

Hi all,

I don't know how many of you know about the topic subscription page (hover over the "Forums" menu item and then select "My Topics").  It lists all of your subscribed topics, if you have any.  I have updated this page to provide additional functionality.  You can now change the filter to list topics in the following categories:

• Subscribed
    • Replied
    • Read
    • All

This page aggregates all topics from the public forums as well as all groups that you belong to.  It's a more detailed version of "Latest Topics", but customized just for you.  Have fun!

eric Smile

bhearn

Thank you!!! This would be the top new feature I've wanted since joining.

MTA on second thought, I'm not sure I understand. Is it limited to some number of items? I'm sure I've replied to far more threads than show up there filtering on "Replied". But it's not just the most recent ones, either, because there's a thread from 2010.

MTA again, I'm going to guess that the list is limited to threads we have read since you turned on thread tracking a couple months ago.

... and again... one additional useful feature would be to filter for threads with unread posts. This would be an independent filter (checkbox somewhere) from the existing filter selection.

xor

apologies for being mobile ignorant, but does this feature work for others using android browsers?  i switched to firefox with the site upgrade and Im having all sorts of goofy issues. specific to this, I dont know how to do the equivalent of a mouseover... so I dont see the dropdown menu. and clicking on forums just reloads the forum page.

Thank you!!! This would be the top new feature I've wanted since joining.

MTA on second thought, I'm not sure I understand. Is it limited to some number of items? I'm sure I've replied to far more threads than show up there filtering on "Replied". But it's not just the most recent ones, either, because there's a thread from 2010.

MTA again, I'm going to guess that the list is limited to threads we have read since you turned on thread tracking a couple months ago.

As you have guessed, the replied and read topics are limited to when I turned on thread tracking.  I decided not to populate the full list because I don't know how many people are interested in going all the way back to their first post.  Besides, the paging mechanism does not easily lend itself to that task either, if you read/reply to many topics.

apologies for being mobile ignorant, but does this feature work for others using android browsers?  i switched to firefox with the site upgrade and Im having all sorts of goofy issues. specific to this, I dont know how to do the equivalent of a mouseover... so I dont see the dropdown menu. and clicking on forums just reloads the forum page.

I noticed that the current menu style does not work well with mobile devices, which is why I'm slowly phasing out this type of menu.  I'm thinking I should also make this page more prominent, instead of being tucked away under a menu.  That would make the mobile issue moot, as soon as I (or yous) come up with a fancy marketing name for it.  In the mean time, you can get to it with this link: /forums/filtered_view

nevermind. the old "force a refresh" worked.

Runners run

nevermind. the old "force a refresh" worked.

I was puzzled by this because the build system tracks all JavaScript and style sheet changes and automatically increments the version to ensure your browser picks up the changes.  Then I realized I'm migrating the JavaScript code to a better alternative and I didn't update the build system to monitor the new folder.  I'll have the hotfix out later today.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't actually know how Subscribe and Follow work.

Here's my guess, based on the tooltips and what you posted above.

On any thread, there is a Subscribe button. The tooltip says that that causes you to receive email. Your post above says that subscribed threads will all show in the new My Topics page.

Under the Subscribe button, there is a Follow button. The tooltip on that says it adds the topic to your follow list.

So I deduce that Subscribe = get email and show up on My Topic List

Follow == show up on Follow List

Is the Follow List the same as the My Topic list, or is it different?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Looks like Chrome has an issue (maybe this is what Mikey was saying?) .  The My Topics page is blank, IE show the page correctly.  Did the force refresh and opened a new browser with the same results

Chrome - Version 23.0.1271.97 m on Win 7 Ent

HermosaBoy

Looks like Chrome has an issue (maybe this is what Mikey was saying?) .  The My Topics page is blank, IE show the page correctly.  Did the force refresh and opened a new browser with the same results

Same for me.

Version 23.0.1271.97 m on Windows XP

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Yep.

I was on a PC at home this AM, running Win XP Pro, with Chrome. I forced a reload and the list populated. Now from my work laptop, Windows 7 Ent with Chrome Version 23.0.1271.97 m and the first few tries the list was empty, now it's populated.

Runners run

I noticed that the current menu style does not work well with mobile devices, which is why I'm slowly phasing out this type of menu.  I'm thinking I should also make this page more prominent, instead of being tucked away under a menu.  That would make the mobile issue moot, as soon as I (or yous) come up with a fancy marketing name for it.  In the mean time, you can get to it with this link: /forums/filtered_view

I like the new topics list! Thanks.

Using FF 17.0.1 with Win 7 on desktop, with any of the menus, I can mouse-over to see the drop-down menu, but if I try to click it, it disappears. What I seem to have to do  is to drag the "Forums" item down, then the "My Topics" sits there so I can click it. It took me a while to figure out how to get to the My Topics, esp. in a reproducible manner. Wink

It's the same issue with the Training log downloads, except there I do get a tabbed choice of downloading from gps or file, so there was an alternative.

I'm not sure if that's the intended behavior, but it's different from other dropdown lists I've used (maybe I'm the weird one).

Thanks again since I remember posting "somewhere" but don't always remember where.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't actually know how Subscribe and Follow work.

Here's my guess, based on the tooltips and what you posted above.

On any thread, there is a Subscribe button. The tooltip says that that causes you to receive email. Your post above says that subscribed threads will all show in the new My Topics page.

Under the Subscribe button, there is a Follow button. The tooltip on that says it adds the topic to your follow list.

So I deduce that Subscribe = get email and show up on My Topic List

Follow == show up on Follow List

Is the Follow List the same as the My Topic list, or is it different?

Can one click the Subscribe button? I tried, thinking that would subscribe me (rather than adding it to the follow list), but it seems to only open the submenu. Is Subscribe the same as Follow, or different?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I have fixed this problem.  See my previous post for explanation.

Yes it's fixed now, was not sure if that is the issue reported by Mikey and what you said would be fixed later today.

Anyway a cool feature, thanks Eric.