Thinking of taking the plunge... (Read 1134 times)

Fool

Hi all, New runner here. Started C25K in September, never really planned on racing - but the great community on here certainly makes it tempting. There is a 6K at Breakheart Reservation this Saturday, and I regularly hike and walk there - so it is tempting. The course is mostly flat, asphalt paved road. The downside is that I have been an almost exclusive treadmiller (4% incline), and I'm told there is a learning curve. I'm hoping I have enough treadmill miles to serve as a base for this small race. Not looking to set any records, though a first race is a PR by default. I'm thinking of doing a slow run of the course on Wednesday night to feel how I react to the hardtop and moving scenery. Since I've started running, I've finished C25K and One Hour Runner, and since then have just been slowly adding to my mileage and have reached a point of "Where do I go from here" training-wise. I've opened up my log so feel free to dive in and expose my ignorance. What I don't know about running could fill a book. Thanks in advance.
      Do it. You'll never know unless you try.
      jeffdonahue

Hi all, New runner here. Started C25K in September, never really planned on racing - but the great community on here certainly makes it tempting. There is a 6K at Breakheart Reservation this Saturday, and I regularly hike and walk there - so it is tempting. The course is mostly flat, asphalt paved road.
        Umm... I live in Melrose and that course is in NO WAY "mostly flat". You start at Wakefield HS and the first couple hundred yards are up hill. You have a quarter mile maybe of flat getting into Breakheart Reservation and then head down the right side of the bike trail where the hills are just freaking brutal. After the turnaround the hills are not as bad but still rolling throughout. The end is nice though because the last quarter mile is flat and then a good downhill to the finish back at the HS. Not trying to discourage you, but you should definitely walk it so you know what you are in for. It is a tough course with steep uphills and steep downhills. From what I remember (been a few years since I ran that race) it is very well run and they had lots of raffles and some kids races as well. If you are looking for a flatter race to do you could try the Wed. Nite 5Ks held at the Lord Wakefield Hotel by the Mystic Runners. Or head up to Lowell on Tuesdays for BadDawg's (hey, note the plug) race series, which he says is very flat. Best of luck Jeff

Another Passion

To quote Nike... "Just Do It". You'll do fine and you have the proper attitude.

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Fool

Umm... I live in Melrose and that course is in NO WAY "mostly flat". You start at Wakefield HS and the first couple hundred yards are up hill. You have a quarter mile maybe of flat getting into Breakheart Reservation and then head down the right side of the bike trail where the hills are just freaking brutal. After the turnaround the hills are not as bad but still rolling throughout. The end is nice though because the last quarter mile is flat and then a good downhill to the finish back at the HS.
            Ah... OK... my confusion... I always enter from the Saugus side where the right side of the outer loop is fairly flat (by hiking standards). Just to make sure I get it right - it starts at the High School, heads down past the Vocational School and follows the outer loop counter clockwise and back to start? Malden, here... glad to see another local. Any chance anyone from RA is running this?
            jeffdonahue

Ah... OK... my confusion... I always enter from the Saugus side where the right side of the outer loop is fairly flat. Just to make sure I get it right - it starts at the High School, heads down past the Vocational School and follows the outer loop counter clockwise and back to start? Malden, here... glad to see another local. Any chance anyone from RA is running this?
              Yeah, the side you are thinking of is the return side of the loop for the 6K. But yes, it does start at teh HS and head past the Vocational School and follows the loop counter-clockwise. It is that other side that is kind of tough. dont get me wrong, I still say go for it. It is a good race and well run, but I just didnt want you to think it was all flat like that other side of the loop. I'm not running it this year as I am trying to complete the USATF-New England Grand Prix series this year and actually have a 6K scheduled for Mother's Day as my next race in Nashua. Go for it and have fun. Jeff
                Hi all, New runner here. Started C25K in September, never really planned on racing - but the great community on here certainly makes it tempting. There is a 6K at Breakheart Reservation this Saturday, and I regularly hike and walk there - so it is tempting. The course is mostly flat, asphalt paved road. The downside is that I have been an almost exclusive treadmiller (4% incline), and I'm told there is a learning curve. I'm hoping I have enough treadmill miles to serve as a base for this small race. Not looking to set any records, though a first race is a PR by default. I'm thinking of doing a slow run of the course on Wednesday night to feel how I react to the hardtop and moving scenery. Since I've started running, I've finished C25K and One Hour Runner, and since then have just been slowly adding to my mileage and have reached a point of "Where do I go from here" training-wise. I've opened up my log so feel free to dive in and expose my ignorance. What I don't know about running could fill a book. Thanks in advance.
                If you are running at 4% incline on the treadmill, the transition to outside shouldn't be that tough. You will take a little more pounding from the asphalt/concrete, but one race won't kill you. You will quickly forget about the treadmill once you get over the initial fear of the road.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Russ, get your butt outdoors! Really, I can't imagine running on that dreadmill in 95% of weather conditions. Register for that race and run your heart out--I know you'll love it! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

What I don't know about running could fill a book. .
                    The most important thing you havent learned yet is that running outside is soooooooooooooo much better. Dreadmill is what I use to punish myself for not getting up early enough to run outside. DO IT!!!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giants Fan

I have to agree with the last two posts...get outside and run!!! I think you will like it so much better than indoors on the treadmill. I would go crazy without breaks from that awful-repetitive machine. Running outdoors just does something for you...and as for the race, go for it! What is the worst that can happen? CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Hey! DH almost exclusively trained for a marathon on the treadmill.... the only time not was on our Saturday long runs. I think for a 6K, considering you are throwing in some incline, you should be ok...but I agree with the others who told you to run outdoors (if you can).
                        Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

Fool

For me the treadmill has been very convenient. I wanted to get started and was worried about the road impact - but I weighed almost 45lbs more when I started... Now I have discovered that at 99:59 seconds, my treadmill shuts down. If I want to extend my long run past 10 miles, I'll need to get faster than 10:00mm, get a new treadmill, or take it outside. Stilll a proud feeling to 'beat' the treadmill, and still have enery left. Big grin The funny thing is I have been planning on swapping out some indoor miles for outdoors, and was planning on doing my runs at the same location this race is at. I kind of stumbled on the race info by accident and started to think, "why not?" Eventually I hope to do longer distances. My best time for (treadmill) 5K is 25:55, and at 6'2", 200lbs - I think I have a better shot aiming for endurance over speed. Between my hiking legs, pain tolerance, and the determination of a fool - I'm curious as to where this hobby will take me.
                          Ringmaster

Hi! I do a lot of my running on a treadmill since I tend to run in the early morning and I run alone a lot. Not ideal for outside running. This was my "training" for my first 5k and it was fine--and I was much faster on the road, btw--hopefully you'll discover the same! But yes, running outside is much more fun, so I hope you'll get some outside running in soon, especially as you increase your mileage. You know you have to post a race report, don't you?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

"Where do I go from here"
                              Where do we go from here? Which is the way that's clear? Still looking for that blue jean, baby queen Prettiest girl I've ever seen... Run the race. It will be fun. Big grin

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Plunge McRat, plunge. Races are a blast, and for me at least they're pretty addictive.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.