Cotton Socks (Read 1744 times)

How long do you have to run for before cotton socks become uncomfortable? I usually run for about 30 minutes and never had any problems with them except in the cold. Is it more of a personal preference? I'm thinking about getting some running socks. Just wondering Smile
    Goals: Run.
      31 minutes, exactly. :-)

Seriously, it depends on  how much you're sweating, your shoes, how they fit, etc. In the winter I wear cotton all the time even for very long runs. In the summer, never. 

xor

Go with what works.  If you don't get blisters in cotton socks and they feel comfortable, stick with them.

For many of us, they don't work.  I am uncomfortable running in cotton socks pretty immediately.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I am uncomfortable running in cotton socks pretty immediately.

Bless your cotton socks.

Once you try running socks you would not want to wear cotton again.  One other advantage of running socks is that they tend not to get as smelly and while they are pricey, usually last a long time.
              I have accumulated a mix of thick cotton socks and and running-specific socks.  I don't notice a difference. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Once you try running socks you would not want to wear cotton again.  One other advantage of running socks is that they tend not to get as smelly and while they are pricey, usually last a long time.

Beyond that, you may find you have a pair of  "go-to" socks. After blisters and trying lots of different socks, I have my go-to socks - they are pricey but have never let me down.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't even own any cotton socks, anymore.  It's all Smartwool, all the time!  My running socks spoiled me...eventually all of my cotton socks were trashed and replaced with wool.  If my feets ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Are we really having a conversation about socks?

Wasn't there a thread a while back about how many miles you should put on a pair of socks before retiring them?

Scout7

I wear cotton.  Never had an issue with regards to running in them.

The King of Beasts

It's all Smartwool, all the time!  

Zooms with the win.  i swear my my wool socks.  1 blister in about 3 years.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

dennrunner

Of course. For me, socks are the second most important item of running equipment, with shoe choice being the first. I stopped wearing cotton after the first few months of running when high-bulk orlon became available in my area. Since then, I use various blends, but never cotton. Too much friction.

Wasn't there a thread a while back about how many miles you should put on a pair of socks before retiring them?

Yes, there was. Somebody even posted a picture of the sock monster.

Sometimes I'll wear cotton socks in the winter or maybe a shorter run, but my feet don't like cotton too much the warmer it gets - blisters and stuff.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

The Thunder

How long do you have to run for before cotton socks become uncomfortable? I usually run for about 30 minutes and never had any problems with them except in the cold. Is it more of a personal preference? I'm thinking about getting some running socks. Just wondering Smile

I've never had any trouble with drinking milk...but I hear some people are lactose intollerant.  Should I stop drinking milk?  Just wondering. 

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Baby bean!

Good to see you back here! 

As for your question, I still haven't purchased real running socks.  I have only run in cotton socks that are labeled 'athletic' socks.  (ie new balance socks).  Honestly, although I want to 'get' smartwool type of socks, the need isn't there yet.  Maybe when we go longer distances.

Goals:
                                Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.