Do you dropout of the marathon when you are having a bad day? (Read 254 times)

Prince of Fatness

+1

I enjoyed many years of Spaniel's great training advice and running exploits.

The interval thread was cash money back in the day that I ran intervals.

Not at it at all. 

Joann Y

+1

I enjoyed many years of Spaniel's great training advice and running exploits.

Same!

runnerswhirled

whirly, you are starting to entertain me Smile

good thing i delurked.  you'll be happy to know that i can stick around to entertain.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

good thing i delurked.  you'll be happy to know that i can stick around to entertain.

Well you could start by making your training log public. That’s assuming that you actually run.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm not saying that he made the right decision to stay with the pacers.  What I am proposing is that the decision of whether to stick with the pacers involves different trade-offs at different paces.  Racing a sub-2:20 marathon, or even a sub-2:30 marathon, is a very different thing from racing a sub-2:45 or a sub-3:00, which in turn are very different from racing a sub-4.  Each is a very difficult thing, but the different races are run at different intensity levels, and can play out very differently in terms of finding people to run with, etc.

Yes, but even so, it's much harder to run by yourself than with a group.  When big races like Cherry Blossom, Boston, etc offer a separate women's elite start, it's understood that there's a trade-off to going with the elite start - if you end up isolated, you are unlikely to run the time you would have run starting with the masses, and all the crowd support and atmosphere isn't going to make up for the lack of company.

I think so as well.

If you've been watching London over the last several years, you will see that the elites have been having to make choices like this: Go with the pacers at a suicidal pace, or let them go.

You may say, as a hobbyjogger like me, it is always better to run your own race and let them go, but, I'm no longer convinced that that applies the same there. Look what happened in 2017. Evaluating that from my hobbyjogger perspective, it looked like Mary Keitany et al. threw their hopes away, but, I watched the whole thing, and I saw what happened. Yes, Dibaba had to stop and walk. And throw up. Then she started running again, onto what? #3 on the all-time list? And I venture to guess that Keitany's performance there (WOWR) helped not only her value (as a racer), but also her intimidation factor (against her competitors).

And I watched Keitany race her first New York. At about the four mile mark, she put the hammer down and blew out that line of women who were drafting right behind her in a line. That's not a decision that would ever make sense for me. And she did "blow up" later for it, but she was "swinging for the bleachers", as she had explicitly said (that she was seriously contemplating trying for Paula's record, way back then). And her "blowing up" still put her on the podium.

So I think there are different factors playing in there, that are just not analogous to my racing life.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.