Pain on the knees (Read 540 times)

frankaarthur

When I was young and skinny I used to run cross country. I would work out all the time. I stopped running and gained about 50 pounds. It's been about 12 years, since I last worked out. I am up to 3.8 miles, but my knees are bothering me. I am using Asics running shoes. When I start my run I feel pain in my knees, after I warming up the pain kind of goes away. Is there anything I can use on my knees that would help with the pain. I am making better choices when it come down to eating. My goal is to get down to 200 lbs. I am sure that my weight has some thing to do with the pain in the knees
      I'm guessing maybe adding some walking in to the mix or maybe slow down the running a bit. I had all sorts of aches and pains while running off the first 30 pounds. It got easier after that.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

frankaarthur

Thanks.
        frankaarthur

Thirty pounds off, I bet you feel better. That is my goal. Art
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How are your shoes? New, old...properly fitted from a running store? Sore knees could be from early training and weight, but it could be improper or worn out shoes, too. Hard to say. When I first started running I had knee pain, but it's different from the pain due to overtraining and/or improper shoes/stability for one's needs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I currently have sore knees immediately into a run, which then goes away before I finish the first mile, but then comes back around mile 7 or 8. My doctor says I have Chondromalcia Patella and Patellar Tendonitis, the cure for both is to develop better quad strength. A long time ago I did strength training 3X a week, including a vigorous leg workout, and ran once a week. Then suddenly I started marathon training 5X a week and dropped the strength training altogether. I ran a long time without any knee pain, but eventually my legs grew weaker and the knee pain began. The trouble is once your knees are injured, you can't just go back into the gym and start doing regular leg exercises, because that will make the condition worse. Instead you have to strengthen the quads without bending your legs more than a few degrees, which means lots of repetitions at very low weight. For example, you can do leg extensions, but only bend your knees between 0 and 10-15 degrees. You can also try wearing knee braces while running, but that is avoiding the root cause. And of course, this is assuming that your shoes aren't the problem.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And of course, this is assuming that your shoes aren't the problem.
                And it could be both. I think my own knee issues are part insufficient rearfoot stability (hard to find when my feet like a really flexible forefoot--orthotics have been my cure), but also part hamstrings that are too strong relative to my quads. The day after my marathon my hamstrings did not hurt AT ALL--but my quads are still feelin' it. backroadrunner mentioned that her hamstrings also felt sore and tight, which makes me think that, yeah...I have some really tough hamstring muscles, which probably have helped pull my kneecap off track.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay