Eustachian tubes "sticking" open after hard workout (Read 7575 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Um. Incorrect. Incidence is a rate that something occurs over a given time period. Prevalence is the rate at which something occurs in a population at a single point in time. There is no such thing as a lifetime prevalence. And lifetime incidence means that 3 in 1000 or 6 in a 100 have previously or will suffer it (if we believe those numbers). It does not mean that these people have necessarily suffered from it. And the article on eMedicine states that only 10-20% of these have enough symptoms to seek treatment. If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to witness it, does it really fall? I dunno, but asymptomatic PET is, er, asymptomatic. Try again sir.

Why is it sideways?

I love it when Trent gets all uppity.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, the core of medicine is no longer an autonomous, transcendental subjectivity, to be found in textbooks and on the internet: it lies in the perpetual beginning of reflection, at the point where an individual life begins to reflect on itself.
        finney

Resident pinniped

Is he ever not uppity? Roll eyes It's not what you say, Trent, it's how you say it. Everyone here isn't a Big Elite Doctor. Sorry if us peons exasperate you. Maybe you should go find a more suitable crowd to preside over.
            go Trent Go.......is that sorta like Go Speedracer, Go speedracer, go speedracer go.....
              Well, whether they're stuck open or stuck closed, it's really irritating. Smile I'm assuming Tremont is the only other person here who's experienced this before?
              Brandon
              JakeKnight

Is he ever not uppity? Roll eyes It's not what you say, Trent, it's how you say it. Everyone here isn't a Big Elite Doctor. Sorry if us peons exasperate you. Maybe you should go find a more suitable crowd to preside over.
                Wait. Did you just call Trent elite? That's a good one. He is big, though. In the calfal region. Calfal is a medical term. You wouldn't understand. As for you two power tools bickering over Bartolomeo Eustachi's most famous discovery, once you've finished your dorkfest - maybe you could help the poor OP out and actually tell him what to DO about his problem. I doubt he really cares much beyond that. It's like Scout's problem with ED. He doesn't care what causes it. He just wants it fixed so that Globule's mom will stop purring like a kitten all the time.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Everyone here isn't a Big Elite Doctor. Sorry if us peons exasperate you. Maybe you should go find a more suitable crowd to preside over.
                  In fact, there is no way to respond. Wait, I just did. Sheesh. I will say this, I ain't no elite doc, and you "peons" do not exasperate me. And only Scout and JK preside over anybody around here. Actually, I usually try to be pretty level, except when attacked by random quotes off the internet. Even then I try to be level. Sometimes I succeed better than others. I apologize if you find me otherwise. Believe it or not, and many folks seem to find this hard to believe, most docs actually do like people and wanna help them. Sometimes helping requires dispelling misinformation or minimizing the perceived likelihood of rare diseases. Elite? Really? Wow.
                    Elite? Really? Wow.
                    We're going to hear about this for quite a while aren't we? Big grin Wink

Michelle

finney

Resident pinniped

Well, a lot of times you come off snarky, holier than thou, and judgemental. In fact, most of the time. I'm not trying to get in a flame war with you, that's just how I see it. If someone has incorrect information there are better ways to correct them if you know differently than starting posts out with "sigh".
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The sigh was to the blast of quotes from off the internet, without context or discussion. That posting approach implies, "I am right, here is evidence, and you are an idiot". Indeed, I often snark. Snark is humor and it has long been fairly common around here. That kind of humor is part of what has brought many of us together and made us close over the years. Humor occasionally hurts, and for any pain I injected, I apologize. Of late, there seems to be a lot more sensitivity to snark, and I have generally backed down from it, except with people I have known for a while. I judge nobody. And everybody has a right to their views, and I value everybody's views. Sometimes they are poorly informed. Sometimes they are informed by book knowledge but inadequate experience. I certainly do not have all the answers, experiences or knowledge. But I have some, and I am delighted to share with anybody who is interested. I am also happy to engage in dialogue and learn from it. But thoughtful dialog is two-sided and the posts countering mine, above, were not really thoughtful. They simply regurgitated facts out of context.

Prophet!

why don't we all just eat a can of spam. yum!

Oh Mighty Wing

Anyone else realize that Trent wasn't revealed as a doctor for many many posts... and at first it was by scout mentioning him as a colleague... not that helpful if you don't follow the trent/scout/JK/Goblue funny business (which makes me snark regularly and wish I would think of witty mom remarks)... So, it might be fair to assume that Tremont didn't know?? I mean that is possible right??? Next time, Trent, can you sign your posts -- Dr. Flying Monkey Extraordinare Tongue
                              why don't we all just eat a can of spam. yum!
                              You and your Spam! Big grin

Michelle

So, it might be fair to assume that Tremont didn't know?? I mean that is possible right???
                                Maybe. Confused

Michelle