Hoka Bondi 3 Tongue: help me fix it! (Read 74 times)

phred_qz

So I've been burning through miles on my Bondi 2s, and been in Hokas for 3 yrs.  Just got a pair of the Bondi 3 on sale... and ugh.  I see all the old threads from when these came out complaining about the thin tongue and it taking some time to get used to.... well I am 30 miles in and still not used to it.

There have to be some folks who have figured out some "shoe surgery" or other ways to fix it up... will you share your secrets!?

I love my hokas and don't want to give up on em (and my 2's are so shot, I really don't want to wait for next iteration in Spring 2015).

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

Kalsarikännit

I don't know what you mean by "thin" tongue, but I will tell you that it isn't unusual to take a pair of sharp scissors to a pair of Hokas. I have cut the tongue down in one pair. In another, I cut the toe box out (lots of people I know have done this).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

phred_qz

Thanks- thats' good to hear b/c I've been thinking about doing some slicing, but will be annoyed at myself iif I make things worse!

By "thin" (and you're right, that is not a word to use with a hoka!) I mean there is no padding in the tongue, it's just some stiff, felt-y/suede-y fabric, where as in my past hokas, the tongue has had a bit of padding so it felt fine against the ankle.

The thinner version I'm sure makes things lighter, and I saw some blogs saying it worked well for Tri folks... but I'm just a runner, and don't like it pushing against my ankle... if its creating a hot spot at 3 miles, there is no hope for it at 30 Smile

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

The only thing I have been bothered by is the tongue sticking out a little too far and jabbing my ankle. I fixed it by just rolling it back and it stays pretty good.

http://ericstarrtraining.blogspot.com/
          phred_qz

That is the exact right way to describe it. "Ankle jabbing."   I tried the fold, but it didn't seem to like to "stay" for me.

I took scissors to the tongue and didn't do enough slicing as I still had a hot spot on my ankle. Going to do a bit more "hoka surgery" tonight Smile   Knock wood I can get these things to work for me.  Soooo on sale, and I so love my other Bondis!

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done