Advice on prep for a 10K (Read 599 times)

Hi group, have a question for the runners out there. I have been running 5k's for about 2 years, have my time down to 26 min. Thought I would challenge myself and signed up for a 10K in April. I am averaging 10 to 12 miles a week, with my average lunchtime run around 3.8-4 miles. How much should I increase my distances to get ready for the 10k and how does everyone fit these longer training runs in? I run at lunch since Im up around 5ish to get to work, and dont get home till 8:30pm.
    I run because I don't want to give up beer!
      That's a long workday! if you can I would try to do some longer runs on the weekend, this will increase you mileage overall and help with endurance. You definitely want to be comfortable running 12-16kms in order to run a 10k race in a time commensurate with your 5k time. It might be helpful to make your log public so others can give more details. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

You wil have no problem finishing the race but if you want to do well you need to increase your miles per week. Add a few miles per week add 1-2 runs per week until you have at least doubled your mileage.
        Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
          Agree with Cougar89, and that goes for any distance--even the 5k. It's not possible to come even remotely close to your potential, even if you race no further than a mile, on 10-12 mpw. Build up gradually though.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Dave

As far as fitting in the longer training runs, you're going to have some challenges, it sounds like. The weekends are obviously your friend. If a great deal of your work time is your commute, you might be able to work through lunch, quit a little early and run before you head home?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

SMART Approach

Run your normal distance 4 X per week and slowly build on a long run on the weekends to around 8-10 miles. This should get your 10K in line with your 5K. Plus, you will be running your 5Ks much faster. Take your time and gradually build up to this with most of miles comfortable pace.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks for all the advice. Actually trying to incorporate longer runs in my lunch time slot. The challenge was finding a good route in downtown Durham to get the mileage in. I found a paved trail that should give me a good 6 mile loop, trying it out today.
                I run because I don't want to give up beer!