Mac + Garmin = (Read 1768 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

another big cat: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3886 What is it, what does it mean, anybody know?
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hmm, no idea. I'll try it out tonight and see what it's about. BTW, I installed the most version of the Garmin Communicator (the plugin that allows the Garmin to talk to the browser for MB). I'm running and Leopard and whenever I try to upload to MB on Safari, it times out. But it works just fine in Firefox. I think Garmin has a rather confusing array of software, plugins, and websites to deal with. Hope they can streamline things.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jeffglue? I thought it was Jeffglobule! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jeffglue? I thought it was Jeffglobule! Tongue
          at least his picture is always the same. if he starts changing that too we're in trouble.

sean

zer0vector

You might want to try GPSbabel: http://www.gpsbabel.org/ download : http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22695 I use it to grab the files directly from a Garmin 205, and then I upload them manually to Motionbased. It's not quite as easy as the PC based software, but I say anything that gets me away from Garmin software is probably a good thing. One consequence is that the Lap feature of the Garmin isn't supported. It's lost somewhere in the various conversions.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

0Vector, interesting, but why not just use Garmin Communicator, as JeffGlobule suggested above? That takes it off your 205 and puts it on Motionbased all in a single step, and gets your laps too.
              obiebyke

So, dumb question: Communicator will/would make my 305 (or 405?) Mac compatible, basically? That's all I need? There are so many links floating around these boards, and my dad wants to get me a Garmin for my bday but--as a hardcore PC guy--is worried that making it Mac-friendly will cost money or be impossible. Can you spell it out for a psyched owner-to-be?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Dave

On the new Bobcat software, I believe it is much more relevant to devices that you can upload points of interest onto like one of their automotive devices (I've got the Nuvi 360 and love it). As an example, you could put in waypoints for a bunch of addresses before you leave the house and they'd be there as custom points of interest when you set off on your trip. For what its worth, the 205/305 Forerunners are already Mac compatible. The Training Center software sucks on the Mac (and PC in my opinion) but it is compatible, even to uploading firmware etc. I use Sporttracks under VMware and it works like a champ.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Communicator will/would make my 305 (or 405?) Mac compatible, basically? That's all I need?
                    Correct.
                    hup

I use Ascent with my 305/iMac. It's comparable to SportTracks and is written for the Mac. Works great. http://www.montebellosoftware.com/
                      zer0vector

0Vector, interesting, but why not just use Garmin Communicator, as JeffGlobule suggested above? That takes it off your 205 and puts it on Motionbased all in a single step, and gets your laps too.
                        That's a good question, and I will have to admit that I'm primarily a Linux user where GPSbabel is the best (and maybe only) option for getting data off of Garmin devices. I use it with my handheld GPS for loading waypoints, geocaches, etc. I don't use the Mac version much for loading Forerunner files (as the Forerunner isn't even mine!), mainly just to test that it worked before I made the above post. I tried the Garmin Communicator software a while back, but I remember it not working very well (or maybe not at all). Perhaps it's time for another look.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't know if comminicator works on Linux, but it may be worth a shot again.