I'm tanking at the end of my long run. Help!! (Read 1591 times)

I am training for my first full marathon in mid-april (Country Music) and am currently up to 15 miles on my long run. The problem is I am cratering the last mile or two of my long runs and it is becoming increasingly frustrating. For example: my goal race pace is 9:45. on sunday I was running at about 10 minute pace and the last two ended up being 12 min pace. Is this much ado about nothing?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Perhaps you are running too fast? Or too many miles for your fitness level. Are you using gels or other energy supplements...when? Make your log visible and it will be easier for peeps to give you input. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Without having any knowledge of what your training is currently like, it's hard to say. You could be running over your head. You could be starting out too hard/fast. You may not be fit enough to maintain that pace currently. You may just not have enough miles under your belt to be able to run like that. It could be a nutrition issue. It could be a mental issue. It could be terrain-related. What's your goal race pace based on?
          My goal time is based on the fact that I did a half last year in 2 hrs so 2 hours X 2 plus some extra time seemed reasonable. I have opened up my log. This is my first post, so I did not even know I had the log closed. Thanks for the input.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Possibly you're running too fast. Other possibilities include poor nutrition/hydration not enough sleep not enough supporting mileage On a minor note, making your log public gives folks some background info and make it easier to answer some of your questions.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My goal time is based on the fact that I did a half last year in 2 hrs so 2 hours X 2 plus some extra time seemed reasonable. I have opened up my log. This is my first post, so I did not even know I had the log closed. Thanks for the input.
              That's VERY similar to my stats (my HM PR is 2:04:03). I will be running my first full this Fall and am figuring on under 4:30 if I am well-trained and have a good race. Most of the calculators figure my finishing in 4:15-4:20, but I think that's pretty optimistic, really. How many miles are you doing/week...what sort of progression of mileage from week-to-week?

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Still cant see your log Without seeing your log... If your 1/2 M was 2 hours, 10 min miles is a bit fast for your long training runs. Try slowing down to ~10:30 and see if that helps Otherwise...yes until your log is up...

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have opened up my log.
                  I still don't see the link...go into your log preferences (in options at top right) and click on the "Allow everyone to see my running log" radio button. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If your 1/2 M was 2 hours, 10 min miles is a bit fast for your long training runs. Try slowing down to ~10:30 and see if that helps
                    Even 11 min/mile is not a bad idea. I know that's the long run pace that I have seen on training calculators for 2 hour HMers training for marathons. I can only do those 10 minute pace long runs when I'm feeling REALLY on. Better to save the speed for speedwork and races.

~ Sarah Kay

rlemert

If this is the first time you've gone this distance, your body may just be going "what the hey????" When I was training for my marathon I was fine until my long runs reached about 14 miles. After that, whenever I extended my miles I was fine until I'd reached my previous maximum long-run distance, but I'd soon die during the extension. When I ran my first 16 miler, for example, I was fine for the first 14 miles (a distance I'd run before) but cratered during miles 15 and 16. I thought it was just the fact that I was asking my body to do something it hadn't done before, and it just needed convincing that it could do it. I'm currently back up to 16 miles for my max long runs getting ready for a half-marathon a couple of years after my last full. I'm in better shape now with a larger base. I still saw the same effect the first time I reached 16 a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't as significant as it was during my marathon training.

Hey, nice marmot!

Is your log an accurate representation of your mileage? Assuming that it is, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you don't posses enough of a base to support your long runs. In fact, according to your log, it seems around 80% of your weekly mileage is covered in your long run. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that if you want to go 26.2 miles two months from now without tanking, you need to significantly increase your weekly mileage. If I were you, I'd seriously consider downgrading to the half. My $0.02.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

freckles

I am training for my 1st marathon in mid April too ( but am slower than you. ) I do just over half my miles during the week, and just less than half as a long run. Maybe if you did more miles mid week it would give you a better base?

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is your log an accurate representation of your mileage? Assuming that it is, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you don't posses enough of a base to support your long runs. In fact, according to your log, it seems around 80% of your weekly mileage is covered in your long run. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that if you want to go 26.2 miles two months from now without tanking, you need to significantly increase your weekly mileage. If I were you, I'd seriously consider downgrading to the half. My $0.02.
                            I wholeheartedly agree. I think a half would even be kinda uncomfortable at that mileage. I try to get ~35 miles/week in the weeks leading up to a half. Before attempting my first full I am planning to get 45-50 miles/week.

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Easy. You aren't running enough between your long runs--so there's way too much stress on one day of the week, and way too little stress on the other days. It's not an optimal way to train, at all. This is a common mistake with beginning runners training for the marathon--you think that to prepare for a really long run, you have to run really long. What you need to do is to figure out how to run a lot. And that means spreading out your volume over the entire 7 days of the week. You're much better off running every day and thinking about your training as maximizing the miles run per week than by focusing on one longer run every 7 days. As a general rule, if your long run is more than 35% of your weekly mileage, you're not training optimally.
                                Agree with the others. You need more base AND probably slow it down. You shouldn't be racing in training. Also, consider how your fueling and hydrating during the run as well as recovery after the run. But definitely get out running more.
                                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog