Realistic First Marathon Target time (Read 3780 times)

Unfortunately I had neither, which the imprint of my butt from a 4 year stint on the bench of a lousy (but fun) D1 team can attest to.

That's pretty cool (not riding the bench, but making it to that level).  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm so lost I'm not even sure what the T word is.

Was it something to do with doing coke and chasing hookers? Cause I saw that go by up above.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

I think I use it when I'm in Boston.  Which isn't often, and never on Patriots' Day.

Ok -  I am going to run 3.30 or as close as possible.   At least under 4 hrs.

Here you go,interesting link an interview Steve Jones who still holds the british record in the Marathon at 2hr 07min 13sec.  Basically saying that sports nutrition, cross training, etc largely don't add that much value.  “To improve at running, you run,”  I think just looking at the content on this board there is too much "analysis paralysis"from runners.  

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/other-sports-news/interview-steve-jones-why-over-complication-of-a-simple-sport-has-caused-britain-to-fall-behind-africa-1.1016102

MK, hope your still here, all is going well, and the miles are piling up. I went ahead and donated $20 to RA in your honor. Only appropriate for you to have the last word and post after Paris! Nice ring to it, Post after Paris!

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Smile  Well Guys training away - long distances nice and slow don't seem to tire me out too much -  14 miles a few days ago was not too bad, - Abeit slowly in 2 hrs 15.  I know I can run it faster.

I want to run the 26 mile distance before the race, so just it up week by week, maybe 16 miles run at the weekend.  Besides these long slow runs are good for weight loss, and calorie burning.

I am thinking just up my miles to 65 per week, and then try to perform them faster every week as I get closer to the Marathon

I am off booze which is good - as even a few glasses of wine add the cals - and makes you more likely to have a day off.  Happy to wait until the marathon to have a blowout.

Next stage is start getting those faster 10Ks, down to 50 mins, and then down to 45 Mins - this is the tough part carry weight, and trying to keep that pace up for the marathon.

I am eating a lot of Carbohydrates - just seem to crave bread, rivita crackers, breakfast cererals -  nearly living on the stuff - and plenty tea and coffee to add.

Wonder if cutting out bread, breakfast cereals, rivita crackers would be a good idea to increase the weight loss- then just use fruits, veg, of course pasta,  potatoes, rice could still be eaten at meals - but reducing all munching on bread.

MrH

Matt Fitzgerald has a relatively new book called racing weight that you might find useful.

Adding powdered whey protein into meals like breakfast oatmeal and post run chocolate milkshake will help refuel and repress the hunger pangs.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Pammie

I wouldn't bother trying to run 26 miles before the day itself  those long runs will take it out of you save it for the day itself. The idea is to get to the start line healthy and fit

Smile  Well Guys training away - long distances nice and slow don't seem to tire me out too much -  14 miles a few days ago was not too bad, - Abeit slowly in 2 hrs 15.  I know I can run it faster.

I want to run the 26 mile distance before the race, so just it up week by week, maybe 16 miles run at the weekend.  Besides these long slow runs are good for weight loss, and calorie burning.

I am thinking just up my miles to 65 per week, and then try to perform them faster every week as I get closer to the Marathon

I'm just a rook when it comes to marathons (first and only was December), but I'm not sure you want to run a 26 miler.  Other than maybe a confidence booster, I don't think that will help you much.  Throw in an extra 20 miler or two to whatever schedule you're using.  Also, it doesn't matter that your 14 miles was run what you call slow.  You should be doing those longer runs at a slower pace.  It probably is better to look at those long runs in terms of time and not miles anyway.  It's how long you ran, not how far.  Like I said, I'm just a rook so others would probably have much better advice. 

Oh, I shouldn't let myself get sucked into this -- or get played. Blush

I am thinking just up my miles to 65 per week, and then try to perform them faster every week as I get closer to the Marathon.

Next stage is start getting those faster 10Ks, down to 50 mins, and then down to 45 Mins ...

I don't think you should run a 26-miler as part of your training.  I also think it's a bad idea to have each week's long run get progressively longer than the previous week's long run.  Stress and recovery.  Ebb and flow.  Yin and yang.

I don't think you should try to push the overall pace each week over the previous week.  Do the runs at whatever pace gives you the best aerobic bang for the mileage buck.  Don't court injury needlessly.

I like to think those "10ks" are races, not training runs.  Right?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

SMART Approach

Don't do a 26 mile training run unless training for an ultra marathon!  Get a few 3 hour runs in and you will be fine in addition to your other weekly mileage. I would rather you get  some 3 hr runs in and rather than add mileage to that, throw in  a faster finish over last few miles.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

The dude's been told that earlier in this thread several times, but apparently knows best.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Of course it's hard to know exactly what's the best training, but for marathons I like to try and finish my long runs strongly - the marathon only gets hard towards the end, so it's good to get used to working hard at the end of your long runs. If you're feeling that they're easy then try picking up the pace in the second half. I don't think it matters so much what pace you run the first part - but aim to run the second half at a good pace. Normally a bit slower than marathon pace, but on at least some of them try and do the second half at marathon pace. I'm vaguely following one of the training plans from Pfitz and Douglas at the moment (and have done so in the past) - and this is how they recommend doing your long runs.

It's also a good confidence builder if you get used to running at marathon pace at the end of your long runs .

xhristopher

I'm doing 3 27s before my next marathon with the last one being the weekend before. I'm convinced the marathon has to be easier after that and I'm sure I can go 2:20 if I can just put my mind to it. It's gonna be epic.

And those 27 miles at under 5:20 pace, then the race will truly feel like just another weekend training run.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And those 27 miles at under 5:20 pace, then the race will truly feel like just another weekend training run.

But you should pick up the pace for the last 10 miles of them - maybe push under 5.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.