two questions track workouts on treadmill and best intervals to prepare for tough mudder (Read 1135 times)

The King of Beasts

If you studied T-Rex and how ostriches run, you'd be able to do it as well...

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

More video, less insulting,  would probably help convey your argument better.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

the joys of writing in a forum is based upon insulting..

If you can't argue science, then attacking the individual is the only other option.

Take the time to try the masking tape exercise and the science to my arguement is easily demonstrated.

I call it the masking tape exercise, and its described in this link: Yes, I'm the robert in the picture...

http://stewsmith.com/linkpages/evolutionofrunning.htm

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Purdey

Self anointed title

You are pretty special aren't you? We are not dinosaurs, and we are not ostriches.

The fastest animals on land are cheetahs right? Therefore shouldn't we be running on all fours? I think your study is flawed.

So I took the time to read the article.   The majority of it is about foot strike, form, etc.  which appears to be a compilation of information from established theories rather than something new about arm motion.  I don't see much in here saying humans are most efficient at running when they don't swing their arms.  Your video of the kenyans shows them swinging their arms.  If one of the runners is you on the article, then even you appear to be swinging your arms.  If your main point is about arm motion, I'm not getting it.

I have the tough mudder in October which is 10 miles and 19 obstacles. 

Is the TM on a ski mountain? If so, what type of elevation? I did the TM in Vermont, which was on a ski mountain and that type of interval training would not have been very useful. The obstacles were further apart than they looked, plus you were constantly going up and down the mountain. I read somewehere that it was around 14k of elevation gain and loss over the 10 mile course. I spent most of the time power hiking, until we would finally hit some flat or downhill and then pushed a bit. Most of the obstacles don't take as much out of you as you'd think. The killers for me were the ones with icy cold water(35F). The 12 ft walls weren't that bad as long as you had help getting over. I did it more for fun that trying to qualify for WTM mostly because I was running it with a friend and also because we were not in the first wave at 9am. We didn't go out until 10:40 so we encountered some backups at obstacles. Most were short waits of 5 minutes or less, but we did have to wait at least 30-40 minutes at Glacier (50ft wall of snow that you had to climb straight up and over).

If your TM is on a ski slope then I would just keep your strength training up and do a lot of easy miles and lots of hill and trail running

again... I've tried running like an ostrich.  My hyperextended knees didn't like it. 

my T-Rex studies have been difficult as well.  In circa 1974 Land of the Lost they didn't so much run as shuffle.  In the circa 2006 movie version they jumped and did some impressive things including understanding spoken English.  So the documentation is inconsistent.  Perhaps if you have actual footage it would help me.  Preferably if the T-Rex was shod, 'cause I'm not into that barefoot trail running stuff.  I expect the Rex was more of a mid-foot strider in shoes. 

trex

a

heel striker...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I think that is a photograph of an Allosaurus.

The T-Rex has smaller arms.  This allows him to avoid swinging them.  Also most T-Rex I have viewed did not have eyebrows.  But this is not universal. 

my T-Rex studies have been difficult as well.  In circa 1974 Land of the Lost they didn't so much run as shuffle.  In the circa 2006 movie version they jumped and did some impressive things including understanding spoken English.  So the documentation is inconsistent.  Perhaps if you have actual footage it would help me.  Preferably if the T-Rex was shod, 'cause I'm not into that barefoot trail running stuff.  I expect the Rex was more of a mid-foot strider in shoes. 

I feel your pain.  In April I took two of my daughters to the Universal theme park in Orlando mostly for the Harry Potter world but on our way out we rode the Jurassic Park river ride.  When the T-Rex tried to eat our boat I never even saw its legs.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised to find out it had no legs or that its legs were just a bunch of steel girders.  What bullshit.

Runners run

Makes me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vafareunculo#p/u/33/__Uv7DjCHN8

Wait; is jester really the one who put that video together?  I'm sorry, I didn't go through it thoroughly (because I didn't want to waste my time) but, I tell ya, if it is, he lost ALL the credit right then.  I'm one of those people who IS interested in that kind of stuff, barefoot running--or more accurately, efficient rechnique--has a very much valid message.  Could a man break 2-hours if he worked on more efficient running style?  You know, it could be possible.  I would not throw this idea out the window based on the "concept".  But that video...  Has anybody noticed, for example, at one picture of Wanjiru he's measuring the angle of lower leg; Wanjiru is clearly well into the "support" phase (he's already landed and hiw Center of Gravity getting over his foot)--NO WONDER his lower leg angle is even less than the right angle!!  And he's comparing THAT with Meg before touch-down!!  Talk about twisting the fact to support his wacko idea...  This, I thought, was one of the greatest examples of how "nobody" can become an expert in the cyber world and spread misinformation.

Well if we admire fast athletes, then fact the cheetah's native habitat is Kenya, then that connection seems obvious.

As the women of Kenya and other tribes in the area created their own walking and load bearing techniques that no "expert" can answer, then I'll gladly describe them as morons...

That African pygmies have greater running economy than shod runners do leaves fact that they're biomechanically superior athletes given they hunt ostriches for food. That we have no native animals superior to them in speed is a much more logical answer than what's been stated by "experts" to explain their skills.

And if no expert can explain the above facts, then they really don't know much do they....

And, sorry, dude.  This is where (I know, Spaniel, I'm slow) you really start to lose credibility with me.  What the hell does cheetah living in Kenya have got anything to do with this?  Hipo lives in Kenya too.  And pygmies catching ostriches?  Do they catch them in a head-to-head footrace or do they actually use what human seem to have most over any other form of animal; intelligence (brain) and skillset (hands)? 

And I'll study T-Rex run when I got 1/3 of my entire body weight in my tail.  With that kind of tail, my Center of Gravity might shift a tad...

trex

a

heel striker...

You do realize, however, that his "heel" is actually a little bump way above that?  So he IS technically landing on the ball of his foot. 

I tried to be clever and added the arrow to the image but then I don't know how to add my own image to this page...  Oh, well...

Feeling the growl again

And, sorry, dude.  This is where (I know, Spaniel, I'm slow) you really start to lose credibility with me.  What the hell does cheetah living in Kenya have got anything to do with this?  Hipo lives in Kenya too.  And pygmies catching ostriches?  Do they catch them in a head-to-head footrace or do they actually use what human seem to have most over any other form of animal; intelligence (brain) and skillset (hands)? 

And I'll study T-Rex run when I got 1/3 of my entire body weight in my tail.  With that kind of tail, my Center of Gravity might shift a tad...

Big grin

There you go Nobby, trying to bring logic into this again.

I'm really interested in this whole 20% claim.  Let's even back off claiming I could run a sub-2 marathon.  There are thousands or tens of thousands of 36:00 10K runners out there.  Surely one of them would be willing to take up this 20% improvement challenge and become a 30:00 runner competing with most of the better college runners out there and winning all but the most competitive road races in the nation?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Big grin

There you go Nobby, trying to bring logic into this again.

Sorry, man!  I just hate when people try to bring such pseudo-logic into otherwise straight-forward logic.  Arthur Lydiard claimed he ate red meat 5 times a week (and he had very high cholesterole level but he did alright).  He was one time confronted by an enthusiastic vegitarian who tried to out-logic him.  He said; "Look at elephants!  They only eat vegitables and look how strong they are!"  Arthur replied; "Well, lions eat meat and they are not too shabby either!"  Oh, one of my fondest memories of the man... ;o)