Help for distance/speed (Read 73 times)

Surfside

So good news is I started back running again -46yr old male, under 200 pds. The bad news is I’m slow and winded. My routine is run a mile to best of my ability and then walk the rest up to 2 miles or so. My time for one mile is 9.56 which has been best as of today. I try to get out 3x week.

I am looking for suggestions to improve my time while increasing my distance. Thanks

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Don't worry about your time or pace yet. That will come. Walking is good too.  If you are running three times a week, mix it up and don't run identical mileage every day. Your body will get used to that. Run at a conversational pace; if you can speak in short sentences, it's good. You aren't racing so don't push it hard every day. You are trying to build fitness and as you run more, you will get faster naturally.

If you are logging your runs here, make your log public. We have great people on this board who will look at your log and give you tailored suggestions.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Slow it down and don't try to run to the best of your ability every time.  I'd suggest do that maybe once a month as a gauge for where you are and a measure of improvement.  Caution: improvement is not linear.  You will most likely hit plateaus where it doesn't seem like you're improving, but the changes are happening, and if you are patient you will eventually see them.  You may also want to consider short, intermittent walk breaks in your running, rather than run a mile, then walk a mile.  Then gradually decrease the frequency and/or length of the walk breaks to increase the time and distance running.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Next run try to run at a 12 minute a mile pace.

see how far you can go

Luciplay

You can do it, do it one at a time. If you are running three times a week, mix it up and don't run identical mileage every day. Your body will get used to that. Run at a conversational pace; if you can speak in short sentences, it's good.