Left Ankle hurts - what is it? (Read 14739 times)

zephyr_00

Hi - I have been running 12 - 15 miles per week and then increased my mileage to 20MPW for the last month. Last week my left ankle started hurting on the outside. There is NO swelling but just slight discomfort. I gave it rest for 3 days but had to run 5 miles again today (for my sanity) and I ran each mile slower by a minute. I still feel the discomfort when my foot strikes the ground. Any ideas what it is? Should I see the doc? Any reccomendations for a doc in Manhattan? Should I keep running since the pain is not bad?
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's the joint between your left foot and your left shin. I'm so utterly and completely sorry - I just couldn't resist.

SMART Approach

Sounds like it may be a stress reaction to the higher miles and pounding. Or, are your shoes worn out??? I am not a doc but my suggestion would be to take another day or two off and then warm that ankle up before next run. Soak in hot tub or bath while rotating ankle. Then go do 3 miles comfortable preferrably on a softer surface or treadmill before trying the road. Also, evaluate your shoes.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

C-R

Zeph, Not a doc but have had my share of ankle issues. Sounds like you upped your mileage agressively. If I up my miles, I do the extra miles a bit slower to let my body grow accustom. Not sure if this is the "coaches" advice but it works for me. Also, check your shoes as they may be worn (can't see your log to help on this one) to a point they don't provide proper support. Also, you mentioned Manhattan - I take it you run on concrete for the most part? If so, add some softer surfaces - grass, track or treadmill to give you lower legs a breather. Concrete is as hard as it gets when running. Rest is awlays good and build back slowly 1 mile at a time. Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

Old shoes?
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Are you running on one side of the road? Sometimes if the road is slanted it can give you a problem on one side. Probably need to take another day off anyway to rest it. Hope it gets better soon.
              zephyr_00

Its not old shoes - I just got myself a new pair of Asics Gel Nimbus in January. This morning I am limping around as I can't walk but after a while of walking it gets better. I am wondering if I should go see a doctor. There is not too much pain but its when I put weight on my ankle that it hurts. Feels like a ligament issue maybe.
                  Yikes! Limping isn't good. Time to see the doctor for sure to at least figure out what is going on. Healing vibes...
                    I'm not a doc either but I've seen enough of them with running injuries to know that they are going to tell you to stop running and take a weeks course of NSAID's for the inflammation. Save yourself some trouble and try that before you see a doc. If you've done that and are still having problems when you see one they'll likely recommend an x-ray or scan to check for a fracture. Tom

Member Since 2008

I have had the same issue before. I had a pain just below the ball of my ankle on the outer side. If this is different than yours, ignore the rest of what I have to say: There is a tendon there that can easily become aggravated and cause pain at the slightest touch. What worked for me was simply applying a small band-aid on the spot of pain and it eventually went away. If it hurts when you are walking around the house without shoes on, that's a whole other story, possible stress fracture. Remember, try not to increase your milage by more than 10% per week. Just my thoughts!
                      zephyr_00

Its been 10 days now since my outer ankle has been hurting. I went to see a Sports Doc and she took some Xrays to checks for a stress fracture and couldn't see anything. She told me to take motrin and ice it - exactly what I have been doing BUT it just doesn't feel better. I hurt in the morning when I wake up and kinda hobble for a bit and then it gets better. i tried the stationary bike 2 days ago and it hurt when I stood up on the bike. I am so STRESSED as I really miss running. I got laid off from my job and running is the ONLY thing that kept me feeling positive. My doctor couldn't really tell what it was and just said it could be tendonitis. Any suggestions/ideas?
                          Its been 10 days now since my outer ankle has been hurting. I went to see a Sports Doc and she took some Xrays to checks for a stress fracture and couldn't see anything. She told me to take motrin and ice it - exactly what I have been doing BUT it just doesn't feel better. I hurt in the morning when I wake up and kinda hobble for a bit and then it gets better. i tried the stationary bike 2 days ago and it hurt when I stood up on the bike. I am so STRESSED as I really miss running. I got laid off from my job and running is the ONLY thing that kept me feeling positive. My doctor couldn't really tell what it was and just said it could be tendonitis. Any suggestions/ideas?
                          Coming from someone who just recently finished a nasty bout of tendonitis in the heel area, I will tell you that there is little more you can do that they haven't told you. Mine was so severe that I had to go on a Pred-Pack ( mild steroid) to stamp out the pain. this got me mobile again, and I have been battling hard to get back into a regular routine. It takes alot of time to heal, you cannot rush it. Cross train, and when you are mostly pain free, just do some short very easy runs. Stay positive, Channel the energy into your cross training. It will help alot. Good Luck, Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zephyr_00

Thanks! I have turned to spinning and yoga to cross train, but I truly miss running. I guess I just have to wait it out. Is there any way to definitely confirm if it is tendonitis? As the doctor didn't seem sure herself. Can you tell from an Xray?

#artbydmcbride

It's the joint between your left foot and your left shin. I'm so utterly and completely sorry - I just couldn't resist.
                              Big grin

Runners run

grateful runner

Um... I'm not a doctor, but in my opinion, you need a 2nd opinion. Tendonitis can be diagnosed with an MRI - not an xray. Also some problems require taking all of the weight off the foot - "the boot". I know peroneal tendonitis from experience and can tell you that it is hard to get rid of if you are using your feet. Do you wear running shoes all the time? Orthos? - very important to address this topic too.
                                2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month